Jump to content

1/48 Tamiya F-16C 25/32 ANG


Recommended Posts

And as promised (my memory is terrible), a photo of the munitions.  Two AIM9Ms and two AIM120Cs.  The fins on the missiles are approx a 50/50 mix of vallejo metal aluminium and flat black, then drybrushed silver.  The darker part of the AIM9M head is vallejo metal gunmetal with the seeker aluminium.  The very tip needs to be a sort of creamy yellow, as realstically, it would be clear to allow the IR seeker to track heat sources.  Simply no way I could possibly model that in this scale and even if I could, it would be pointless, as I'm fitting resin seeker covers :)

 

The rocket exhausts were modelled by using different types of S&M scalpel blades to get the shape and profile, then were painted orange by mixing red and yellow. I'm a real cheapskate and make most of my detail colours by mixing the primary colours.  It's false economy though, as I end up mixing far more paint than I need by the time I've got the shade I want.

 

2C3PNPQuVPAPuwGUa2JBFpCJfte3UBfGkJn4dpeS

 

UF1_c32jW4l0mu1we0ASFJR-pDmd0oF9sm7QGogZ

 

The nose cone was primed, preshaded, then thinly and randomly sprayed with ocean grey. Realistically the radomes aren't painted as to not interfere with RF signals but we have to fake that by painting it.  So, mine is an attempt to show the overall colour of the bare metal with accumulated dirt.  I masked off the static dischargers and dry brushed them with aluminium.  Probably a bit too light, but I'm happy with the result.  The radome will be getting a good wash applied and more weathering later.

 

sp18clgGuffpDVZUP3WyEw9Obzrm61lFpURML6Zg

Edited by planehazza
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Azgaron said:

Nice looking missiles and nose cone! :)

 

Håkan

 

 

Thanks, I enjoyed painting them :)

 

10 mins to maniuplate the bluetac, 10s to spray them with UMP black primer with a tiny hint of grey.

 

2EpSRBTxTRrTcm1ohFt5tpy06P3f1Yq9Yt4Zeo7q

 

mELCto8M_nQP7NIi-EtjDf2gKNoOqkEGgmtnu8rB

Edited by planehazza
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just caught up with this build.  Looking really good.

 

I've got the same kit on the go at the moment, followed the same assembly steps & had the same issues after pre-painting the intake section before attaching it to the lower fuselage.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BlueFlyer said:

Just caught up with this build.  Looking really good.

 

I've got the same kit on the go at the moment, followed the same assembly steps & had the same issues after pre-painting the intake section before attaching it to the lower fuselage.

Thanks. I'm at the point where I'm starting to make silly mistakes and so progress has slowed.  I'm away on a stag do this weekend so I'm not expecting much progress this weekend either :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You're probably making quicker progress than me!!!!

My build has been on the go for almost 2 yrs now.....  primarily due to it coinciding with the arrival on no1 son.

Still enjoying it whenever I get bench time though, even with a few set backs..

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, BlueFlyer said:

You're probably making quicker progress than me!!!!

My build has been on the go for almost 2 yrs now.....  primarily due to it coinciding with the arrival on no1 son.

Still enjoying it whenever I get bench time though, even with a few set backs..

 

I see.  My gf and I are having 'talks' about what the future entails regarding the M and B words.  I'm either going to have a lot less, or a lot more time on my hands in the near future, depending on how it goes ha.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Small update. Some work on the engine exhaust done. Sprayed gold,thrn masked and the mechanisms painted aluminium and gunmetal. Not perfect but close enough and the wash will blend it all all. 

 

The bit the exhaust will attach too was sprayed aluminium then sprayed a heavily thinned mixture of clear blue and clear smoke. 

 

Both parts were dry brushed with gun metal. I'll later mask up up the middle "stripe" and dry brush it with smoke most likely. 

 

 

mTljyAg4CSiNR27DUSWr3VeUsISav8Ynv8lz59WD

Edited by planehazza
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 22/05/2018 at 05:33, Christer A said:

Nice start on the exhaust!

 

On 22/05/2018 at 07:00, Azgaron said:

Looks nice! :)

Håkan

 

On 22/05/2018 at 19:37, exdraken said:

Nozzle looks good! Lots of effort, but worth it!

 

Thanks guys :)

 

And here it is, completed in this post :) 

 

Using various images such as this one, I tried to replicate the grey rectangles on each petal. 

file.php?id=13582&sid=a59b37e083507ffd7e

 

I cut a mask and I got to about the fourth one when I realised it just wasn't practical doing it this way. So I ran strips of tape around the nozzle to give two hard edges, then just free-handed them. They're not neat, but they look OK.  I went back over the silver/blue bits and sprayed them tamiya smoke. I masked them off one at a time to get a subtle colour change, and I'm happy with the results. 

 

rVIUr89McoWgCL8in-bt40DG5r8U7tdflfHy2yjC KkU7hlYGAjjBq7DDO8GZEz83w8sWudgz13cheT47

 

And the finished result:

 

8QbCC98SKEY2s9-hXv-rfCEyXSLEXA-cbVpWjMRu

 

Dry fitted to the model:

WDpPu5aeD3bHHHzW4KFr_EBqEf-MavGScCV22WeU

 

It seems to be my recurring 'crutch' but a wash should blend it all nicely.

Edited by planehazza
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, BlueFlyer said:

Looks the part.

How did you do the inside of the exhaust?

Not very well ha. It was all primed black just like the outside, but then sprayed white.  Then just messed around with the airbrush for the inside, then drybrushed the inside of the petals.  It doesn't look great, but it's the first time I've tried it and again, I plan on using (this time thick, sludgy) oil wash to add more grime etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, planehazza said:

Not very well ha. It was all primed black just like the outside, but then sprayed white.  Then just messed around with the airbrush for the inside, then drybrushed the inside of the petals.  It doesn't look great, but it's the first time I've tried it and again, I plan on using (this time thick, sludgy) oil wash to add more grime etc.

After looking at so many pictures of exhausts I've come to the conclusion that no 2 look the same.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not much to report on, but I have glued on two missile rails and worked my way around hand painting various bits such as chaff/flare launchers, nav lights, JFS doors etc.  Not much standing out in the photos, but this is where I currently stand.  First gloss coat soon, but I don't have a free weekend for a while.

 

CAjedBOJ6yGIA5dxK7uf6VpkWxuDRft0BcVYliIy

 

h8icMFHQLQyuU6m2mJDLmqXhph-3uzZ_ZXAlxh3l

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Having worked on 144 on many occasions your model is looking good. Although I am partial af 84 316 (I was the dedicated crew chief) I really like what your going. I don't know if it matters to you but but our seat cushions were black, kind on a cheap lamb skin. Not a big deal if you leave as is. I look forward to seeing your progress. Here are a couple of pics of me modeling mine years ago.

 

1 f162 F163 f16

This is the Hasegawa kit. I wish the Tamiya kit existed back then.

Best wishes.

 

Rod

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Rod bettencourt said:

 Having worked on 144 on many occasions your model is looking good. Although I am partial af 84 316 (I was the dedicated crew chief) I really like what your going. I don't know if it matters to you but but our seat cushions were black, kind on a cheap lamb skin. Not a big deal if you leave as is. I look forward to seeing your progress. Here are a couple of pics of me modeling mine years ago.

 

1 f162 F163 f16

This is the Hasegawa kit. I wish the Tamiya kit existed back then.

Best wishes.

 

Rod

Man I am so jealous.  Thank you for the photos, and a shame to hear I've done to the seats wrong, but then I couldn't have known.  I'm struggling to find many pics of the particular airframe.

 

Going off your photos though, I wonder if the discrepency between the various 'versions' of FS36118 is down to camera and lighting? The dark grey in your photos doesn't look very blue at all, and matches mine nicely.  I feel better now :)

 

Having said that, in your photos I can't see a clear line between the underside and the side colours infront of the LERX.  Were these ANGs updated from 3 to 2 tone grey over the years like many others?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Rod bettencourt said:

 Having worked on 144 on many occasions your model is looking good. Although I am partial af 84 316 (I was the dedicated crew chief) I really like what your going. I don't know if it matters to you but but our seat cushions were black, kind on a cheap lamb skin. Not a big deal if you leave as is. I look forward to seeing your progress. Here are a couple of pics of me modeling mine years ago.

 

 

This is the Hasegawa kit. I wish the Tamiya kit existed back then.

Best wishes.

 

Rod

Just googled 84-1316 and it seems it actually belongs to Indonesia now.

 

And wow; I thought your post was missing images of your model. I've only now just realised that the three images ARE of your model! I thought there were of the real jet! Holy hell, dude!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, planehazza said:

Just googled 84-1316 and it seems it actually belongs to Indonesia now.

 

And wow; I thought your post was missing images of your model. I've only now just realised that the three images ARE of your model! I thought there were of the real jet! Holy hell, dude!

Well thanks for the compliment, glad you enjoyed the pics. I didn't know that she went to foreign country. I know she went to Vermont when we converted to block 32's. If you didn't know we are flying Eagles now. I have somewhere a great pic (IMHO) of the model next to the real one. I took it because when I first starting posting people were emailing me basically calling me a fraud....LOL. Anyway 316 was a great jet, I got 56 code one's in row for a stretch. I used to polish all the toggle switches in the pit and brought in my modelmaster paints once a week to do touch ups. I would ask the pilots to put on their gloves when they strapped in. I didn't want finger prints on my stuff!  LoL... And yes they would!

 

Rod

Edited by Rod bettencourt
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Rod bettencourt said:

Well thanks for the compliment, glad you enjoyed the pics. I didn't know that she went to foreign country. I know she went to Vermont when we converted to block 32's. If you didn't know we are flying Eagles now. I have somewhere a great pic (IMHO) of the model next to the real one. I took it because when I first starting posting people were emailing me basically calling me a fraud....LOL. Anyway 316 was a great jet, I got 56 code one's in row for a stretch. I used to polish all the toggle switches in the pit and brought in my modelmaster paints once a week to do touch ups. I would ask the pilots to put on their gloves when they strapped in. I didn't want finger prints on my stuff!  LoL... And yes they would!

 

Rod

Ha brilliant. I would love to work on the F-16C and I really wish the RAF had purchased them - in fact I might have to read up on why we didn't.  It probably would have been a great replacement for the Tornado F.3. 

 

I'd heard of code 1/2/3 but didn't know what they meant precisely, apart from being levels of recovery condition.  I'm guessing having 56 code 1s is not a common feat to achieve? :)  What were typical code 2s?  I'm guessing code 3s are more serios, such as over G'd airframes and other faults?

 

I'm an avid fan on the Viper and must have 5000+ hours in it virtually in one form of Falcon 4 or another. If you haven't checked it out, I recommend giving Falcon BMS a go.  Whilst the graphics are getting on a bit, its reproduction of the Viper flight model and avionics is second to none and very accurate.  I know my way around the Viper pit very well thanks to this sim :)

 

Here's a link to #84-1316 at F-16.net. 

http://www.f-16.net/aircraft-database/F-16/airframe-profile/1646/

 

Out of curiousity, I've only recently noticed the letters after the block number.  I understand what the blocks are and what each one introduced etc, but what to the letters (eg #84-1316 is a C blk 25E) mean? Are they sub versions of that block? Build runs?

 

Is there any chance you could share any closeup pictures of these ANG jets please? Would love to see more of these jets :) Thanks.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No news for a while, I'm at the point where I need to pluck the courage to call the main paint done and gloss it all in for decals.  I'll do that tonight I hope, as I'm away over the weekend so it at least means I'll have plenty time for it to cure ready for decals.

 

Here's a small progress report for now ha. Wheels are almost complete; I just need to finish touching up the bolt heads and centre caps etc. I'll be trying pigments out for the first time on the treads but I currently have no idea how to apply them so that'll be on of the last things I do.

 

2keyiF4Ub5FNbfwwBptdqkPwdU4c5JQZX1raxazs

 

AIM9Ms and tanks glossed. They have had decals, and a wash (applied straight to matt paint to experiment with staining effects), and gloss.  I'm worried about these Tamiya decals; they're very thick and not very sticky :(

 

VLRMbLQqZl0HOWv88PXXwgL-a-xIelY6WemOgrjs

 

f7LZvypOHdPjpJRgERd0Ld59S3rS9BhhbL4c4Dn0

 

LoH7F76u2a8N8UvE1ZbVkz1gW019zJu_aNTwcGmS

 

Edited by planehazza
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...