Sikorsky S-61N - what are the cabin window dimensions?

I want to make up a set of decals for an S-61N and would like to know what the actual dimension of the passenger window frames are.  Also, are the alll the same size?

cheers

Mike

29 minutes ago, bootneck said:

Also, are the alll the same size?

Generally all same size but depends on the airframe fit. Some have a smaller window on the doors and others have a bubble replacing the usual one in that position(usually SAR fit) 

The number of windows also differs,I've seen 9 or 11 on the port side for example and from 5 to 8 on the starboard.

I'll see @alancmlairdat Perth tomorrow and I'll get him to look up his notes and drawings he did ,for a magazine article ,to give you the dimensions.

No secret at all. I haven't decided on markings yet, no point until I have all the data; otherwise I'll choose a dfferent helo to do.   I've just been making some decals for the Boeing 737, which I'm doing in this GB and they came out rather well, so  I thought I might have a go at an S-61N.  I'm just enjoying having a practice at making decals, so it's mostly a learning process.

If I can get the details then I'll have a trawl around for a decent livery to work to.  I did see a Bristow cab whilst down in the Falklands, or perhaps one that serviced the rigs from Aberdeen etc.

Mike

• Like 1

On 4/27/2018 at 9:58 PM, bootneck said:

I want to make up a set of decals for an S-61N and would like to know what the actual dimension of the passenger window frames are.  Also, are the alll the same size?

It's your lucky day! The Dutch IPMS magazine had a great article on the KLM S-61N back in 1983. The drawings even included the dimensions of each window. Here's the PDF:

https://robdebie.home.xs4all.nl/various/mip1983-1s61n.pdf

It might be gone soon, because I'm not sure of the copyright situation.

Rob

Edited by Rob de Bie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's useful.

I happen to have a set of engineering manuals for the S-61N here too. Sikorsky are not known for their benevolence towards modellers and indeed there are more words about copyright on the front of the manuals than anything else so I won't share them on the forum.

If anyone needs information though, PM me with what you need to know...

Thanks Rob and Jamie.

My liitle project is to convert a 1:144 scale Sea King, by Sweet Decal, into an S-61N.    All I have managed to achieve so far is extend the fuselage, forward of the engine casing, but I haven't worked out the tail section dimensions yet. 

As you can see below, the windows have been sealed, hence the need to make decals, and so the dimensions will be of great help.

p1130323_resized_800_wide.jpg

cheers

Mike

29 minutes ago, bootneck said:

a 1:144 scale

I was about to offer you a spare set of the enlarged sponsons but then saw that!

Found these drawings though which can't be too far off 1/144.

sik_s-61n.gif

• Haha 1

Thanks for this. Could I borrow the sponsons?  I could get a more tactile feel of their shape etc., so that I could make a set to my scale. 

Mike