Post your First, Favourite,Finest

On 5/18/2018 at 7:30 PM, adey m said:

This was the early 1970s Meatbox, I am surprised we are not wearing ties..........

My father had a Christmas tradition passed down from his family, we all had a Christmas stocking from Santa to wake up ( ha ha ) to on Christmas morning which would usually contain a bagged Airfix Series 1 kit which would probably keep me busy all morning. Then after breakfast we were allowed one present each from under the Christmas tree.

Then we would have to wait until after dinner and watch the Queen's Christmas broadcast on tv before we were allowed all the other presents from under the tree. It was good in the respect that Christmas day lasted longer.

Twenty five years of marriage to Carol has changed all that, I get woken up to a cup of tea at some unearthly hour on Christmas morning ( night ) and then dragged downstairs all bleary eyed to open all the presents before breakfast, as her family have always done  .............. she loves Christmas so what can I do ?

cheers,  adey

I thought no one else did that! Your Christmas was identical to mine. Stocking fillers on waking up, maybe one pressie in the morning,  Christmas dinner, wash the dishes, THEN presents! In my case, usually all Airfix kits, since I used the Airfix catalogue to make my pressie list.

It made the fun of Christmas day last all day instead of just a half hour in the morning.

Ian

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, limeypilot said:

In my case, usually all Airfix kits, since I used the Airfix catalogue to make my pressie list.

Me too, although I was partial to Frog kits too and had a Whitley underway by Christmas afternoon on one year!

Martin

• Like 2

23 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I get woken up to a cup of tea at some unearthly hour on Christmas morning ( night ) and then dragged downstairs all bleary eyed to open all the presents before breakfast, as her family have always done  .............. she loves Christmas so what can I do ?

My sympathies, Adey! 

• Like 1

All 1/72

First (of my slow return to modelling) - an ebay sourced Airfix Hawker Sea Hawk as I’d always had a soft spot for it but hadn’t made one in my youth. Made in 2002 when I wanted something cheap to occupy some time while I kicked my heels between finishing academia and a start date for a job

28583401558_3992287d4f_b.jpg

p.s. the silver thing you can just see in the canopy isn’t any fancy internal detail but a screw I’d blu tacked into the nose as weight that has become dislodged with time/shoogling

Model making went largely fallow for a few more years till I was looking for something to do while recuperating from an op in 2014 and needing something absorbing/meditative to do and now here we are

Favourite it fought every step of the way but despite the flaws and bits that could have been done better I’m still chuffed by the homemade masked splinter scheme on my Matchbox Viggen

39774789691_58d0b6f426_b.jpg

Finest I’ll always find flaw in the things I make but I think more went right than wrong with this Sea King & Severn lifeboat combo (counting this as one build as it is a diorama)

26185194579_7c0a840c52_b.jpg

Edited by LostCosmonauts
Realised there was a 1 picture limit
  • Like 18

21 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Me too, although I was partial to Frog kits too and had a Whitley underway by Christmas afternoon on one year!

Martin

Our Santa Claus must have had a contract with Airfix ...... 1970  and my brothers' Airfix Hurricane and Gnat and my Typhoon all built on Christmas day. Carefree modelling times .......

adey

What a great idea to post some history...here's mine...I have been partial to modeling airliners since being very young. I couldn't have been more than 5 or 6 when a cousin helped me put together a Convair 880 or Boeing 707 in old TWA livery....I can't remember which. But that moment began a lifetime of a fascination with all things miniature, especially model airliners. I built all through my teen years, sometimes turning out three or four models a month, spending all of my small allowance and wages earned at the local ice cream store dipping cones, and mowing yards. I had all the old classics from Aurora, Airfix, and Revell...cramming them together for display on shelves made of wood planks and bricks. Painting was always done with a brush too thick and heavy laden with way too much paint, and I never had enough patience to allow anything to "cure" or dry properly. Gave it all up for many years, until I returned to modeling in my late 30s during flight school. Below is one of the results of a "return" to modeling airliners...a Braniff International Boeing 707, built from the Heller 1/72 kit I had stashed years before. I still have this old bird, but without landing gear...sitting atop a huge stash of unbuilt airliners in boxes in the workshop. This picture was taken on 35mm film upon completion, in October of 1998........

Braniff 707
  • Like 16

22 hours ago, Challenger350Pilot said:

What a great idea to post some history...here's mine...I have been partial to modeling airliners since being very young. I couldn't have been more than 5 or 6 when a cousin helped me put together a Convair 880 or Boeing 707 in old TWA livery....I can't remember which. But that moment began a lifetime of a fascination with all things miniature, especially model airliners. I built all through my teen years, sometimes turning out three or four models a month, spending all of my small allowance and wages earned at the local ice cream store dipping cones, and mowing yards. I had all the old classics from Aurora, Airfix, and Revell...cramming them together for display on shelves made of wood planks and bricks. Painting was always done with a brush too thick and heavy laden with way too much paint, and I never had enough patience to allow anything to "cure" or dry properly. Gave it all up for many years, until I returned to modeling in my late 30s during flight school. Below is one of the results of a "return" to modeling airliners...a Braniff International Boeing 707, built from the Heller 1/72 kit I had stashed years before. I still have this old bird, but without landing gear...sitting atop a huge stash of unbuilt airliners in boxes in the workshop. This picture was taken on 35mm film upon completion, in October of 1998........

Braniff 707

Ooh.  That's very nice.  Those Braniff colour schemes were very attractive.

Great thread!!

Yankymodeler - really enjoyed your post.

Meatbox8 - if I may respectfully suggest -- there's no need to repeat the entire post (text and pictures) to which you are responding. Simply delete the extraneous from your reply by using the delete key in your composition window. 🤐

Gene K

MY FIRST AIRFIELD DIORAMA

After spending 9 months fixing and redecorating our new house back in 1992 I finally got to fix up a spare bedroom as my modelling room. I have been fascinated with airfield layouts and their infrastructure as long as I can remember and I could not wait to build an airfield diorama in 1/72 scale in a corner of my new model room.

I based my diorama around one end of a T2 hangar. The hangar and buildings were 1/72 scale and scratchbuilt from paper card. The hard standing and taxiway were painted onto a hardboard base. The grass scenic effect came from a local model railway shop.

These photos date from 1992 and were taken with a 35mm camera.  Some of the models featured are no longer around.

resized_d3a636c1-d9ee-4645-ae69-e0ceb9ce

The first layout. An Airfix Halifax III being serviced inside the hangar while a Heller Vampire FB5 is refuelled by an Airfix Bedford refueller. An Airfix Matador truck and Airfix bomb tractor are also visible. My inspiration for this layout came from RAF Bovingdon, that airfield near London which was where they filmed 633 Squadron and Mosquito Squadron.

resized_bcd3d9fa-ab35-4cb8-b7d9-b9ffbd68

Hardstanding has been modified and reduced. A FROG DH Sea Hornet night fighter conversion and Heller Vampire inside the hangar while my FROG Vampire NF 10 conversion sits on the servicing apron.

resized_9abf93a6-69e7-4dd4-80a8-659ff250

The hangar has now been moved nearer towards the corner. An Airfix Cessna Bird Dog and a Hasegawa Thunderchief sit on the servicing apron.

resized_47f9535c-4445-48d2-823f-7b9793fa

FROG Shackleton on the apron while an Airfix Jet Provost ( the old one ) is serviced in the hangar.

resized_b0e09460-b744-4dbe-ab06-59c33b02

There was another stage after this where I constructed a farm in the bottom right corner but unfortunately I can find no photos of it.

resized_c926862c-9e97-4b8a-a6ec-5a91695e

The hangar diorama was later replaced by hardstandings for my Monogram RB-36 and FROG Shackleton.

adey

Edited by adey m
  • Like 5

Like most here I used to make a lot of Airfix when I was a kid. In about 2010, the Wife and I really liked the TV programme Lost, and I got to thinking, maybe I could...

az9zhDU.jpg

It didn't turn out too well and is now languishing under a table in the hall gathering dust, but hey, it's Oceanic 815 and nobody else had one. And now I was stuck making kits again.

Favourite/finest are a bit of a toss up but I really like how this one looks:

rKQrzBL.jpg

It's the Matchbox Heyford in (sort of theoretical but possibly existed) trainer colours. I really love that 30s look and the scheme is great.

But finest - well, I got my first gold medal at a show for this, and it's got a plane in it, so....

7xteQ2h.jpg

Edited by Unkempt
  • Like 13

9 hours ago, Unkempt said:

Like most here I used to make a lot of Airfix when I was a kid. In about 2010, the Wife and I really liked the TV programme Lost, and I got to thinking, maybe I could...

az9zhDU.jpg

It didn't turn out too well and is now languishing under a table in the hall gathering dust, but hey, it's Oceanic 815 and nobody else had one. And now I was stuck making kits again.

Favourite/finest are a bit of a toss up but I really like how this one looks:

rKQrzBL.jpg

It's the Matchbox Heyford in (sort of theoretical but possibly existed) trainer colours. I really love that 30s look and the scheme is great.

But finest - well, I got my first gold medal at a show for this, and it's got a plane in it, so....

7xteQ2h.jpg

I have seen your built before and i really loved your idea of this diorama..

Cheers, Jan

• Thanks 1

I had posted my contribution to the thread here. However,  I've finished a model a few days ago which is now my best. It's a Dornier Do 24 flying boat. The WIP is here.

A few pictures:

y4mzoyFkGY_HBG9Vr17BbKbAI_J5k-dhA_SVCDBs

y4mlJYF92FGok6hMgZNdpszMxO_wQb5vw2N4qHHL

y4mTUOAFppFBUzqYsf8bO6uM2vTGENf3kGq5Vxfk

y4meYRI8ZOTx_bFyIZnUaivctkFtev-200V45rqZ

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 5

Although I remember my first kit – the old tool Airfix 1/72 Mossie – it's long gone and there's no photographic evidence. The earliest model that I have a record of is this Revell 1/72 Spad XIII, built in 1977 at age 17. It looks like I replaced the struts with stretched sprue, although I don't actually remember that. I do remember the paint job though; painstakingly drawing the checkered outlines with a Rapidograph technical pen, then filling in each black square with a fine brush. I also painted the roundels as I didn't have any decals in the correct style. I wish I still had this for nostalgia's sake.

Spad_XIII.jpg

Favourite? That's a difficult one, but it's probably this 1/48 Monogram B-17G, which was built in 2004. Apart from re-scribing it I added resin wheels, lots of photo-etch inside and vac-form clear parts. I custom made the decals too. Although I'd do it differently now it still brings me joy, although I didn't always feel that way during the build...

B17_28s.jpg

B17_29s.jpg

Theoretically my last build should be my best, but it's not (by a long shot). I think this Eduard 1/72 Bf 110 is, mostly because it's such a lovely kit to start with and I was quite happy with the painting and weathering. It's got Brassin resin wheels and gun-nose.

26_1000_HD.jpg

34_det_1000_HD.jpg

• Like 14

M first builds don t exist anymore but thats not a real loss.

One of my favorite builds is the Italeri Ju 88 A-17 torpedo bomber. My first attempt to make changes like re working the propellers, shortening the under carriage, even the tyres lost some pressure.

The canopy got also some re shaping. The whirl pattern was sprayed free hand. 

ju 88 a17 2ju 88 a17 1

• Like 13

I dont have photos of my first models as I used to build them and gave them to my younger realative to play with.However the aircraft below is my favourite,not a  show stopper but I enjoyed doing it and that for me is what this wonderful hobby is all about.

image.jpg

This my first ever 1/48 model,given to me by a club member and a member of this forum.

Edited by celt
  • Like 4

• 3 months later...

This is a good thread.

In 2015 I returned to the hobby after a break of 30+ years (like @LostCosmonauts, between academia and a new job). I have completed less than a dozen kits since then, but here we are...

First: 1/72 Tiger Moth (Airfix). I've always had a soft spot for the Tiger Moth, but had never modelled it. It's pretty rough (brush painted with acrylics, holes for rigging drilled after model was assembled and painted etc.).

IMG_3699a

Finest: 1/72 P-47D (Tamiya). This was also my first commissioned work (well, my American wife chose it and I made it for her 😁). I included a figure and base so she could put it on her work desk.

IMG_3496

Favourite: 1/72 Yokosuka Willow (Valom). This was my effort for the flying boat/seaplane GB late last year. I was happy about how the composition with figures and craft in the water came out (although far from perfect). It was also one of the first short-run kits that I constructed.

IMG_4166

Regards,

David

• Like 11

• 1 year later...

I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the photos of all those models, some from a long time ago. The B-36 (Monogram) reminded me of my favorite build. I'd built the Monogram B-36, silver top and sides and white in appropriate places on the bottom, and hung it in my brother in law's bedroom, along with a host of other models from that time. The B-36 dominated the ceiling. It became the victim of a Class A mishap when my brother in law was making his bed one morning, flipped the sheet rather high, and scored a direct hit on the B-36. Bomber fell from the bedroom sky and crashed, never to be rebuilt. And no, I didn't build another B-36 for him ... though I'd happily build one for my own collection if I ever get my hands on one!  😃

I thought I'd post some photos of my current "Finest" build.

Focke Wulf Fw 190V-18 Wkn.0040 CF+OY 1/72 scale MPM Kit No.72033. Built 05Oct2015 to 13Apr2019. Even won some awards at shows, just go to the thread;

Link to the thread;   

So Here's a couple of photos of my '190V-18,

33885239508_07b231fa1e_o.jpg362. FinishedB by Neil, on Flickr

33885238988_002b725e3e_o.jpg367. Fin by Neil, on Flickr

33885238098_139656746e_o.jpg381. Fin by Neil, on Flickr

And one for Adey M and the others who like 'working' bits,

33885595468_be24807f18_o.jpg391. Fin by Neil, on Flickr

Need more posts, too good a thread to let it fade !!

Regards,

FAAMAN

• Like 2

An excellent excuse for a trip down memory lane!

My "first" would have been an Airfix B-17 built with (mostly by) my Dad (and played with by me). No photos or traces remain, but I'm pretty sure it was the Roy Cross boxing:

2020-04-16_06-51-20

It was bought from the caravan site shop on the west coast of Scotland circa 1986, and built with much swearing by Dad in the caravan with superglue. Unsurprisingly the site shop did a roaring trade in kits, as the Scottish climate was often conducive to..indoor activities. Unpainted - well, the plastic was already silver - and decalled approximately...

My favourite is the Airfix Lightning F2, as it was a lovely uncomplicated build, which made for a relatively blemish free surface for my first successful NMF. Those Airfix panel lines didn't need a wash! Also the Xtradecal set was a joy, and I remember thinking, "this is what modelling should be". My first outing with a photo booth too:

2020-04-16_06-46-43

My finest, well I'm going on most effort expended and sense of achievement more than anything, but my Heller B707 was a big step up for me technically. Homemade decals, scratchbuilt Krüger flaps, and lots of photoetch, plus the vagueries of the kit, kept me busy for quite a few months. Also, I did more research than I have ever done before, and now know more than is healthy about the Boeing 707-320C...

2020-02-03_07-49-45

Edited by Bangseat
  • Like 6

Airfix Zero

When I was 15 I built an airfix Zero. So naturally after a break of 22 years my first build had to be an airfix zero. I believe this is the new tooling. The canopy went a bit wrong but all in all I really enjoyed modelling again.

Edited by Nurwin
  • Like 4