Chequered SE5a's.....

mackem01

I have just been perusing the Wings Pallette website and have come across a couple of interesting machines from 61 home defence squadron. B658 has a blue diamond pattern over

its normal colouring, while C1061 has the same type of pattern but in a red colour. Both are referenced to a book called Jasta Boelcke. Does anyone have this book and are the two

machines pictured or are they mentioned in text? Can the hive mind shed some light on this please as they would both make interesting modelling subjects.

T.I.A...

Edited by mackem01

Hi

Pheon Decals did this as a limited edition set and now have them on pre-order again. They're in 1/32 and the illustration on their website shows what look like Holt flares mounted underneath the rear fuselage.

Cheers

Phil

Thanks for the heads up Phil. Unfortunately I'm a confirmed 1/48th man. It does lend some credence to the colour scheme though, so that's a positive.

Also can any of you SE5 officianados tell me what engines would have been fitted to those particular aircraft?

Edited by mackem01
another question.

On 4/29/2018 at 7:04 AM, mackem01 said:

Thanks for the heads up Phil. Unfortunately I'm a confirmed 1/48th man. It does lend some credence to the colour scheme though, so that's a positive.

Also can any of you SE5 officianados tell me what engines would have been fitted to those particular aircraft?

The particular SE5A decaled by Pheon is D 3459, from 61 HD squadron in 1918. It was powered by a Hispano Suiza engine. The Pheon website has more info and reviews of their sheet may include more information. Much of it is speculative, though based on input from authorities like Ray Rimell. 

Those profiles you found are speculative as well. Without documentation, tread lightly.

In 1/48 you're talking about a lot of masking. If worst comes to worse . . . (Wrong engine, and probably color.)

s-l1600.jpg

• 2 months later...