Airfix E-3D 8/23(R) SQN ZH103

Well, I have not done much on this one. The other wing is on and some tidying of the seams is required.  I managed to prime the seams and need to mask the clear parts to be able to add the final parts before it hits the paint shop.

On 5/15/2018 at 5:14 PM, Robert Stuart said:

Looks worryingly big to me Ray, and you are planning eight of these?

I'd have difficulty storing one of these.

Rob, I have one finished and 2 in work, with another 2 E-3s and 2 707 variants. so only 7 🙂

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

With other priority builds out of the way it is back to the E-3D

I have had some time this weekend to tidy a few things up.

A lost of seam sanding and reattaching of a couple of antennas that decided not to stay on.

42848492931_1effb5c363_o.jpg

The IFR probe with cleaned up and attached

41037552310_1b942a635d_o.jpg

Canopy glazing faired in

42799904892_fce4f794d5_o.jpg

I put the wheels and engines on to see if any pylon adjustment was required, inboards look OK (which were the ones I was worried about) thought I might need to tweak the outboards as they should sit a little higher then inboards. Most likely due to not paying attention to the wing dihedral when glueing the wing to the fuselage.

41037552580_5ea33700e1_o.jpg

42848492681_258ba2531d_o.jpg

Overall shot
42799905092_a1a7bc04dd_o.jpg

• Like 5

Looking quite large and most impressive Ray. Looks like it’s taking a fair effort to get right, however from my viewing angle she’s coming up wonderfully well. 

This will be a unique and really nice addition to the GB gallery. Should think about an AEW Shackleton next? 

Cheers.. Dave. 

• Like 1

Thanks Dave,

Well, I would consider an AEW Shack if I had a kit. There is one sitting on the LHS shelf always calling out to me when I visit. I do have the MR version but I want to tackle a couple of other RAF subjects before I get into that one.

Cheers Cliff,

When it comes to rattle cans I usually make a big mess over spraying with them.

But for white fuselages, I will use a rattle can white primer and gloss it up later. I think I have got the knack with white.

In a lot of cases, I can't find the colours I need in rattle can ranges so I usually airbrush.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

After dropping this when putting it up on a new shelf I had just assembled I have managed to repair a broken refuelling probe (twice), broken nose gear leg ( thrice), two broken antennas and a split wing root seam and splash some paint on most of the model.

I also installed the wing mounted HF antenna spikes only to notice the mounts are of a totally fictitious shape. So they will be removed and new ones will be fabricated.

Might get it over the line one the weekend

It is indeed an E-8 Andy, I have the Wolfpak markings for an Ex-QANTAS airframe for it. I have had the Fligthpath conversion for some years.

A build thread is here:

Almost 12 months to the day since I last updated that thread. I have done some more work to it since so I will have to add some updates there.

Back to our regular viewing....

The engines were attached (as you could see from the last picture I posted)

43537389991_810fe07bb3_o.jpg

43537388961_7d557aa9d3_o.jpg

I had also tidied up the seams but after some paint I found I need to do some remediation work

43489571162_7cf2d758b3_o.jpg

I added the wing HF antenna mounts but they did not look right to me

43537389361_08e3a15799_o.jpg

So off they came and new ones manufactured (I had them glued on really well too!)

29665693118_4517cae5dd_o.jpg[

Old and new antennas and mounts

43537388421_9272a29666_o.jpg

I also noticed the instructions would have you position the antenna mounts too far outboard, so the new ones will be placed closer to the correct position as per the above picture. There are covered putty at the moment which will be sanded down before permanently fitting them.

• Like 2

Continuing on (even though the GB is over), I have attached the antenna mounts

42702212015_602e897fcd_o.jpg

43606410601_97e4a77b9b_o.jpg

I managed a coat of paint only to notice some more attention required to seams

42702211685_4af4abbd47_o.jpg

I managed to bump it in the paint stage and one of the finely crafted wingtip antennas when flying. It has now been replaced and the model is ready for another round in the spray booth.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

So in the spray booth, I managed to yet again to tap a couple of the probes which went pinging off into the bowls of the garage to be found in 2023 when I decide to do a thorough clean up of the place.

Here is reconstructed wing probe (for the 3rd time)
43271844664_7be1b2c674_b.jpg

And the tail probe refitted and faired in
43271844584_8674bcffd0_b.jpg

I did manage to splash some paint on some of the other antennas that did not separate and the engine intakes and exhausts only to notice a few more spots that needed putty attention.
29052910067_54c4961d69_b.jpg

Hopefully the next visit tot eh paint booth is the last.

• Like 3

Romeo Alpha Yankee thanks for the information about the HF antennae: I just hope I can remember it when I start work on my E-3D (presently scheduled some time around the time of your garage clear up; I’ve only just started trying to sort out the loft).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Still going with  the big E-3, main painting finally complete
44300387055_72421c1c6e_b.jpg

The wheels are now on and I have some detail painting to fix up on the antennas.

44490143074_acd09d1ca1_b.jpg

Attaching the radome became a pain, the pylons have pinched in at the top, so I damaged some paintwork with glue trying to attach it. The second attempt coming up, then the main gear doors go on and decals.

• Like 5

Good to see this big beast back again Ray on what appears to be a small (or is that shrinking) modelling bench! You certainly have many kits on the go, however as time goes on they all seem to get finished. Be nice to see this one in the RFI section soon. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Good to see this big beast back again Ray on what appears to be a small (or is that shrinking) modelling bench! You certainly have many kits on the go, however as time goes on they all seem to get finished. Be nice to see this one in the RFI section soon. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks, Dave,

I recently had the 'cave' recarpeted and reorganised the room a little. So the computer is on the other side of the desk. Not sure if I am completely happy with this setup. May need to change it back.

Yes, too many on the go, I have the attention span of a gnat, I wish I could work on one kit from start to finish without other subjects distracting me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Yes, too many on the go, I have the attention span of a gnat, I wish I could work on one kit from start to finish without other subjects distracting me.

And when you solve the fix for this contagious condition make sure you patent it, start a therapy business and offer your services to the mass modelling public - most of which are no doubt already members on here! Should you need a business partner, I’m only too willing to chip in and help. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

Good to see the E3D coming along Ray, that is looking promising.

Yes, too many on the go, I have the attention span of a gnat, I wish I could work on one kit from start to finish withoutother subjects distracting me.

With you there, starting a new project always seems more exciting than finishing an older one - to me anyway.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well after much dilly-dallying some more progress to report

The radome finally was painted to an acceptable standard and it was fitted along with the horizontal stabs.

44794507295_06a6d38e85_b.jpg

Then I spent the best part of 4 hours decalling

44983769704_ab39c45634_b.jpg

44794507175_b64179c075_b.jpg

44794507155_8b86d0049b_b.jpg

Got to the engines and it and was time for a break, there are about 15 decals on each engine, I managed the first 4 on the first one. National markings will be the last to go on.

• Like 4