"Since my last visit" has stopped working

14 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That's the one I get too. I've also noticed since this began that when I click on a thread header on the yellow spot or star to be taken to the first new post of a thread I've previously visited, it takes me to the end of the thread & I have to scroll back to find where I previously got up . I'm guessing its symptomatic of the same issue.

Steve.

Doesn't matter if I click on the red dot or the thread title, I am always taken to the last post and I then have to scroll up to find the last post I read!

Its been this way since the forum was upgraded to the current format and occurs on both my Mac and iPad. Can't comment on the Windows 7 PC, as I don't use that to browse BM.

I'm not sure if it's a forum issue or the way that I have the forum layout set but have sort of got used to it now!

• Like 1

I think I can see what it's doing now. Signing in creates a "session" which persists for a certain amount of time (not sure quite how long). "Since my last visit" should show me all the content posted since the END of the last session (or maybe the time I loaded the last piece of content I viewed in the last session). What it seems to be doing at the moment is showing me the content posted since the BEGINNING of the CURRENT session. For example, I connect, select Unread Content "In the last 1 day" and start reading. Then, if I hit Unread Content again and select "since my last visit" this time, it'll show me a handful of threads that have had posts in the last ten minutes, say. That's why I _thought_ it was working again. My "session" had not expired, and it was showing me all the new content since the beginning of that session -- say an hour earlier -- which made it look like it was working as expected, even though it wasn't.

Now, @Mike, armed with that info, is there any more that the support guys can do?

best,

M.

• Like 1

I'll ask them.  I think part of the confusion is coming from the way people access the forum these days from multiple devices across different platforms.  Leave it with me :)

In the meantime they've asked that you double-check your settings so that they are the same as those in their screenshot below:

Unread_Content_-_Britmodeller.com_2018-0

Can you at least go through those motions to check it's not something you've accidentally (collectively) altered? :)

Same as mine & what I've had since we changed to this set up. Mike, prior to this glich I was able to access the forum on both my laptop & android phone with no problems at all so something has changed. :unsure:

Steve.

Do me a favour Matthew - could you log out on BM across all your devices in case any of them are calling home and resetting your session?  Also, can you restrict yourself to one device and one tab for a period and see how that works?  I'm just thinking ahead of trying to rule things out.  I've also asked Support for a more concise definition of "Last Visit", as at this stage it's a bit vague and wooly.  Are tabs separate sessions or one? Does pressing F5 represent a new session?  What if your phone is updating your browser's content in your pocket without you realising it?  I don't know, so if we can find out from them what a new session or the expiry of an old one represents, we'll have a better starting point to scratch our heads from, rather than having to guess what's happenig.  My head hurts :owww:

At this stage Support seem to assume it's users not understanding the software, but my contention is that if you guys hadn't spotted a difference in behaviour between the old version and this version, we wouldn't be having the conversation :shrug:

• Like 1

Thanks, Mike... will just use the laptop for now. "Unread content since last visit" continues to works absolutely fine, as expected, and the same way it used to work here until Thursday last week, when I'm visiting the Model Cars Magazine Forum (with exactly the same usage pattern of laptop, phone and desktop):

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/

If support can tell which version they are running vs here, then the problemn is somewhere in the delta between that version and BM's version...

best,

M.

Edited by cmatthewbacon

3 minutes ago, cmatthewbacon said:

If support can tell which version they are running vs here, then the problemn is somewhere in the delta between that version and BM's version...

They're using 4.0.0, which you can find out because they've not renamed the Theme they use :smartass:

This is what Support have said about sessions:

It would be any session which is created, so if another session is created on phone for example, thats another visit. Its possible that a mobile device could be logging in, yes. I'm not sure on what other description I can give you as 'last visit' is literally that. So if a user disappears from the site and comes back to it later, that would be another visit. 

It's not an ideal response, but I think it's all we're going to get.  I suspected that would be what we'd get, which was why I suggested to sack off all your other open BM pages on all your other devices.  It might help us see what's going on. :)

I've gone back to them again and spelled out the fact that this issue started immediately after the upgrade, and as it affects multiple people across differing architecture, that to still be "blaming" the users doesn't really up to scrutiny.  We shall see.

• Like 1

I prefer not to say, as that gives anyone wanting to use exploits and vulnerabilities a starting point as to what exploits/hacks they can try.  Needless to say, 4.0.0 is WAAAAAAAAAAAAY older than this one, and they really should consider upgrading to a newer version as there are known security issues with that super-early version of 4.x.  You may want to mention that to them if you have any connection with them. :)

Our theme is specific to this version, but I've obfuscated the sub-variants so as not to give the game away :ninja:

"Since my last visit" shows content since the beginning of my session. So, for example, after this discussion, I hit "since my last visit" and got around 27 minutes worth of content. If I deliberately sign out and then sign back in again, as I just did, it goes back to "There's no activity to display"...

best,

M.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cmatthewbacon said:

"Since my last visit" shows content since the beginning of my session. So, for example, after this discussion, I hit "since my last visit" and got around 27 minutes worth of content. If I deliberately sign out and then sign back in again, as I just did, it goes back to "There's no activity to display"...

best,

M.

That's actually behaving as you'd expect, because you signed out then darted back in again.  If someone had posted in the few seconds between sign-out and sign-in, you'd have seen that post in your list.  That's one of the reasons why I don't like that function.  What if I'd not seen all the stuff that was there on my "last visit".  It's all gone.  The "last 14 days" is perfect from my POV, as it shows ANYTHING you've not viewed as bold, and allows you to quickly and easily revisit content you have seen without re-orienting everything.  Sure, you have to do just a bit more scrolling, but you're less likely to miss something fun, useful or important :)

Support have asked us to provide a step-by-step of the process that leads to these problems.  Are you up to that task Matthew?  Can you produce a list of what you do, screen-shots and commentary for them as concisely as you can manage?  If you can, we can get it escalated.

OK, so I signed out at about 1250, closed the window, and nothing open on any other screen. I returned at around 1345:

Screen%20Shot%202018-05-03%20at%2013.45.

Signed in:

Screen%20Shot%202018-05-03%20at%2013.46.

Hit "View New Content":

Screen%20Shot%202018-05-03%20at%2013.46.

This is how it loads by default, with Past 14 Days selected (Should default to Since last visit, IMHO, but anyway...)

Selected "Since last visit":

Screen%20Shot%202018-05-03%20at%2013.47.

That's had time to be posted since I arrived, 'cos the screenshotting takes time...

Then selected "In the last 1 day":

Screen%20Shot%202018-05-03%20at%2013.48.

After scrolling down multiple screenfuls of new posts, this is the ACTUAL first posted item after I'd logged out.

HTH, @Mike...

best,

M.

A patch has been applied to the site by tier two Support, and they're hoping that this is a fix to it.  I believe the rest of the world will be getting this update with the next official one, so aren't WE special? :lol:

Can those of you that use this function of the forum keep an eye on the returns it gives and come back to me with any remaining problems please?  I'll push them upstairs to Support. :)

• Like 1

That's excellent news, @Mike, and thanks for your persistence! It certainly seemed to give me the right results just now, when I returned to the desk after 45 minutes spraying something red. Just red. Lots of red...

I'll keep a close eye on the pesky critter, but I guess if support are "applying a patch", that means that they've found something that they CAN fix...

best,

M.

Just logged in for my morning visit on the iPad and it works fine "as it used to", so thanks Mike and the team behind the scenes.

Steve.

A bit late coming back to this, but I only ever use one device to access this site. Only very rarely do I use my phone i.e. when on holiday. However, this seems to be superfluous now as normal service has resumed for 'Since Last Visit' for me.