posting images from Flickr

Hi all,

Has anyone else had a problem posting images from Flickr in to posts on BM in the past few days? Previously it was easy - select "embed" and the size of image, copy, and paste that link in to the BM post. Now it seems to extract a much longer link that then doesn't display an image!!!!

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Martin 

Edited by RidgeRunner

You have to go back to the old way of posting the photo's from Flickr, copy the address link direct from the photo

rather than going through the download the photo and copying the image then paste to BM. 

• Like 1

I am using the old system as when I originally tried using the "new simpler" system ........ guess what? I will use the older system until I have to think otherwise. 

Hey ! I'm giving an opinion on posting images! 😅

• Like 1

Yesterday evening, I tried to post a picture using the EMBED option, but it wouldn't work. It just left a string of code. I had to use the BBCode option and remove the unwanted bits. Is this have anything to do with the Smugmug merger?

Chris

3 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Is this have anything to do with the Smugmug merger?

Could be, but it could also be a side-effect of the new security we're running.  Difficult to tell without going deeply into it with Flickr's help, and TBH I'd get lost after "Hi, how're you?" :shrug:

The good part is that it's still doable - you just have to change your MO a bit :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Yesterday evening, I tried to post a picture using the EMBED option, but it wouldn't work. It just left a string of code. I had to use the BBCode option and remove the unwanted bits. Is this have anything to do with the Smugmug merger?

Chris

Exactly my problem :(

Edited by RidgeRunner

Just now, dogsbody said:

No worries! Most other forums require the use of BBCode. It only takes a few more seconds to do. It's not like I don't have the time. I'm retired.

Chris

Maybe, but it’ll curtail my enthusiasm, sadly :(

1 minute ago, RidgeRunner said:

Maybe, but it’ll curtail my enthusiasm, sadly :(

Sorry to hear that Martin - I hesitate to mention it, but pretty soon you're also going to have decide whether to find a new free photo-host, or pay SmugMug a monthly fee.  I hope that doesn't take any of your remaining enthusiasm away :(

Oh dear, Mike. To be honest I’m not aware of the SmugMug activity. I guess I’ll have to get back to modelling ;). Probably a good thing ;).

Martin

1 hour ago, charlie_c67 said:

I use the Flickr app via my iPad, apart from a hiccup on the site when I was trying to post yesterday, that still seems to work as ever it did.

Thanks Charlie. I'll try but I always have an issue copying the link as it is always longer than what is shown. :(.... I am a technophobe :(

3 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Chris

Hello Chris i am posting since the drama of photobucket and i experienced this from the day i started posting pics.

It can be a little cumbersome sometimes....

But for me it is pretty normal to do it this way...sorry no tips for making life easyer...

Cheers, Jan

40 minutes ago, janneman36 said:

Hello Chris i am posting since the drama of photobucket and i experienced this from the day i started posting pics.

It can be a little cumbersome sometimes....

But for me it is pretty normal to do it this way...sorry no tips for making life easyer...

Cheers, Jan

Oh, it's not a problem. You have to use the BBCode format on almost all of the forums I visit. There were 3 that let you embed, but now there's only one. It's not going to ruin my way of life to have to spend a few more seconds to post an image. If it ever gets a bit too much, there's beer in the cold room and rum in the cupboard.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Oh, it's not a problem. You have to use the BBCode format on almost all of the forums I visit. There were 3 that let you embed, but now there's only one. It's not going to ruin my way of life to have to spend a few more seconds to post an image. If it ever gets a bit too much, there's beer in the cold room and rum in the cupboard.

Chris

I'm over my strop now ;)..... Onwards and upwards .......

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

I  hope after my initial drawn out aggrovation of trying to post images I would be more than miffed if the rug were pulled from under my feet. Martin, I know where you're frustration comes from. I hope you can hang in there (me too! ) as you have been a great source of information and interest. 

Keith. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2018 at 7:29 PM, dogsbody said:

Chris

Hello Chris,

I do have some trouble too, can you explain how you are doing.

The BBC code is a pretty longer thing but what is to be erased ? And what is necessary to post the pic on BM ?

Please, 

sincerely.

CC

Copy the BBCode from Flickr and paste it in the reply box.

Starting on the lefthand side of the code, remove everything up to this " [image ".  There is more code, then you get to this " image] ". remove everything after the bracket so all that remains looks like this: [image - various coding stuff - image]

Then hit submit. That's it.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2018 at 3:39 PM, Mike said:

Sorry to hear that Martin - I hesitate to mention it, but pretty soon you're also going to have decide whether to find a new free photo-host, or pay SmugMug a monthly fee.  I hope that doesn't take any of your remaining enthusiasm away :(

As of now they are stating as follows...:

"Will Flickr continue to offer a free version? Will Flickr’s price change?

Absolutely. Flickr’s free accounts are foundational to its community of influential and engaged photographers. We are not making any changes to Flickr plans or rates at this time. We’ll let Flickr Pro customers know if that changes."

...but that could change any time soon, but afaik, nothing else is in the making as of now.

@Martin there should be a BB Code tutorial somewhere in the help section I'd assume, but sweet, if your Ctrl C/P works just as fine.

/Stefan