Post your First, Favourite,Finest

Nice free spinning props @adey m . Mine used a dead Christmas present helicopter that flew especially badly as a motor & gears donor.  The power cable runs out of the ground power hatch

j73qbDS_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Edited by bar side
  • Like 4

Hi all, these are the earliest models I build in the last 80's early 90's. 

Airfix 1/72 ju 87 b converted to a b-1

2018-05-13_12-10-33

The other is a bf 109 g-5 (otaki) it was the first model I was placed in an adult class at a model show in 1994 (oh how I feel old now). Nick

2018-05-13_12-09-59

• Like 16

Lord Riot, I must say that your Shackleton and Nimrod are magnificent and look great together. The Airfix Nimrod is talked about as being a difficult build due to poor fit but yours looks to be well mastered. My favourite Nimrod Mark and colour scheme too. 

But you cannot fool me, I know that black and white photo is of a real Nimrod.

Superb.

cheers, adey

Edited by adey m
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, bar side said:

Nice free spinning props @adey m . Mine used a dead Christmas present helicopter that flew especially badly as a motor & gears donor.  The power cable runs out of the ground power hatch

j73qbDS_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Nice bit of adaptation there bar side. And memories of getting a micro helicopter one Christmas which was a pretty rubbish thing to control and crashing it into the Christmas tree and decorations until my wife banished me upstairs  ...................

cheers,  adey

Edited by adey m
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/05/2018 at 16:18, thorfinn said:

With all due respect...if that 'bloke' had ever attempted to actually engineer working features like that...in-scale, and working smoothly, as you said...he would have kept his beezer to himself!

Having attempted such engineering at various times myself---with frustratingly-varying degrees of success---I have naught but the greatest respect for those who can pull it off. (And let the churlish would-be critics take a flying...ahem...leap, at the proverbial rolling doughnut! :whistle:)

We will probably all meet a self-opinionated, know-it-all  kill-joy at some point in pursuing our hobby.

We had a chap join our model club for a trial period a number of years ago who just could not understand why anyone would want to build an old kit. He looked very uncomfortable and critical at our meeting and I had a miserable time giving him a lift to and from a model show, all he talked about were the latest high tech kits........... he decided not to join our club.

Just build what makes you happy and then share with the rest of us who appreciate what you have achieved.

cheers,  adey

Edited by adey m
  • Like 5

23 hours ago, adey m said:

Lord Riot, I must say that your Shackleton and Nimrod are magnificent and look great together. The Airfix Nimrod is talked about as being a difficult build due to poor fit but yours looks to be well mastered. My favourite Nimrod Mark and colour scheme too. 

But you cannot fool me, I know that black and white photo is of a real Nimrod.

Superb.

cheers, adey

Thank you Adey, very nice of you to say! 

I agree with you about the colour scheme, the old MR.1 colours are much nicer than all that hemp aren't they. Having said that I do have another in the stash which I'll paint hemp (if I can find the right colour spray can!).

• Like 1

On 5/11/2018 at 4:15 PM, thorfinn said:

I've been modeling more-or-less steadily since about 1963...so the 'first' is regrettably long-gone...but oh-so fondly remembered:

Hawk's beautiful 1/48-ish F-104 Starfighter...won in a Cub Scouts Christmas 'grab bag' raffle...the magnificent chromed parts all mirror-like and shiny with their 'Authent-i-plated' finish

40231629870_0222640265_o.jpg

'Favorite' is a dead-heat between two solid contenders, The first...MPC's ancient hybrid Dodge Van, done up as the familiar telephone company vehicle, as oft-seen in my youth as 'cable' vans are, today:

40231629540_bb01f946ba_b.jpg

The also-ran is another throwback to youth, albeit in a much-updated and customized version: Tom Daniel's 'Rommel's Rod' for Monogram, in its 2009 reissue:

40231630860_58a9feaffc_b.jpg

'Finest' is arguable...but probably will give the nod to my first in-depth WIP right here on Britmodeller, Revell's excellent 1/72 Westland Sea King, done up as an Exocet-armed Commando of the Qatari AF:

40231630620_431b1bfd2f_b.jpg

Cheers

[5/13/18 - Apologies to the membership. I surf threads by title, not by category, so I didn't even realize until today that this thread was in under AIRCRAFT. (Though you might well think that ALL the other submissions under the title might have been a 'subtle'-enough clue....) My mistake. :worry: I'll just go have a lie-down....]

No need to apologise, I only posted it in aircraft as this is the main type I make..... 

• Like 1

Adey, you are totally bonkers! Superb modelling. Takes me back to the days when, I too, had  to make the 'working bits' actually work! I used to build my Airfix kits 'gear up' but cut off the tops of the undercarriage legs to expose the locating holes for the 'gear down' option, allowing me to pose each aircraft on the ground or, ahem, flying round my room! Looking back, the thing that surprises me most is just how fearless I was; B29s and 17s, Lancs, HMS bl**dy Victory (fully rigged) and the first edition 1/24 P51D (I so badly wanted the Spitfire!). AND, of course, a Sunderland. What a beast of a kit (heaven knows where I kept them all although I do have a vague recollection of 2 old bookcases in my room) and a REAL pleasure to see your superb example. Nostalgia and excellent building makes for an intoxicating combination. Thanks for sharing!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Back in the days when I used to actually finish kits, I built a couple of 1/72 Bf 109Es for a review on another modelling website. It was the first and only time I ever did anything like that. I built the ICM and Tamiya kits side by side. As the ICM kit was the main subject of the review, it was built totally out of the box with the exception of the canopy, as the one in the kit was awful. The Tamiya one had some Cutting Edge decals. For once I was relatively happy with how they turned out.

The ICM kit:

42159675751_27e7c89a22_b.jpg

The Tamiya kit:

41438974944_c3bda281d3_b.jpg

42159676591_7fe4b5a5a1_b.jpg

and both together:

42159674801_a27c5c6cb8_b.jpg

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by lasermonkey
  • Like 17

My first since returning to the hobby a few years ago, Hasegawa 1/72 P-38L:

IMG_9641

Hard to pick a favorite, but I do like this Aifix P-51 with Eagle Strike decals, William Whisner's  Moonbeam McSwine 

IMG_9640

Again hard to pick my finest, all have their faults, cruelly magnified in photos, but I am particularly happy with this Bf 109-F-2 of Hptm Hans Hahn, Italeri 1/72 with Superscale decals, brush painted as always:

IMG_9639

Andrew

• Like 15

Guys not to do with this thread but I was wondering where do I post comments/threads about queries I have regarding the builds.

Paint queries. Techniques for doing thing etc.

Its not obvious to me.

I'm new - go easy!

Cheers.

• Like 1

Here's my first after seriously returning to the hobby and joining BM, in 2013:

1/48 Italeri Tornado F3

DSCF1547

My favorite by far is SANDY BAY-BEE, 1/72 McDD Phantom F-4C, HASEGAWA and MONOGRAM kitbash

scene1

There is a number of reasons for this to be my favorite, among which the fun I had posting a WIP thread on here. It saw the participation of my friend @Gene K who actually flew her, and many other friends and fellow BMers whose advice, support and knowledge really helped me getting the best I could out of it. 

In fact, I'm so fond of this build that I feel I could have done better, so I'm not saying it also is the finest (but it comes very close); my finest would be this

HASEGAWA's 1/48 AerMacchi C205 VELTRO, camouflage scheme entirely airbrushed with Lifecolor paints and wing insignia, Savoia cross and codes painted using self made masks.

It has room for improvement, but I really consider it my best effort so far.

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 17

7 hours ago, Oberleutnant said:

Guys not to do with this thread but I was wondering where do I post comments/threads about queries I have regarding the builds.

Paint queries. Techniques for doing thing etc.

Its not obvious to me.

I'm new - go easy!

Cheers.

Not sure what you are asking for here Oberleutnant, having looked at your profile it appears that you have already been succesfully posting comments about builds you have been following.

If you want to know something more about a comment or a build that you are looking at simply click on Quote at the bottom of the post and then add your comment or question on the window that opens, just like what I have done here.

adey

Edited by adey m
  • Like 1

MY CURRENT BUILD  ...............  but do any of you guys know what kit and what the subject is ................. just for fun

resized_a425b271-af0d-4e8d-b335-1eeda187

resized_4a984aa5-6cbc-45be-8299-5bbee244

cheers,  adey

1 hour ago, adey m said:

MY CURRENT BUILD  ...............  but do any of you guys know what kit and what the subject is ................. just for fun

resized_a425b271-af0d-4e8d-b335-1eeda187

resized_4a984aa5-6cbc-45be-8299-5bbee244

cheers,  adey

Is it a Blohm & Voss Ha 139 or a 142 by any chance?

Edited by cngaero

14 minutes ago, cngaero said:

Yes, now that you mentioned it, it looks like the BV 142 from Mach 2. The only other manufacturer of 1/72 BV 142 is Airmodel, but it is a vaccum-forming kit.

Edited by Convair

17 minutes ago, cngaero said:

Ah, but which one Chris ?  And what kit is it ?

cheers, adey

2 hours ago, adey m said:

Ah, but which one Chris ?  And what kit is it ?

cheers, adey

I agree with Convair that the only two possible options for the 142 are either the Airmodel vacform or the Mach 2 injection molded kits, so my definative answer would be the Mach 2 BV 142 kit. 

Now then, how do I choose between the brand new Mini Clubman, the £20,000 tax free cash or the all expenses paid trip to my local model shop???? 

Edited by cngaero
  • Haha 1

Well done cngaero and Convair, it is indeed the Mach 2 Blohm and Voss BV 142 in 1/72 scale but the quality definately lays somewhere between a vacuform and an injection kit.

It is creating a number of challenges for me but construction is well on now.

resized_5ed8a97a-bb47-4d24-b355-010bc86f

It has helped that I already have two large Mach 2 kits under my belt, so to speak

This strange machine is what you get when a shipbuilder decides to build a seaplane and then sticks wheels and gun turrets on it.

regards,  adey

Edited by adey m
  • Like 1

@ Giemme, your "One True Scale" F-4C is one of the best I've ever seen, truly brilliant finish and thanks for sharing her 😍😎 Is there a link to see the build?

Now to embarrass meself, wot's about to follow has been posted in a couple of forums so I don't see a reason for you not to join in on the fun;

In the dim dark past when I was 16 :winkgrin:

On Saturday 28Apr1979 a reporter from a Sydney local newspaper the, "Parramatta Advertiser" interviewed me about my hobbying after seeing my model collection when he came to interview my Grandfather a week before over his witnessing the demise of the "Red Baron" during his WW1 service.
These are the posed pics taken in my room I was sent before the newspaper article was published. The published article and an ad from the Advertiser dated Wed.16May1979.

35448193513_683cb9b004_o.jpgMe @ 16 newspaper photo No.4 28Apr1979s by Neil, on Flickr

35419984054_78c689e7e4_o.jpgMe @ 16 newspaper photo No.2 28Apr1979s by Neil, on Flickr

35448194083_9fc6a945cf_o.jpgMe @ 16 newspaper photo No.1 28Apr1979s by Neil, on Flickr

35448193893_c6d3177679_o.jpgMe @ 16 newspaper photo No.3 28Apr1979s by Neil, on Flickr

This was around 70% or so of my built collection at the time. in the far corner you can see the stash's "Pending" pile, hope you enjoy the pics, it's a little off topic but there are a lot of favourites showing 😍

Adey M if you look closely at pics No.1 & 2 you'll see my Ta 152 in amoungst the "furball":winkgrin:

Regards all🍻🍻

FAA 😎😎

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, FAAMAN said:

Is there a link to see the build?

Sure, here's the WIP:

and here's the RFI thread:

What a great collection you had back then :wow: 

Ciao

• Like 2

On 5/11/2018 at 4:15 PM, thorfinn said:

I've been modeling more-or-less steadily since about 1963...so the 'first' is regrettably long-gone...but oh-so fondly remembered:

Hawk's beautiful 1/48-ish F-104 Starfighter...won in a Cub Scouts Christmas 'grab bag' raffle...the magnificent chromed parts all mirror-like and shiny with their 'Authent-i-plated' finish

40231629870_0222640265_o.jpg

'Favorite' is a dead-heat between two solid contenders, The first...MPC's ancient hybrid Dodge Van, done up as the familiar telephone company vehicle, as oft-seen in my youth as 'cable' vans are, today:

40231629540_bb01f946ba_b.jpg

The also-ran is another throwback to youth, albeit in a much-updated and customized version: Tom Daniel's 'Rommel's Rod' for Monogram, in its 2009 reissue:

40231630860_58a9feaffc_b.jpg

'Finest' is arguable...but probably will give the nod to my first in-depth WIP right here on Britmodeller, Revell's excellent 1/72 Westland Sea King, done up as an Exocet-armed Commando of the Qatari AF:

40231630620_431b1bfd2f_b.jpg

Cheers

[5/13/18 - Apologies to the membership. I surf threads by title, not by category, so I didn't even realize until today that this thread was in under AIRCRAFT. (Though you might well think that ALL the other submissions under the title might have been a 'subtle'-enough clue....) My mistake. :worry: I'll just go have a lie-down....]

That van is fantastic.  I thought it was a real one!  Your Sea King looks terrific too.  A beautiful paint finish.  I would love to see an example of Hawk's Authent-i-plated finish.