Scania Hookloader

Ive had this in progress for about 12 months! I got an Italeri Scania topline and stretched the chassis using KFS parts, (TQ88 chassis rails) and at the back a double drive again from KFS, and the working straight beam twin steer axles are metal parts from, yes, KFS! these are stronger, and work with the correct angles when steering! I chopped the cab to a day cab, but left as the high R as I wanted it to look tall. A resin front bumper added to the tough look I wanted

39897396075_958c0514c4_z.jpgNew build 1/24 Scania R day cab 8x4 hookloader by richellis1978, on Flickr

This is how it sat for almost a year untill I got a body to go on to it!

• Like 2

When I knew KFS was doing a re-run of the hookloader kit I put my name down, KFS isnt cheap but the quality is spot on, no flash nor bubbles! 

A quick mock up showed my chassis that was to the spec sheets from Scania matched the KFS hookloader perfectly

39897395515_00f0b303f6_z.jpgNew build 1/24 Scania R day cab 8x4 hookloader by richellis1978, on Flickr

What is missing is the easysheet system so I made this up, building a tower at the front with the net holder, and then made the arms that pull the net back over the skip (the white bits!)

26065967977_29bd447e4f_z.jpgUntitled by richellis1978, on Flickr

Then it was time to throw some paint on, I got some chassis paint mixed up for the Scania Grey, and halfords appliance white for the cab

41411174012_f1b32c92d5_z.jpgUntitled by richellis1978, on Flickr

various bits are painted separately and added before I plumbed the chassis (done after painting as the cables on Scanias are black from the factory) 

41542723572_427d148b9b_z.jpgUntitled by richellis1978, on Flickr

41583586051_86758eafff_z.jpgUntitled by richellis1978, on Flickr

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I ordered some etched parts from Czech Truck models, including Haz-cem plates, model badges and some fantastic mesh for the grill, this allows the radiator and engine to be viable through the grill as the real truck is. the front shot shows the tall high look I was after on a truck that works on site, and the landfill. There are bits that need touching in where my brush work isnt that straight!

27829878478_1ae914e946_z.jpgUntitled by richellis1978, on Flickr

40799543415_34994ffb08_z.jpgUntitled by richellis1978, on Flickr

decals are on order, will be Veolia livery, a simple white cab and grey bin. This will be battered and filled with something to look like a load. The kit is fantastic as the bin can be loaded and tipped as the real truck does, and the rear doors lock and open!

• Like 5

Would like to do a similar truck one day, curious to see what you'll do to the bin. These things look awful most of the time, battered indeed!

Transports International Routiers, IIRC.  An international convention governing international transport of goods by road and rail.  The vehicles, their trailers, rail wagons and containers had to be designed and built to certain specifications to permit as tamper-proof security for the loads as possible.  Documentation, usually a TIR carnet and, within the EC, Community Transit documents, had to be produced at each border crossing and the integrity of any Customs or traders’ seals confirmed.  Any deficiency had to be investigated, often meaning the load coming off and being checked against transit documentation, loading lists and any other commercial or official documentation available.  This could keep us out of trouble for most of an eight-hour shift.  Some of this could be a bit squiffy as I’m relying on forty-year-old memory here and I can’t remember what happened at breakfast time......

I always liked the Scalia 110/111/140/141 ranges and the Volvo F10/F12/F16 ranges: wish I still had my Matchbox Volvo Globetrotter and Italeri Scalia 142.

Edited by stever219
  • Like 1

On 29/04/2018 at 00:33, stever219 said:

Documentation, usually a TIR carnet and, within the EC, Community Transit documents,

A CMR, if I remember correctly. Nice model BTW. Always did like Scanias.

John.

CMR Notes were often seen in addition to other documents.  Most recently I’ve seen them used as “proof of movement” for large quantities of mobile phones and computer accessories that probably didn’t really exist.

Bit more done today, last bit of modelling before Truckfest prep tomorrow for Sunday and Monday.

Decals have arrived and I got the hook loader painted and the skip bin painted. Its all been decaled ready to gloss coat next week before its weathered. The decals are spot on, the white ones are straight on the black and they look good (DodgersDecals on Facebook) Ive lost the side windows for the cab so Ill get a kit from the stash so I can copy them on clear plasticard, and the cab interior needs detailing with the debris normally found in a truck cab (the Sun, hard hat, pop etc)

40082581270_fa9ff8af88_z.jpgDSC_0006 by richellis1978, on Flickr

41846837882_83b40fbcd5_z.jpgDSC_0005 by richellis1978, on Flickr

The skip body is resin, and I added the panels for the company name from foil (takeaway tin) and bent it and bashed it to look abused

40082585180_330a07ca8b_z.jpgDSC_0004 by richellis1978, on Flickr

Im looking for stuff to fill the skip, Ill pop a false floor in about half inch down from the top so Ive not got to fill it all!