Hello all, continuing my interest in wreckers and recovery vehicles, here is my latest conversion. It is bases on the IBG Bedford QLD, with some modifications and with a scratch built Harvey Frost type crane. The design of the crane was from a photo on the internet, and dates from 1936-8. However it would not be unusual for an ex wartime vehicle to be fitted with an older, refurbished crane. Most of the frame and crane on the model were built from evergreen plastic

product. The gears and cogs are once more from my favourite place, the insides of an old travel alarm clock. The garage name on the model is real, it is where I did an apprenticeship in the 1960's, before going to work for a large and well known oil company in their research centre.  I have always worked around vehicles and engines all my working life, maybe this explains my interest in HGV and military vehicles (along with classic motorcycles, buses and cars). We did have a recovery truck at the garage, the first one was an old Bedford O series with a hydraulic crane. I intend to make this sometime using the 1/24th scale Emhar Bedford. We had a QL which was later turned into a snow plough along with an ex WD Ford forward control 4x4 with a V8 petrol engine. The later trucks (after my time) were on Bedford TK chassis with hydraulic cranes. All of these were in the dark blue with a white roof. The same garage later had a fleet of Volvo trucks under the name of Berkshire Vale Transport, and they were the same colour.

The model is painted with Tamiya acrylic paints and weathered with Humbrol powders. I always use Halfords plastic primer, and have recently tried their matt lacquer, which for a rattle can gives an excellent finish. Recommended.

I have two more wrecker kits in the stash, the IBG Scammel and the new Mirror Models Chevrolet CMP light wrecker. One or both of these will be in civilian guise. Many thanks for looking.

001002003004006005001 (2)002 (2)003 (2)004 (2)005 (2)009013015012

• Like 28

Gentlemen, thank you for your kind words. Just to confirm the model is 1/35th scale and the basic kit was the IBG QLD cargo version. The QL was not a large vehicle by todays standards, but was quite large in its day. But stand it next to a Matador, and the Mattie dwarfs it, its a real big boys toy!!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic looking QL conversion and the Matador looks equally stunning. Brilliant job. I really like the way you have scratch built the crane. I love recovery trucks of all kinds. I have a half built Ural truck that has been in a cupboard for a few years and I want to do as a civilian vehicle. Would love to fit it out as a recovery truck of some sort!

Cheers

Terry