Cornish Fishing Luggers

While waiting for some bits I've been playing around with an idea.

I have long been fascinated with the different hull design/sailing rigs that have developed around our coast. So to illustrate this I've set out to build a couple of boats separated by 6/7 miles as the crow flies. The idea is to build a half mould hull and section of each in 1/72 to illustrate this. The first section of ' Ebenezer ' SS340 a St Ives Mackerel Driver built in 1869, is 30mm  (1 1/4") wide.

This shows the plan I will be building on

P1070997 (Copy)

Laying up the pieces that make the frame

P1070998 (Copy)

Deck beam and hold floor plus started planking the hull

P1080014 (Copy)

P1080015 (Copy)

P1080016 (Copy)

Nearly finished planking hull

P1080017 (Copy)

P1080019 (Copy)

Thanks for stopping by

Kev

Edited by longshanks
  • Like 10

Interesting to see this done in plastic, usually the preserve of the modellers who work in wood. 

Have you got a copy of Greenhill, Mannering (Eds) "Inshore Craft: Tradtional Workign Vessels of the British Isles" (Seaforth, 1997). Plenty of inspiration in there!

Will

Thanks for your interest guys, much appreciated for my obscure whittling .....

Will, not got that one but ...........

I do have quite a few inshore craft reference books. As to inspiration I have somewhere in the order of 50 plans scanned into the computer on my to do list and that's without the Coastal Forces boats.

Thanks for the thought though

Kev

This is worth a watch. Have they got anything like that down in Charlestown? I tell you what, those boats could probably give a better turn of speed than the tractor I've just been stuck behind twixt Farms Common and The Lizard road. 

• Haha 1

@Killingholme    "Interesting to see this done in plastic, usually the preserve of the modellers who work in wood." 

Might upset the purists but I find it a lot easier to work with and avoids the all to often seen out of scale woodgrain,

@Martian Hale  "Interesting! I shall add my support to your project."

Oh Dear! Now I'm in trouble :wink:  Welcome aboard the sinking/sunk ship .....

@Darby  " I tell you what, those boats could probably give a better turn of speed than the tractor I've just been stuck behind twixt Farms Common and The Lizard road. "

Ah! The infamous Redruth to Helston road ......  Wasted large chunks of my life on that road. Still at least you made out to civilisation

Small update

P1080021 (Copy)

P1080024 (Copy)

P1080028 (Copy)

P1080029 (Copy)

P1080033 (Copy)

Thanks for looking in

Kev

Edited by longshanks
  • Like 7

57 minutes ago, longshanks said:

"Interesting! I shall add my support to your project."

Oh Dear! Now I'm in trouble :wink:  Welcome aboard the sinking/sunk ship .....

You love it really, your threads wouldn't be the same without me!

Martian 👽

• Haha 3

Great subject Kev!  I'm hooked

I immediate;y thought of this classic pic - a Fairmile C with a "Tunnyboat"

1f191195-91a4-4b71-ad5f-58f62a1ffe59.jpg

It's a big reminder as to how common sail still was through the war years.

Looking forward to seeing this unfold but Don't forget there's still that Dogboat!!!!

Rob

• Like 4

@robgizlu  " I immediate;y thought of this classic pic - a Fairmile C with a "Tunnyboat" "

Cracking pic Rob if you're interested I have plans for the Tunnyboat or Heller do a kit.......    :wink:

Don't worry these are just quicky builds to get some thing out of my system

St Ives Mackerel Driver frame/section finished

P1080100 (Copy)

P1080102 (Copy)

P1080107 (Copy)

Thanks for looking in

Kev  

• Like 9

Well I will have to keep an eye on your project Kev bound to pick up a few more tips along the way :book:

Oh and enjoy the banter with your green friend. 👽 like the new emojis 

🙈🙉🙊

beefy 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Martian Hale "The Heller kit is well worth building, I thoroughly enjoyed building mine."

That's good to know I just happen to have this in my stash ... null

@beefy66  "Well I will have to keep an eye on your project Kev bound to pick up a few more tips along the way "

More than welcome shipmate ..

"Oh and enjoy the banter with your green friend.  like the new emojis "

My Green Friend? I thought he was your Green Friend?

Don't tell anyone I think were being taken over null

Now to more serious matters (lol)

Hope your paying attention Keith

To transfer the shape of the ribs onto plastic I'm using the old follow the line with a pin routine

P1080046 (Copy)

First part of the frame shaped and held in place with CA glue

P1080044 (Copy)

Part two

P1080097 (Copy)

Third part fixed on top. The frame were built like this so that the shipwright could ensure the grain of the wood is following the line of the frame and ensures max strength. The parts were cut from pieces from the tree that were naturally curved.

P1080144 (Copy)

P1080145 (Copy)

It is now possible to see the difference in the sections between 'Ebenezer'/St Ives on the left and 'Boy Willie'/Penzance on the right

P1080143 (Copy)

The reason for the shape, St Ives harbour could have a large sideways surfs. Any legs used to hold the boat upright when the tide went out would be torn off. So the boat rested canted over, the strain taken on keel and the reinforcing at the turn of the bilge.

The wine glass shape of Penzance is more reminiscent of modern sailing boats. As stated the Penzance boats were supported by a leg either side bolted to the boat.

I'll be testing you later Keith :wink:

Hope you all enjoy the explanation

Kev

• Like 7

Fascinating! as my friend Spock is apt to say. Seriously though, this thread could turn out to be very educational.

Martian

• Thanks 1

Kev - you've got me thinking.  I checked out The St Ives mackerel driver - A junk rigged  schooner config!!!  Exotic.

I've been exploring the historical oyster skiff pictures that made me comment first off.  

Don't go and distract me from the Coastal forces builds :doh:

What do you mean exactly when you talk about building a "half mould hull...."?

Is it practical to build and plank in plastic at 1/72 scale for a whole boat ?

On 4/30/2018 at 6:40 PM, Martian Hale said:

The Heller kit is well worth building, I thoroughly enjoyed building mine.

Martian 👽

Martian - you are tempting me.  In 1/125 do you mind me asking roughly how big is the Heller kit?

rob

1 hour ago, robgizlu said:

Martian - you are tempting me.  In 1/125 do you mind me asking roughly how big is the Heller kit?

rob

The Hull is about eight inches long and from truck to keel is slightly less than a foot.

Martian

7 hours ago, robgizlu said:

I checked out The St Ives mackerel driver - A junk rigged  schooner config!!! 

Go and wash your mind out with salt water !! There are 'Salty Seadogs' across the universe turning in their watery graves. I had visions of the Black Pearl rearing up from the depths!!  

She has a Dipping Lug on the foremast & a Standing Lug on the Mizzen

A half mould hull is like I made for the Mounts Bay Lugger plug (obviously only half) Page 1, 1st post. 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235030173-mounts-bay-fishing-lugger-and-wreck/

7 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Is it practical to build and plank in plastic at 1/72 scale for a whole boat ?

To do it properly (and I'm not being rude) Probably   To give you an idea of how the planks need to be shaped

clinker 014 edit

I will do it if I live long enough!

As to the merits of plastic or wood I feel there are pluses on both sides .....

HTH

Kev

Edited by longshanks
  • Like 6

12 hours ago, longshanks said:

Go and wash your mind out with salt water !! There are 'Salty Seadogs' across the universe turning in their watery graves. I had visions of the Black Pearl rearing up from the depths!!  

She has a Dipping Lug on the foremast & a Standing Lug on the Mizzen

A half mould hull is like I made for the Mounts Bay Lugger plug (obviously only half) Page 1, 1st post. 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235030173-mounts-bay-fishing-lugger-and-wreck/

Kev

:blush::blush::elephant::fool::banghead:  It's important to remember that my club cycle jersey has the personal logo..."Fat , drunk and stupid"

The rear mast is higher so technically it IS a schooner and as for the rest........well it was late at night......... and they never taught us this on the RYA power-boating course :whistle:

I get the half mould hull now :doh:

12 hours ago, longshanks said:

I meant to ask ...

Does your wife know you're so easily led astray :whistle:

Kev

I swear that for my Pub cycling club - We very nearly called ourselves "The easily led club".  I rest my case M'Lord.

P.S.  as a penance for all of the above I shall purchase https://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/Inshore-Craft-Paperback/p/3776

And I'll climb back into my pickle jar:blink2:

Someone but not Rob

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

The Hull is about eight inches long and from truck to keel is slightly less than a foot.

Martian

Thanks Martian -

That is quite Big

Rob

• Haha 2

@robgizlu  Rob I've been think about your skiff which I'm thinking you going to build (at some point in the future) @ 1/72 . You asked about plank on frame in plastic. Is it necessary  to go that far. Points to ponder caulk lines in the plank would be in the order of 0.05mm. There is very little bare wood, most being painted for preservation. The areas that are not are bulwark capping rails, deck & masts. The mast on my Mounts Bay wood. Deck could be wood veneer or painted to look like wood.

Where I'm going with this is the simplest form of hull construction would be 'Bread & Butter' exactly how I made the plug for the Mounts Bay Lugger & the hull for the Puffer. 40' hull @ 1/72 = 170mm easily done and so quick and simple to build.

Just my thoughts

Kev

interesting little differences to very much the same shape  :book:

lurking and learning all at the same time  👨‍🎓

beefy

• Like 1