Spooky, Spectre, Stinger (Italeri 1/72 and Monogram)

Hello modellers,
today I would like you my builds of all three fixed wing gunships used during the Vietnam war. 
All three models were originally built in the late eighties and early nineties und underwent a different amount of refurbishment recently. The  1/72 Italeri AC-130A restauration took the greatest amount of  time as it had to be completely disassembled as most of the guns were pushed to the inside during handling. I took the opportunety to strenghten the wings, sand down the old brush-applied paint and completely rescribe the panellines and repaint it. The flight deck was completely reworked, pilots were added and the clear parts polished. The props were made movable and some of the small parts that had disappeared over the years needed to be scratchbuilt.
The original kit comes with large auxilary fuel tanks on the inner pylons which I cut off and moved the rack with the ECM pods to that place. For the outer pylons I crafted some SUU-42 chaff/flares dispensers made from leftover ordnance coming with the 1/72 Italeri B-58 Hustler kit. Biggest problem were the new decals which all needed to be self-printed except for the national insignia which came from an aftermarket sheet.
The Italeri 1/72 AC-119 K Stinger gunship had already been part of my “Secret War in Laos” topic which appeared on BM several years ago. Since then, the model was cleaned, got a nose re-shaping and after some paint touch-ups and some additional decals got a new clear coating. The decals had a strong silvering despite a brush painted clearcoat which I sorted out by making small cuts with a razorblade and carefully applying  Tamiya´s extra thin plastic cement. The windshield was  polished and details were added to the flight deck as well as new and more stable aerials added. The props were already repaired with nails in the past which turned out to be a bad idea because of corrosion which prevented the props from spinning freely again. To remove the props, the whole cowlings had to be removed. My new technique for spinning props using brass tubing  and needles is much better and allows easy repairs.
The AC-47 gunships is the oldest model and without doubt the oldest kit, dating back to 1966. I bought it in 1988 when the kit was re-released in Monogram´s “Heritage Series”. There is no scale on the box and the model appears somewhat smaller than 1/72. My first intention was only to clean it a little and add some minor details to have the gunship trio complete for the post here in the forum. 
But then I tried to overpaint the brown areas with a lighter color and wipe off the fresh paint on the decals with a brush and some turpentine. As this worked out so well, the other colors were oversprayed in the same way. For masking I tried a new technique using flexible masking tape from the local hardware store and cut it in narrow stripes of about 3mm. This allowed very narrow curves and the bond on the model surface was better as with Blu-Tack saussages. To give a little fading between the different colors, I oversprayed the borders with heavily diluted paint.
As the kit has recessed and raised lines, I used different weathering techniques, using a wash for the recessed areas and some pencil and pastel chalk shading for the raised areas. For the paint chipping, I used a silver pencil and some drybrushing with aluminium paint. The original glass cupola on the roof was lost or never attached, so I had to be scratch-built it as well as all the aerials.
Hope you like the trio

Mario

bjJPPF4.jpgDYvJrTn.jpgj9kYzB1.jpgcNvHJCi.jpgFp9b2Lz.jpg5DP83NK.jpgfbya3yQ.jpgzpu9SDI.jpgV8WfNw8.jpg8e1RdQh.jpgwdQQcY4.jpg4O7n6fK.jpgz9lNX8h.jpg

Edited by Mario
  • Like 59

Very nice trio there Mario, great job(s). Wish I had the room to do them in 48th ( though I might attempt a Spooky one day, for my too big to go anywhere collection )

• Like 2

Each with its individual characteristics, but all three models are impressive. One more case where I can not decide which one I like best. What about a photo with the runway ligths on?

Edited by Convair
  • Like 1

Very nice - I've always had a soft spot for the Vietnam War gunships and Special Ops aircraft. I used to have that AC-130A kit, but lost it and need another to go along with my Italeri AC-47 and AC-119K Stinger kits (mine aren't built yet, unlike your excellent examples).

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Thank you Polo, Russ,  Convair and Jason for the comments!

1 hour ago, russ c said:

Very nice trio there Mario, great job(s). Wish I had the room to do them in 48th ( though I might attempt a Spooky one day, for my too big to go anywhere collection )

Hello Russ!

These models cause storage problems even in 1/72. I´m really glad that they are off the bench and back on the shelf. Next projects will be smaller again!

1 hour ago, Learstang said:

Very nice - I've always had a soft spot for the Vietnam War gunships and Special Ops aircraft. I used to have that AC-130A kit, but lost it and need another to go along with my Italeri AC-47 and AC-119K Stinger kits (mine aren't built yet, unlike your excellent examples).

Regards,

Jason

Hi Jason!

Nice to hear from you since a long time! I remember our conversation after I posted the AC-119 here for the first time. 

Cheers,

Mario

• Like 1

Thank you Valery, Unfinished Project, Corsairfoxfouruncle, Lovely Pig, RMCS, goggsy and Ivan-o for the compliments. Very much appreciated.

BTW: Have recently added the Roden AC-123 K "Black Spot" to the stash. I would be very thankful if anyone knew about good references regarding this bird.

Cheers,

Mario

• 1 month later...
On 4/29/2018 at 1:36 PM, Mario said:

Thank you Valery, Unfinished Project, Corsairfoxfouruncle, Lovely Pig, RMCS, goggsy and Ivan-o for the compliments. Very much appreciated.

BTW: Have recently added the Roden AC-123 K "Black Spot" to the stash. I would be very thankful if anyone knew about good references regarding this bird.

Cheers,

Mario

Hi Uncle Mario!!!

Just look for this ones in the Squadron Book Gunships, and think the In Action title has something about this ones. 

Also, you can try here: 

http://www.theaviationzone.com/factsheets/ac123.asp

https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/ac-123.ht

Cheers!!!

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 11:02 PM, Luis Alfonso said:

Hi Uncle Mario!!!

Just look for this ones in the Squadron Book Gunships, and think the In Action title has something about this ones. 

Also, you can try here: 

http://www.theaviationzone.com/factsheets/ac123.asp

https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/ac-123.ht

Cheers!!!

Luis Alfonso

Hi Nephew Luis Alfonso!

Thank you very much for the helpful links. This bird has a highly complicated and unique camo scheme and the Roden instructions only refer to the Vallejo paints range. Think I will have to buy these paints for the build. Unfortunately I don´t have the "Provider in Action" book by Squadron Signal wich obviously contains some references, too.

Cheers,

Uncle Mario

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/12/2018 at 11:39 AM, Mario said:

Hi Nephew Luis Alfonso!

Thank you very much for the helpful links. This bird has a highly complicated and unique camo scheme and the Roden instructions only refer to the Vallejo paints range. Think I will have to buy these paints for the build. Unfortunately I don´t have the "Provider in Action" book by Squadron Signal wich obviously contains some references, too.

Cheers,

Uncle Mario

Hi Uncle Mario!!!

Check your messenger ASAP.... seem have something for you to help. I know someone here to sell Vallejo Paints, and as is Closer Friend with Karina (She has learned how to paint Miniatures with him in THREE HOURS.... ) ask her if she can ask her friend about color equivalents in FS numbers, then can go for other brands looking this system numeration.-

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

Hello,Mario - These are two magnificent examples of your skills and expertise.Imaginatively displayed as always at Kempen Air Base.

How I love visiting there!

All The Best,Paul.👏😉👍

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 12:52 AM, mcdonnell said:

Hello,Mario - These are two magnificent examples of your skills and expertise.Imaginatively displayed as always at Kempen Air Base.

How I love visiting there!

All The Best,Paul.👏😉👍

Hi Paul! Thank you very much for your kind words.  Usually Yeadon Air Base is also a nice place for a visit ✈️.

Cheers,

Mario

Edited by Mario
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

Mario, great restoration work! I am less familiar with AC 119, so it is the most impressive to me, especially the photo with props turning!

Regards

J-W