Roden 1/32nd Cessna 02-A Skymaster

Unfortunately this has got to be one of the most disappointing models I've built for a long time...🙁 Not necessarily the worst ( but it does come close)

I had so many hopes for it when it was first announced but the reality proved a little different..

Basically, nothing really fits together as it should, parts location guide is minimal at the best of times and parts are also very softly moulded, particularly the small items. 

The glazing is very blurry and doesn't fit the apertures properly. The fuselage halves on mine were severely warped too.

I couldn't be asked to build the engines as they were very spurious with regard to fit. The cockpit, considering the size of the model is very sparse too.

As you can imagine it's a notorious tail sitter but SAC comes to the rescue here with some white metal engine parts and a bulkhead. Still not quite enough in my opinion but it helps.

Decals are badly printed (and miss spelt in some cases) but again ( involving extra expense on an already dear model) a nice set of aftermarket decals are available from AOA. In fact despite what the instructions say the 3 aircraft in the kit are not Vietnam based but modern Warbirds.

So, buyer beware.....Such a shame.  I've got their Bird Dog to do sometime too so I hope that's better.

Anyway, thanks for looking.

41737812791_99b953e95a_c.jpgIMG_3221

41697191742_a5d3433294_c.jpgIMG_3215

41737814561_a87aace73a_c.jpgIMG_3216 

41697190332_c636570018_c.jpgIMG_3218

Edited by keithjs
  • Like 36

That's a real shame - I was kind of hoping someone would get me one of these for birthday. :( I built the Airfix kit as a kid and always had a soft spot for it :shrug:

You would never believe you had problems with this one given the more than excellent result you have achieved here.

Roden kits are always fiddly (I have built a fair number of their WW1 aircraft kits) but with effort can be made (as you have proved) into a good result.

Regards

Dave

It really looks good and well worth the effort of persevering. Sorry to hear about the problems. The bad fit, the weak and soft detail make it sound like nothing so much as a giant version of the Testors kit. However, right has triumphed  and it looks like a truly imposing model.

• Like 1

Well Keith, there is only one winner here and that is you and your modelling skills, making a silk purse out of something that is much less is one of the most rewarding aspects of modelling and I very much like your build of an interesting plane. Between you and 'RussC'  showing some fine builds from this war, I am beginning to find this era of aviation very interesting indeed.

I think that the subject of the glazing would put me off. I've got two Testors ones and a Heller one to do and none of them  even get the windscreen right let alone any of the flat stuff. I wouldnt want to repeat that chore  again in 1/32 scale. I know that   the model has to look right and represent the prototype, but How well  the build went  has  a  large bearing on how satisfying the experience was  in the long run.

Looks great,..... bet it is impressive up close and personal too, being such a large scale! I`d love to build a model of the Rhodesian version with the gun pods on the roof!

Cheers

Tony 

Very nice work considering.  I wonder if they will issue a civilian version as the Cessna 337.  Not my scale though but still an interesting subject.;)

I am really pleased that you had the patience and courage to see this one thru, despite the issues you have done a wonderful job and thanks for sharing it with us :thumbsup2:

FYI: I did have one order, but, choose to cancel it as I had previous bad experiences with one of their kits.

Best regards Colin.