Phantom XT864 public unveiling

sniperUK

Yesterday Phantom FG.1. XT864 was revealed to the public following a three year restoration at the Ulster Aviation Society.  Previously the gate guard at Leuchars she was moved to the UAS Maze site in 2015 and has been returned to her 892 NAS scheme of "007" , the painting is all down to one volunteer at the society, Ian Hendry, a former RAF painter.

26896032577_85dc7c52ac_c.jpgIMG_5123 by Tony Osborne, on Flickr

41722871312_d08c93993e_c.jpgIMG_5129 by Tony Osborne, on Flickr

39956437100_1ac9880869_c.jpgIMG_5142 by Tony Osborne, on Flickr

26895866957_370de3362c_c.jpgIMG_5149 by Tony Osborne, on Flickr

40864796715_1d29f80eb8_c.jpgIMG_5160 by Tony Osborne, on Flickr

27894995778_ffb94ae245_c.jpgIMG_5167 by Tony Osborne, on Flickr

40864727675_7ab722de17_c.jpgIMG_5191 by Tony Osborne, on Flickr

• Like 38
  • Thanks 7

What a fantastic job, very inspirational. I would definitely like to have a version of the FG.1 on display in that scheme.

Thanks for the photos.

Outstanding work by all concerned,fantastic work by the painter and what a scheme to finish her in too,I will hang my head in shame the next time

I moan about painting a model in a gloss finish !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beautiful, and all the more annoying that Yeovilton don't have their 892 FG.1 on permanent display!

I notice that not many of the stencils are on either of the repainted aircraft!.🤫

5 hours ago, At Sea said:

Beautiful, and all the more annoying that Yeovilton don't have their 892 FG.1 on permanent display!

I notice that not many of the stencils are on either of the repainted aircraft!.🤫

A lot more stencils still to add,  then there is the systems to fold the wings, operate the tailhook extend the refuelling probe, fit the weapons..................

Ruddy outstanding! The only colour scheme a Spey Phantom looks good in. 

EDIT: Just watched the documentary and a massive BZ to all involved in the restoration.

Edited by Darby
Addendum
  • Like 1

Now can we get that to Telford🤔 for display......

did they use a pre or post shading on the panel lines?

Steve.

Edited by speedy

1 hour ago, sniperUK said:

A lot more stencils still to add,  then there is the systems to fold the wings, operate the tailhook extend the refuelling probe, fit the weapons..................

Please don't misunderstand me!  I am delighted to see her restored.  I was more laughing at myself for spending hours stencilling my own Phantoms!

1 minute ago, At Sea said:

Please don't misunderstand me!  I am delighted to see her restored.  I was more laughing at myself for spending hours stencilling my own Phantoms!

I have a running joke with the painter that at least he could see his stencils and wasn't going crosseyed ;) He did use the Airfix instructions to support the APs though for placement etc

• Haha 1

The UAS is really one of the best volunteer run collections around, visits need to be pre booked due to politics I won't go into (not the UAS fault)  

Some of their aircraft,

Spitfire replica

Puma HC.1 XW22

Wessex HC.2

Scout AH.1

Allouette III

Canberra PR.9

Buccaneer 

Seahawk

Jet Provost

Vampire T.11

Tucano prototype

Short 330

Short SHERPA experimental

Grumman Wildcat (under restoration

Gannet (under restoration)

Fairchild Argus (under restoration)

then the Phantom ;) and several light aircraft, plus three other RAF aircraft hopefully due this year .

ulsteraviationsociety.org/

• Like 3

On 4/29/2018 at 10:20 AM, Britman said:

Give that man a medal and a big well done to the team as well. Nice touch with the nose leg.

And even more impressively, removed the large ILS aerials from the upper fin which were RAF only.

On 4/29/2018 at 2:14 PM, At Sea said:

The FG.1 is on permanent display.  The 892 Sqn FGR.2 isn't though 🦑

Great refinish of this Phantom, and cracking pictures @sniperUK, thanks for sharing.

• Like 2