Camouflage

Hi All,

Im currently building the Uss Franklin CV13 1/350. Have to admit I thought it would be an easier build compared to the ships I've done. Just want some advice regarding the "razzle dazzle" camo on the Island (ships bridge). Is it easier spraying certain parts separately, the gluing together? Or completing the whole island then spaying? Reason I'm asking is if the latter who do you mask with pe parts attached? As some are very flimsy. Or do you put main body together then spray and then add pe parts later.Whats the best way? Folks

I temporarily construct superstructure deck assemblies together with bluetac, mask and spray as required, then add smaller parts and paint them the 'background' colour as necessary (or pre paint them first if it's easier) Take your time masking to get the camo to look right. I tried Kriegsmarine splinter camo on a Tirpitz many moons ago and had to re-do it several times, I seemed to constantly over estimate the size and shape of certain areas of colour. So  step back and examine the pattern constantly.

Tom

I did the Uss New York , but the camo was a bit easier. This is different , as both sides are completely different. I've competed the hull ,but that just needed masking tape . I was thinking of doing what you said Tom , but ive noticed some build it all then paint. The problem with that is painting the horizontal surfaces 20-B , as I carnt even get a brush in some parts.

I do the same as Tom has said, sub-assemblies painted almost to completion, held together with tape or blutac.

fJCRabc.jpg

The only time I had a go at fancy camouflage on a ship was a bit of a palaver, and put me off ever doing it again!:D

Mart