Cornish Fishing Luggers

On 5/3/2018 at 7:12 AM, longshanks said:

@robgizlu  Rob I've been think about your skiff which I'm thinking you going to build (at some point in the future) @ 1/72 . You asked about plank on frame in plastic. Is it necessary  to go that far. Points to ponder caulk lines in the plank would be in the order of 0.05mm. There is very little bare wood, most being painted for preservation. The areas that are not are bulwark capping rails, deck & masts. The mast on my Mounts Bay wood. Deck could be wood veneer or painted to look like wood.

Where I'm going with this is the simplest form of hull construction would be 'Bread & Butter' exactly how I made the plug for the Mounts Bay Lugger & the hull for the Puffer. 40' hull @ 1/72 = 170mm easily done and so quick and simple to build.

Just my thoughts

Kev

And Good thoughts too.  This is now firmly down on my "retirement list".

Rob

Edited by robgizlu
  • Haha 1

On 5/2/2018 at 12:08 AM, longshanks said:

Go and wash your mind out with salt water !! There are 'Salty Seadogs' across the universe turning in their watery graves. I had visions of the Black Pearl rearing up from the depths!!  

She has a Dipping Lug on the foremast & a Standing Lug on the Mizzen

A half mould hull is like I made for the Mounts Bay Lugger plug (obviously only half) Page 1, 1st post. 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235030173-mounts-bay-fishing-lugger-and-wreck/

To do it properly (and I'm not being rude) Probably   To give you an idea of how the planks need to be shaped

clinker 014 edit

I will do it if I live long enough!

As to the merits of plastic or wood I feel there are pluses on both sides .....

HTH

Kev

Know exactly what you mean Kev, when I planked the Bluesnose each plank was a different shape but not as much as above will watch with interest 

Regards

Richard

• 4 weeks later...

Been a while since I posted so I thought I'd start bringing you up to date

Start making the half mould of Ebenezer a St Ives Lugger

First off the waterlines taking from the plan. I sticking these to 1.5mm thick plastic card. Traditionalist would make these out of wood but I don't have a planer thicknesser and I'm not keen on sanding.

P1080878 (Copy)

Here I'm sticking card to the piece to make up the overall depth of the waterline section. In this case 4mm overall. So 1.5mm waterline plus 1.5 (made from the off cuts) + 1mm = 4mm.

P1080880 (Copy)

Shaping the waterline

P1080883 (Copy)

Here are the levels coming together. Note it is only the original waterlines (Green) that count. The infills are stepped in to allow good contact with filler.

P1080885 (Copy)

All the pieces together and the gaps infilled with P38 Easy sand and given a sanding

P1080886 (Copy)

P1080887 (Copy)

P1080888 (Copy)

Note the shape is done by eye. Don't get to anal about every piece of the template showing green. I tried perfection in the past and you will be surprised how far out the vessels ines can be.  Eye and feel is the way to go. To be continued ............

Thanks for looking in

Kev

• Like 9

Interesting method of achieving the hull shape :book:

And one serious bit of sanding kit on the workbench I see no blood stains so you must be a careful operator 👍🏻

Safety first as they say.

beefy 

14 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

That's better, more please! :poke:

Reminded me of my school report

Yes you guessed it, Must try harder ….

14 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Interesting method of achieving the hull shape

Probably about the largest hull possible by this method, 222mm. Time will tell.

A  friend mentioned the cost! I'm paying approx. £4 for a sheet 1.5 x 650 x 225mm and I reckon I used half a sheet so far.

And one serious bit of sanding kit on the workbench

A piece of kit I couldn't do without scratch building ask @Bandsaw Steve

The vertical sander on mine is poor, but it's great for concave sanding.

so you must be a careful operator 

Don't say that to loudly, it has all the wrong connotations

Safety first as they say

I don't think I would last long it your world before I was asked to leave  :rolleyes:

Kev

• Like 3

Loving it - The finer points of sander machines being lost on me - it still looks an impressive piece of kit

Why couldn't you build larger using this method?

Rob

6 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Why couldn't you build larger using this method?

Good question Rob. :banghead:

The biggest problem I guess is in filling between the water line templates. As the model boat gets larger you've still got to infill and your building it up in layers. I will check tomorrow but I think the largest sheet I can get is 2.75 x 660 x 1300mm. I think at some point it's going to be more effective to change to a centre line with hull sections attached and infilled with foam. Then resin painted over. HTH but its probably clear as mud.

@Ray S good to see you lurking. About time we had another of your lovely steamships :nodding:

Got some paint on to show the lines / holes etc better

P1080891 (Copy)

P1080893 (Copy)

P1080894 (Copy)

Current reading may give you a clue to a future project …...

First section completed St Ives Mackrel Driver 'Ebenezer'

P1080890 (Copy)

Anyone curious the muck in the bottom is to replicate beach stones used as ballast

To finish the shape of the hull I need a template cut to the Rabbet line, the black arrows below. Rabbet lines is the point where the planks finish flush with the keel, stem etc

P1080895 (Copy)

The red line indicates the sheer line, in this case the top of the bulwark

P1080896 (Copy)

Thanks for stopping by, I hope I'm not boring you with detail

Kev

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, longshanks said:

@Ray S good to see you lurking. About time we had another of your lovely steamships :nodding:

Kev

Hi Kev, I will get back to my 'Knight Templar' soon, I promise! I struck a barrier with the build, and need to get back to it. I think your bread and butter type hull building is a really good idea, and it is one I will try on my next ship scratch build! I pick up so many ideas from projects like yours, thanks for going into the details!

All the best,

Ray

On ‎03‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 18:50, Ray S said:

I will get back to my 'Knight Templar' soon, I promise!

We will hold you to that 😉

On ‎03‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 18:50, Ray S said:

I struck a barrier with the build

Anything we can offer suggestions on?

19 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

That's all most satisfactory, you may continue!

Thank you Martian the benevolent :rolleyes:

13 hours ago, Hewy said:

A proper "how to" lesson on hulls going on here, a fine display of skills making it most interesting,

Not sure about fine but if it helps anyone I'd be chuffed

Some progress of refining the hull has been made. The original bread & butter sections have been fixed to the rabbet template

P1080905 (Copy)

I have also glued some packers on the decks to be blended into the shear line

P1080906 (Copy)

As I have said before if I'm not making sense (QUIET Martian), feel free to ask either here or by PM

Thanks for looking in

Kev

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 6/4/2018 at 7:20 PM, longshanks said:

We will hold you to that 😉

Anything we can offer suggestions on?

Kev

Hi Kev, I think it was more of a mental blockage! I was getting to the stage where I needed to start thinking on how to make up four winches (Ronnie Barker could have a field day with that!) and how to deal with the sails. The more I thought about those issues, the more I felt a bit overwhelmed! I had ordered quite a bit of etch from North Star - railings, ships hand wheels, cargo hoist blocks, life buoys and a couple of sizes of rigging loops. I also have some etched cable reel, and am thinking about using them (suitably adjusted) as the basis for the winches. All the bits and pieces, including the main ship, are permanently on my work space, as a reminder that I need to get on with it...

Basically, I have the stuff, but just needed the proverbial kick up the wotsit!

Thanks for the offer of help, that meant a lot!

All the best, Ray

55 minutes ago, Ray S said:

four winches (Ronnie Barker could have a field day with that!)

:rofl2:

The more I thought about those issues, the more I felt a bit overwhelmed!

I know that feeling only to well . That's why I normally have a couple(or three) of projects on the go. If one gets stressey. I move over, modelling is for fun and the answer you will struggling with will pop up!

I also have some etched cable reel, and am thinking about using them (suitably adjusted) as the basis for the winches.

Sounds like a cunning plan …..

You mentioned sails are you thinking deployed or wrapped?

Thanks for the support all of you

Kev

2 hours ago, longshanks said:

:rofl2:

I know that feeling only to well . That's why I normally have a couple(or three) of projects on the go. If one gets stressey. I move over, modelling is for fun and the answer you will struggling with will pop up!

Sounds like a cunning plan …..

You mentioned sails are you thinking deployed or wrapped?

Thanks for the support all of you

Kev

Hello Kev, I have been fairly rattling through models just recently, and been doing subjects I would rarely touch (like AFV's), so I have been 'relaxing'.

I have sent a PM about the sails, as I do not want to sidetrack your Lugger topic.

Keep up the good work!

Ray

• Like 1

You may have noticed but this alien doesn't do quiet! However, I am rather enjoying your ramblings.

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

With the paint on and the shape now coming out the planks look very subtle great job so far. :popcorn:

6 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

You may have noticed but this alien doesn't do quiet! However, I am rather enjoying your ramblings.

Martian 👽

And Martian 👽 is rather subtle these days to must have something to do with the weather this time of year. 🙊

Beefy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, beefy66 said:

With the paint on and the shape now coming out the planks look very subtle great job so far. :popcorn:

And Martian 👽 is rather subtle these days to must have something to do with the weather this time of year. 🙊

Beefy

I thought subtle was my middle name!

The Shrinking Violet of Mars 👽

• Haha 1

On ‎06‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 23:41, Martian Hale said:

I am rather enjoying your ramblings.

So pleased that I'm entertaining the Master from the Ether (Looked up the dictionary definition of this and I'm not sure which defines you best)

20 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I thought subtle was my middle name!

The Shrinking Violet of Mars 👽

Look out Keith! Subtle is when he's about to come at you from behind ………….

and the side ……………..

and the front ………………….

whatever you do don't look him in the eye (s) (s) (s)

👽

Kev

Edited by longshanks
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, longshanks said:

Look out Keith! Subtle is when he's about to come at you from behind ………….

Bugger! rumbled again. I would have got away with it if it wasn't for those pesky kids.

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Bugger! rumbled again. I would have got away with it if it wasn't for those pesky kids.

Those pesky kids are a lot quicker than we give them credit for

I was not worried about the eyes it was where he was going to put the antennas  😱

All things blocked with something or other  :blush:

let me know when I can breath again  😵

beefy 

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

A few steps forward,

Hull completed to rabbet line

P1080920 (Copy)

Keel piece applied. It will be seen that the hull falls short of the rabbet line. This is because the planking fairs into the keel

P1080921 (Copy)

Fairing the hull into the keel

P1080948 (Copy)

The finished hull

P1080950 (Copy)

P1080951 (Copy)

P1080952 (Copy)

Showing the sheer on these boats

P1080953 (Copy)

All that remains is to finish it for display. Current thoughts are white or black gloss, or try for a wood grain finish.

Any thoughts??

Thanks for looking in

Kev

• Like 3