1/48 Tamiya F-16C 25/32 ANG

Had some fun weathering the 370gal tanks tonight.  Not sure how realistic it is, and I've possibly gone over the top, but I was experimenting as much as replicating realism, perhaps even more.  I like the result, and my aim was to simulate fuel spils/leaks gunking up with oils and dirts etc.   I used a cotton bud to wipe away tiny bits to simulate crew hands brushing up, as well as wiping away oils from the lift points and warning signs. It's hard to see, but you can just see them.  I figured even when the tanks are filty dirty, the warning signs would be kept reasonably clear...

Once that's dry in a few days, I will be doing a bit of dry brushing and finishing them off with a tiny tiny bit of paint chipping on the leading edge (tip).  All in all, I'm chuffed with the results, especially being so new to it all.

y_aYsuF-YmcuhYD5mRTgiKRSTpaQ2so2_nRzTcDf

G5GiHvzdoeJ2tuOWKVI9pZIW4L1fR9dOW5RC-3z1

B6A-dfA9RKy6KvUsz4n8t8vigt_mzZy8Q29eRymx

Elevator gloss drying...

C5Utyxs1MxkotEcLZx0B3swpjKt023NzU15_iLjZ

...whilst the main aircraft hides away drying its own gloss (underside)...

pqQk6YvkmrMnhvQWvMxUWmUDa3_vpfzt3P1ZVNhq

Made a start on the 300gal centre line tank, when I realised I'd made a booboo.  I haven't put all the decals on it yet. I'm missing the two line lift lines and a warning label, so I scrubbed off the oil paint with some turps. I hate that I can slightly see a seam line but it's harder to see in the flesh.

HoLsBF0mMTZJv4mHWtfOYoISgSdn7VivCHOOBWE2

Edited by planehazza
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Azgaron said:

Nice work weathering the tanks! :)

Håkan

Thanks. Looking at reference shots, it seems they rarely get this dirty, but I had fun using my imagination and I think they look good.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Delayar said:

That looks great!

I like the different shades on the upper panels.

Cheers,

Markus

Thanks :) The result isn't exactly what I was striving for, but I ended up really liking the look and figured I would otherwise be there forever fiddling, so I called it a day and glossed it all in.    Tonight I will continue to buff the gloss smooth with micro mesh pads, ready for the decals.  Whilst I hate applying them, I'm always glad to get to that point as I feel like I'm almost done :)  I still must have 50 hours of work ahead of me, but I can see the light! I'm a slow (read, inefficient) modeller...

The tedium of decal application has started!  The ones on the underside are so small and fiddly.  I haven't photographed the tail, but the large eagle decal ripped into three bits as I'd forgotten that the water had cooled to room temp. Went to slide it off and bam - half of it slid off, half of it didn't.  Managed to line them up OK but you can see the seam if you look closesly.  Back to the old "a wash will fix that" :D

H5Z3uPITpDiHYa3YGHLFmrBhYvjaSMh9CRYQuBe-

The Eagle-eyed will notice the lack of exhaust nozzle. I knocked it off.  I seem to be having problems with glue adhesion.  I think I'm too scared of lifiting paint so I'm using too little in places.  Also, my 10g weight has come loose from inside the nose cone.  The model didn't need it due to the weight of the resin tub, but if it slides to the rear of the airframe I'm in trouble ha.

Edited by planehazza
  • Like 2

Thanks to the good ol' Type 1 Diabetes kicking my bottom today, I have a day off work so I can sort my ketones and sugars out.  Not much I can do but rest, drink water, and keep the insulin coming.  So what better to do to pass the time than more awful decals...

SQr9AimHplGOVx2fLIwCgLIqLV3D7m3y8RJ4H5sK

bYRGMAdms9-wuFC9T2ir4NPF4J4hKPLyiNUyH5Ep

C11BvSoHszd5Crbt4K0R2K9Osy6wYtJov0k2vUxv

• Like 2

Top half was glossed yesterday morning, and glossed the bottom half earlier today.  Whilst the underside is still drying I decided to (carefully) apply a wash to the top half. I'm going for a dirtier look, so elected to spread my 90/10 thinner/oil wash over the whole surface.  

BDVoRrYidDJA6heuLwABoL34VJB3pyTMNA2wsblW

Another hour, and I'll wipe it off, hopefully leaving a dirty, streaky effect.

Currently I only have black and brown oils, so tomorrow I'll swing by the art shop and get some white and/or grey oils to apply a wash over the black tail flash, to give this effect (see the top of the fin):

83-1144.jpg?m=1371927149

And wash removed...

m2-NkKauh29twbLuhZk3SYV-8QZDdhwIyU18-x9T

Edited by planehazza
  • Like 2

Underside getting the treatment.  I was a little impatient last night so I applied the wash to the LG bays after the gloss had only been drying for <12 hours! But then the LG bays are often grimey so it's probably a good thing. Pylons fitted to stations 4 and 6.  They've already been washed and weathered, but I'll be adding a little bit more to the areas where the wings and pylons meet.  You can see on the wings, where stations 3 and 7 would be, I've removed the wash early.  This is not the final effect, but more of a wash preshade if you will.  I want those areas to be subtly light than the rest to simulate footprints of the pylons being fitted the rest of the time.  I'll create a mask from tape tracing the kit pylon parts in a few days when the left over wash oil paint is dry.  99% of the wash pictured will be gone anyway so I probably won't need to wait so long.#

Also, ignore the missing flaperon... it's what happens when you use too little glue and are stupidly clumsy.  Recommendations for bonding it back on without causing all the paint to bubble? Lots of PVA/canopy glue? Or thick CA right in the join?

Yd-0MrQZm2Ium5LHi63idlqnQWU0HpTr4SaDrWxU

The LG bays about half way through being cleaned up, still working away at those as they're currently too dirty looking for my tastes/goals. Plus, I'll be adding more oil, mostly brown, to simulate oils and rust.

T1EzHTPqSkcy3JMFB3g0_gUp50QQj43Li7N5qmJr    RTpMolYaqraDiyk93R1GocUt54T_nqKSAmjQkSbD  nCwLY-EyVDYocVgscU1jNKv4bPiDcEsBCjG6xb5e

Back soon! :)

Edited by planehazza
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Delayar said:

That looks fantastic!

How did you glue the flaperon?

Cheers,

Markus

With medium CA via a cocktail stick,  In the flesh, you can see a little bit of paint damage, but as it's on the underside, I'm not too bothered.

After doing the wash, should I be sealing it in with a third gloss coat before moving on to further weathering, or just crack on before sealing it all in with a flat coat?

Wasn't happy with the band decals on the AIM-9M so wasn't prepared to risk them again on the AIM-120Cs.  Spent the last 90 mins cutting masks and hand painting the AIM-120C bands. It's hard to see in the images but you can see the clear bits of the decals:

vZtxHsgE8IZfWp4s3xHnKWZ2LGdwYvRRjJ67zAx1  VJUoBo4FqsZld33vACWeavVBQnr_JM88kiqvJhxI

_GzjiSce8SklYZJXE9s9K0twvTZzS1GCfdy-zlbC

The downside of the paint is that it's thicker, so I'll give it 24 hours to cure then take some 1000grit to soften the edges.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2018 at 2:26 AM, planehazza said:

Also, ignore the missing flaperon... it's what happens when you use too little glue and are stupidly clumsy.  Recommendations for bonding it back on without causing all the paint to bubble? Lots of PVA/canopy glue? Or thick CA right in the join?

I'll see your flaperon & raise you a wing tip launch rail!!!!

I pinned them both to provide extra strength so hopefully they won't come off again.

Looking really good so far, subtle weathering but really effective

Some more time spent on weathering, mainly black and brown dots applied to arbitrary rivets and panel lines where I think leaks might happen over time.  

UR5zD0KabR7EehA0_E0gkif08lVBmxcX3lFH0Ar_  gEGt4PISHycMpXh4MGGqcMr0aeAdG_2kwT1VAplq  

1-o6WdSVlsYd6YtHjJ8XBzUxH1DJyJ2Y-iaVFvOd  mjD87gjvmq6m-SNyFYuQ6jkr6oev7jys9yYVcEQP  

YTgmnXzZXQZu0MJEfSYsBaRvv4CkbhYEIADe9o8c

And of course I caught the flaperon yet again, hence the gap in the image.

On 21/06/2018 at 22:38, Azgaron said:

Nice weathering! Looks great! :)

Håkan

Some small progress tonight whilst watching Netflix... Scratch made canopy grab rails, using a spare PE part for size reference. 

ty47AQJ1EcJkReIfT545ScqfcDxVKzOWVr3pcsBR

Fitted and painted... 

hZCKV3nSCfsL_qyMnpezshyfDAXpOaIUNthYaey3

HMpUiP4lIIv5835yYwcToEB8kufsRp_ymnPTa7yi

Tomorrow I'll fit the latches and paint in the bolts that you can clearly see in photos. 

I couldn't resist taking the tape off to have a look which I'll regret, as I'll need to mask it up again before glossing, washing, and weathering. 

Edited by planehazza
  • Like 1

And where we're currently at:

NrDPTnb1n5uhpAF36A1YvUHl5FD3qDlyULJvNCyl

AIM9s are affixed, nose wheel bay door and actuator is on.  I've had to strip the paint off of one of the main gear doors as the oil wash thinners seems to have pitted the underlying paint work.  And I broke the stupid flaperon off again, so it's getting ugly with glue marks and there's now a gap between the TE of the wing and the flaperon which I'm a bit gutted about.  Nowt I can do now though.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Very much almost done.  The jet has had a couple of coats of XF86 flat clear and I attached the remaining gear doors.  I'm about to apply the decals to the remaining AIM120, and have finished weathering the canopy. It is fitted but I won't bother gluing it.  I have bought some AOA RBF covers and FOD intake covers from @Shaun on here so looking forward to getting them and fitting them.  I've starting fitting anti static discharge rods, made from plastic braiding (the sleeve stuff you put over wires etc) and have fitted one of the AIM9M seeker cover RBF and cable. Check out the pics :)

fKcU9jnpRWU3D7QbUtn9HbNJUbibVq4vGC94bDcG

k_gw9FloIO20iNznWxNH4gKipVR3Y0R2LjajQaaD

rg9ofrsq00L_I-Bb_TjbeZzJ1nw_vzCYgQidN8UF

kDSgMjC2sE7Qkm6GKYUXKCfrvDU5iZxQlIR3YUzS

dxtz7rT_7O2zCojXbjdK5sOjFnEJLcrko-KamzBY

sLe4oPofxIasRjpNNjH_AVWvDaYwZqxSsRrlDtg_

Riw7gScKxEC_e1lV48KkCnriibQCCybzLxrG_oSZ

• Like 1