Various - Atlanta NAS, October 1982 (one added 08/05/18)

RidgeRunner

Hi all!

I've delved in to the files, scanned a few that match a recent request for SLUFs in grey and white and dodged the recent changes in Flickr posting. So, a small selection from the Navy and Marines Reserve ramps at Atlanta.

huey6

ATL28

huey5

ATL24

ATL23

ATL21 copy

ATL20

added 08/05/18:

ATL24

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 17

Thanks chaps. Sadly not the sunniest, hence the muted tones. The Corsairs seemed to have been in transit from or to storage? See the various areas sealed over. 

Martin

9 hours ago, Thud4444 said:

OV-10s! Super nice pics!

Yes, mate. Sadly many were covered. Nice to see, though.

One thing I didn’t photograph - because I was preserving frames on my roll - was the Navy C-118B that took off while we were waiting for the Thud departure (see 63-8336 in my Thud post). I kick myself now because i had a few frames left but the counter said orherwise! :(

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Very nice photos, Martin- thanks for sharing them with us. I especially  liked the TA-4J with no squadron codes or station markings; you don't often see one that plain!

Mike

Its good to hear from you, Mike. I have a fair few more A-4 images, including a few from Meridian NAS. I’ll get to them one day ;). 

Hoping all is good over there?

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

2 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Yes, mate. Sadly many were covered. Nice to see, though.

One thing I didn’t photograph - because I was preserving frames on my roll - was the Navy C-118B that took off while we were waiting for the Thud departure (see 63-8336 in my Thud post). I kick myself now because i had a few frames left but the counter said orherwise! :(

Martin

Mentioning this also brought back other memories of that frustrating day. While we did have many successes in terms of accessing ramps etc, I hadn’t understood that each unit on an airfield also needs to be consulted if you want to get around their machinery. My ignorance meant that at Dobbins AFB/Atlanta NAS/Marietta we didn’t get around the AFRES C-7s or the Army OV-1Ds :(. Additionally there was a lot of activity on the Lockheed ramp, with pre-delivery AURI and Malaysian Hercs and many C-5s (for resparring) and C-141s.... ho hum :(

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

Martin, you're spoiling me!

Photo's of (correct colour) A-7's, OV-10 AND a twin stick 'Scooter'...........

Off now for a lie down and a quick rub over with the Radio Times!

5 hours ago, PhoenixII said:

Martin, you're spoiling me!

Photo's of (correct colour) A-7's, OV-10 AND a twin stick 'Scooter'...........

Off now for a lie down and a quick rub over with the Radio Times!

No, mate, not spoiling. Just sharing with all. Otherwise they just sit in files on my study shelves. I'm glad you like them. I'll post some more SLUFs soon. :). Navy ones, that is. 

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

You inspiring me to go and dig out my old pics too. I can't compete with Sven, but I do have some reasonable ones from the odd base visit back in the 90's

andy

On Friday, April 27, 2018 at 11:05 PM, RidgeRunner said:

No, mate, not spoiling. Just sharing with all. Otherwise they just sit in files on my study shelves. I'm glad you like them. I'll post some more SLUFs soon. :). Navy ones, that is. 

Martin

Exactly my sentiment Martin , theirs nothing like sharing (unless its your last ROLO)! That green Huey strangely enough given its toned down markings looks rather smart . I think it might be the sharp contrast between the perspex and the paint.

6 hours ago, Britman said:

Exactly my sentiment Martin , theirs nothing like sharing (unless its your last ROLO)! That green Huey strangely enough given its toned down markings looks rather smart . I think it might be the sharp contrast between the perspex and the paint.

You are right, it does look rather clean. Maybe straight from the paint shop? Having said that the tail boom looks suitably tarnished ;)

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

Just adding a Cobra ..... Nice, sleek and simple without any of the modern sensors etc that trash the look of modern choppers (in my view).

cobra1

Martin

• Like 1