Having issues with Xtradecals.. wont go down!

degsye39

Evening chaps hope you are all well!

Im having some issues with with decalling up my airfix spitfire mk1a.. I cant get the little devils to suck into the panel lines/trenches!

I am using Hannants xtradecal battle of britian sheets and revell decal soft as my setting fluid, the kit has been brush painted in humbrol enamels, then coated with lakeland quickshine (note i had the same issue using astonish!)

Im thinking that the revell decal softener isn't compatible with xtradecals? ive used revells decal soft on cartograf and airfix decals and i had no issues?!

Seen as i now have a kit with silvered decals that are layed down quite poorly whats my best option please chaps? Buy some micro sol? 

could i slice the decals with a fresh stanley blade then apply clear?

These are the.. Ahem, offenders!

IMG_0627.jpg

Apologies for the slipper and dog eaten carpet in shot! and apologies for my rambling on!

Thanks and all the best!

Edited by degsye39
uploaded photos

I bed my decals in a Klear or equivalent solution (+/-30% dilution with water) which does a great job of sucking decals into panel lines as it dries. The Stanley knife sounds a bit fierce & I wouldn't rush into slicing them but maybe trying to run some of your gloss coat in under them by capillary action, small slits at the decal edges on the panel lines should at least sort out the silvering at the decal margins. I think some dilution as suggested above would help this too. I've never used decal solutions & have been happy with Klear to bed them, a puddle of the dilute solution on a pre gloss coated surface does very well, maybe try it with your next model. Paper towels & cotton buds to wick up excess & roll down into surface detail as you would normally.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

Steve thanks for your reply mate!

Only thing is my decals are now completely dry :( Do you think i should give the klear solution a shot? i wouldn't have to slit the decals as i could wick it into the decal through the panel lines!

I dont have klear though so to speak im using holloway house quickshine/lakleland quickshine!

Thanks and best!

Yes, even though your decals are dry, running some quickshine in under them on the panel lines should still pull the decals down & help to eliminate silvering. Xtradecals are normally pretty flexible so this shouldn't cause them to crack but try it under the wing or somewhere not too conspicuous first.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

Steve thanks for the reply and the invaluable advice it is much appreciated! 

I must say they seem like good decals mate.. easy to apply at least im just going to have to nail using the klear/water mix!

Or quickshine/water. :) From reading on here it does the same job as Klear. Have a play with some spare decals on an old or redundant piece of kit till you get a feel for it. Pregloss, puddle of qs/water solution, place decal, wick excess away with paper towel, small stiffish brush to finally position decal, damp cotton bud to roll decal down. Some more solution to seal edges, run up panel lines. If the decal moves, more solution, tease up edge with brush flood under with solution & try again, let dry, simples. :)

Steve

• Thanks 1