1/48 F/A-18E, VFA-87 Su-22 'Killer' 2017 - Finished 28/6

DaveJL

goodness me you really churn these jets out. Another stunning build of what should be the most famous Rhino out there. as always, I remain in awe of your weathering skills. Thank you for posting, hopefully inspiring me to get on & finish my 2 x USN kits for this GB

Awesome job Dave!! :thumbsup: I really like her and the final wash and weathering you did just finished her off perfectly in my opinion.

Thanks for joining us in the build, was a real pleasure to have you along and to follow yours builds.

• 6 months later...

What a great thread, the F-18 has always been in my heart since I was a kid. When the super hornets was revealed, I was proud of it, like a dead beat dad that finds oit his kid just got center position for Manchester United (trying to throw in some British humor, I'm American, don't hate me for it) and brags to his friends about being a sperm donor.

Anyway, decades ago, I used to build kits, getting better and better at it, but never to this level. As I go around the site and see the amazing builds of the airframes that are in my build list, I get a hint of 🤢, knowing that mine will never look that good. Worst, many builders here make what they do look so easy. Much of it is talent built from over decades, other spects are the endless amount of products that take what was once a high wire act of skill and chemistry, now just a simple pre-made wash done right. I live in the Philippines, very little is available here for modelers, all the aftermarket gear is non-existent, my only real recourse is ebay, but the shipping is usually double the price of the product I want to buy.

Anyway, I have two Super Hornets in my stash, one will be built as an E, the other an F. Both kits are the Hasegawa P38.

After seeing this beautiful version, and others, I put these near the back of the pack. I am guessing it will take years of practice and destruction of failed attempts, before I will even consider trying those kits. I want them to be right, and just hope that I can learn quickly from the literal centuries of experience on this site. I am humbled and awed, but that is also motivating. One day, I will start a thread that is worthy of sharing, thanks to all for being inspiring to all us mere mortals.