need help from someone that has a Wingnut Camel

JackG

Hello, I need a member that can relay some physical measurements, in millimeters, the lengths of both cabane and interplane wing struts.

Building the Eduard kit, and after shortening the cabane ones, I still find things are ill fitting.  Comparing to Osprey publication drawings, I seem to have arrived at the proper distance between the wings, but the outer struts still come up short, so am thinking I need to add some length to those.

regards,

Jack

Not sure if it's applicable to your problem, but some [early?] versions of the instructions in the Eduard Camels mistakenly reversed the part numbers for front and rear interplane struts. It throws off the geometry of things just enough to be utterly insoluable. (This caused me nearly homicidal frustration in the first build of the kit that I undertook. It was close enough to look right...but just wouldn't line up properly.)

If you do a web search for something like 'eduard camel problem,' you should turn up the pertinent details. .

Alas, I hve no WNW kit to supply measurements from. But I do wish you the best in getting your problem sorted!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thank you Thorfinn. 

Yes, got the the pair of interplane struts switched around, front one is placed at rear and the back one moved to the forward position.

I've figured out a math formula to measure against a sprue shot of the Wingnut struts.  The outer ones look to calculate to a close match for those from Eduard, but can't obtain a true measure for the cabane ones since they are at an angle in the photograph.

.... but after another calculation using the wheels as basis of comparison, I'm finding the lead strut on the wing needs to be 1mm longer on the Eduard kit.

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG

Not sure if this helps Jack but I have measured up a Winguts Clerget Camel kit and I make both cabanes to be 27mm and the interplanes to be 40mm forrard and 41mm rear. In particular the cabanes on the Wingnuts kit are hard to give an exact comparison to the Eduard kit as it is hard to determine how much protrudes outside the fuselage (They are molded as part of the internal structure of the fuselage) and the same goes for just how much of the interplane struts goes into the surface of the wing.

I was surprised to discover that both cabanes are the same length and it is the different angles they are set at which makes them look to be different lengths.

Anyway I hope this is of some help

• Like 1

Hello Beardie, thank you for those measurements.  They are pretty close to those supplied by another modeller on the WW1 aircraft forum.

The results are the interplane struts from Eduard are almost exact, while the cabane are also, more or less  ok.  The kicker is, I already cut those down yet they cause the upper wing to sit out of reach of the interplane struts. 

One possible fix  I noticed is the insertion points for the cabanes in the upper wing could be wider by about 1mm.  The wider stance might lower the wing enough so it will rest atop of the interplane struts, but we'll see - will try that tomorrow.

regards,

Jack

I did a couple of the Eduard Camels some time ago and I do recall the wings/struts being a swine to get to behave themselves the very slight difference in length between the fore and aft interplanes made a big difference (once I found out they were the wrong way around in the instructions) it still wasn't easy though. I didn't touch the cabane struts at all and it finally all fitted together. Is it possible that your lower wing is a little 'droopy'?

Now that you mention it, during the construction phase I did note there was the slightest gap at the forward end of the wing root - but it was so small it was easily filled in with liquid glue.   It may have added to the current problem, but don't see it as being the main cause.

The dihedral of the lower wing looks spot on compared to the Osprey line drawing, as it should  since the lower wing is one solid piece.

regards,

Jack