Post your First, Favourite,Finest

Bit of fun, instead of seeing your latest , how about a trip down memory lane and looking at some of your older models

please post a picture up of your

1) first build- either when you returned to the hobby or when you started out

2) Favourite - might not be your best but the one you enjoyed building, special subject for you or special memory

3) finest- what you consider to be your best to date

One picture for each build and any info

Here is mine.

1)FIRST       Revell 1/48 Spitfire Ix

Bought as a christmas present from my kids and reignited my interest in the hobby. Originally built in box scheme and brush painted but a few years later I was unhappy with finish so stripped and repainted and decalled

IMG_3269.jpg

2) FAVOURITE- Airfix 1/48 Hurricane 

Just very nice to build and I have an interest in the Malta campaign - there are a few errors in finish but I really like the kit and enjoyed working on it

IMG_3271.jpg

3) FINEST

Eduard 1/48 SE5a 

Lovely kit ( but tiny) and I was pleased with wood finish and rigging

IMG_3274.jpg

• Like 31

These are mine, although my favourite and finest (hopefully!) may change.

My first, after a long break with uni, work, life, etc I hadn't made a model since I was at school. And what better way to ease oneself back into it with one of Avro's finest. Anything built or modded or fixed at Woodford is special to me as I grew up right under the flightpath!

21hsj.jpg

Vulcan B.2, XM602, 9 Sqn. Airfix.

My favourite. Apart from the one at the Avro Heritage Museum (well worth a visit!), I'm too young to have ever seen real white Vulcans. But there's a beauty despite the sinister reason for their colour, and to me they symbolise when the RAF was a proper superpower. And what a time it must have been for enthusiasts; so many jets and squadrons. This one is close to being my finest too!

r26m53.jpg

Vulcan B.2, XL443, 83 Sqn. Airfix.

My finest, not only because I love Shackletons but because the kit just looks so detailed and realistic. All those props and decals make her look like she's ready to clatter down the runway. Very pleased with how this one turned out, especially as she was an ebay bargain!

2iuf52.jpg

Shackleton AEW.2, WL795, 8 Sqn. Revell.

And a gratuitous 'Woodford apron' shot ...

1zd3dpx.jpg

Edited by Lord Riot
  • Like 21

1) First? Not my first model, but the first built that I have a photo of. Airfiix Lancaster, sometime in the early to mid 1970's I think.

1970lancaster.jpg

2) Favourite. A bit bigger than most here build, a scratch built 1/6 scale R/C B-17G-BO-1 Fortress.

Wingspan - 17 feet 3.5 inches, Tailspan - 7 feet, Length - 12 feet 4.5 inches, Take off Weight - 135 pounds ( with full fuel load ), Wing Area - 39 sq ft.

7.JPG

3) Finest. Not sure; this is perhaps the best I have photos of. Monogram 1/48 B-26 Marauder hangar queen.

b26_140.jpg

• Like 24

Hello everybody ... Lets see My first back after 10 year break was this Monogram F-100D. It was an attempt at some rescribing and fixing of obliterated rivets. Sprayed with Rattlecans and some brush work. Particularly proud of the heat staining.  nbrCgaA.jpg

Next up is my Favorite build its Monograms F-86D. It was my first ever foil finish as well. WjWscZP.jpg

My Finest work was the recently finished AMT P-40N “Geronimo.”

JmWcls7.jpg

Thanks for starting this thread. 

Dennis

• Like 20

First:

Airfix BF109F from the old Airfix kit, my wife bought it for me as an amusing Christmas present in 2006... who knew what she was starting!  Built using my old Humbrol enamels from my childhood dug out of the shed.

tn_79d38bbb-6670-42d9-962a-df33cb716116.

Favourite:

Hasegawa Phantom FG.1 A&AEE, used the Ram Models decals and some resin.  First time with a wash and pre-shading, where I felt I was getting somewhere with my skills and still very proud of it.

tn_bf223a5c-ac28-416c-953f-084d254a731d.

Finest:

Hasegawa Phantom FGR.2, the first time I used a Big-Ed set.  It remains the 'best' kit I have ever built but it stopped being fun before it was finished.

tn_40b69e05-9298-470c-9db5-06ad97ec8e58.

• Like 19

This is a good idea.

I didn't have a camera until I was 18 and as all my childhood models went to the tip when I was 16, there isn't any pictorial evidence of there awfulness. I was more about speed of construction in those days rather than quality. So This is my first returnee build (Feb 2015) – The Tamiya 1/48 Me 262 (with Kettenkrad). It was my first use of an airbrush.

8105f323-2d10-4163-8ccf-fd3ecc9d92e2.JPG

My favourite so far wasn't a kit at all, but a 1/48 scratch-built RAF hut and contents (May 2017):

6c3184e2-c716-453b-82e1-cc0a143d2687.JPG

Which I built as part of an airfield diorama. I don't like to brag (now there's a lie) but this is currently displayed in the Midland Air Museum.

My finest is probably the Italeri 1/48 Hs 123A (Aug to Nov 2017). Major changes where made to the kit to get it to something that I considered to be presentable.

a7a54daf-0d09-4273-8901-71180ccec042.JPG

I will probably remain my finest for some time as the build turned into a bit of a chore, which has lead me to decided to go back to more basic modelling in the hope that I'll enjoy it more.

• Like 20

Hi, great topic! 👍👏

The following is a Spitfire Mk.VIII "contraprop" modified from an ancient 1/72 Frog kit when I was a boy, too long time ago... 😊

It isn't the first, it isn't the finest but I have nice memories with it. A few years ago I brought it to a contest (thinking to do a joke to a friend of mine) and, incredible, it was awarded as the "the most particular subject". 😲😲

39930670760_84ea31f4b5_z.jpg031, su Flickr

Thanks for looking, ciao.

Davide

Edited by davmarx
  • Like 17

An interesting twist!

I have no pics that I know about of my childhood builds, so my "first" is this Revell Fokker Eindekker, picked up on a whim from the lhs when I decided to get back into modeling in 2011, after about 28 years away. The rigging was all I could find locally, a very overscale fishing line.

40928335215_0e588ad387_h.jpg

My favourite is another very old kit, and this was my third build of it, the first was as a kid, OOB and not rigged. I was determined to put it right and have an accurate example of the type. It's the Airfix RE8. A heck of a lot of work was required altering the fuselage and wings, a Choroszy resin engine was added, and the interior, undercarriage, tail surfaces and bomb racks were scratchbuilt. MiniWorld guns and Barracuda resin pilot's seat completed it.

34878338814_53000c277d_h.jpg

My finest, (in my view), is also my latest. The Libramodels vacform  FBA corrected to a Donnet-Leveque. I added a SmallStuff engine and corrected the rear hull with a 6" file (I'd filled it with miliput first!). I'm particularly pleased with the wooden hull - painted with acrylics.

26931980539_fa2ba776d5_h.jpg

Ian

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

The one I alway's consider my favourite is Eduard's Fokker Triplane I never thought I'd pull off the paint scheme but sort of got there by brushing  the 

colour's while still wet.

DSCN1077_zpsnfevgcw8.jpg

DSCN1082_zpssmiwg9et.jpg

• Like 29

This is a fantastic idea for a topic delta.

I have photos of models that I built which are no longer around. Some of them could be regarded today as Classics, others are more obscure, but because there may only be one or two photos taken at the time they would not warrant a Topic on their own.

So this is a great idea to show off models from yesteryear, and maybe a few tears of regret may be shed too ..........

So to those tears of regret .................

resized_70ae932d-e4f7-4e45-9145-e48d5ee2

This was my 1/72 Airfix Fokker F27 Friendship. In the late 1970s Airfix remarketed their Friendship as the military Troopship transport and this model was bought in 1979 as the Troopship. It had two decal options for Dutch airforce examples, one camouflaged and the other grey and white with dayglo panels.

I built the latter option. Then a few years later I repainted the model in this Braathens airline livery which is what Airfix issued the kit as in the late 1960s.

Because I had no decals I had to brush paint everything with Humbrol enamels except for the Letraset lettering.

resized_5191f105-808a-403a-9446-2305c3b9

This is the box that my model came in all those years ago.

adey

• Like 18

Since getting back into it about 18 months ago.

First (that I've got photo of)

P3170874.jpg

Favourite (an early build where I went off piste with the paint job)

P5071339.jpg

Finest (second attempt with an air brush, loads and loads of filler)

P2110373.jpg

Still a lot to learn and I only do "cheap" kits without any after market parts.

Edit. Can't make my mind up, so here are few honourable mentions.

lig2.jpg

P3280444.jpgP9275116.jpgP7062347.jpg

Edited by Harry_the_Spider
  • Like 19

There's been a lot of kits I've built over the years, but the one I always return to as a bit of a personal favourite is this:

Airfix 1/72 Auster Antartica:

resized_040810e6-3080-4749-8bf5-c56d01ce

I rebuilt the interior complete with the cage, thinned down the canopy and - most importantly of all - I scratchbuilt the peguins! :penguin:

I placed it in a natural setting - snow. :doh:

It's not a superbuilt model, but  - I don't know - there's just something about it - and it's yellow! :D

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

Hans J

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

On 4/26/2018 at 1:37 PM, Army_Air_Force said:

a scratch built 1/6 scale R/C B-17G-BO-1 Fortress

Now I'm really jealous... I fly RC but i'm still floundering around with an Eflite Apprentice!

• Like 2

Well, here's my first, bought and built last year.  Old G-George... Figured I'd start with a bang and go straight to a heavy.  No floor wax, no decal solutions and acrylic brush-paint right out of the pots.

IMG_0890

My favortie isn't even a kit.  After building a Hurri, I had the pilot left over (didn't want to hide the interior) and yesterday, on a whim, whacked together a deck chair out of wire scavenged from a micro RC pushrod and Tamiya tape and a parachute pack from a bit of balsa covered with tape and dunked in a dirtying wash.  The hardest part was getting his feet crossed in a relaxed pose.  I wanted to set him sleeping but didn't trust myself to perform the surgery required to put his chin on his chest. 

Pilot 2

I realise "finest" is a relative term but, at my stage of the game, there is no finest... I'm still struggling to reach "fine"!

• Like 21

9 hours ago, HansReggelsen said:

There's been a lot of kits I've built over the years, but the one I always return to as a bit of a personal favourite is this:

Airfix 1/72 Auster Antartica:

resized_040810e6-3080-4749-8bf5-c56d01ce

I rebuilt the interior complete with the cage, thinned down the canopy and - most importantly of all - I scratchbuilt the peguins! :penguin:

I placed it in a natural setting - snow. :doh:

It's not a superbuilt model, but  - I don't know - there's just something about it - and it's yellow! :D

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

Hans J

Wow i really like your Auster vignette. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, HansReggelsen said:

Airfix 1/72 Auster Antartica

I love this build...I have one in the stash and will be using this image as a way to gauge my own construction.  Superb!  Excellent penguins too ☺️

• Thanks 1

My BIGGEST ..........

In 1990 I built the 1/72 Monogram Convair RB-36D Peacemaker. It was quite a new kit then and I built it in our small flat. It was crisply moulded in a quality silver grey plastic and went together precisely. The fit of the wings to fuselage was excellent and a large spar supported them so I did not glue them on to start with which made it easier to store and transport.

My girlfriend had moved into my small flat and she put up with me spraying it with Humbrol G11 Silver from a can in the small utility room. In fact she encouraged me and she became my wife. I brushpainted everything else including the large grey areas.

resized_ab64f312-d509-4367-aeb1-4a298728

This is my RB-36 soon after we moved into our new house. I was able to have a spare bedroom as my modelling room and I now had more space to display this monster.

I then decided to glue the wings to the fuselage. Only problem then was remembering to tilt the model on its side before taking it through doorways.

resized_d4176d7c-4e41-4fcf-b996-a1420cf1

I displayed the RB-36 at a number of model shows during the 1990s and this is how I transported it with the backseat down in our hatchback. I made a stand out of MDF which slotted into the bomb bay so I could display it in flying mode and not take up so much club table space.

resized_718b8e37-db95-4517-83b8-d0982684

Here it is displayed on its stand on our club table at the Bridlington Spa about 1997.

resized_c5457914-788d-4fd8-aec7-212b5d6e

And again at the Bridlington Spa. The MIL 6 helicopter is mine, I converted the basic VEB kit by building a new nose, tailboom and rotors. The Italeri TB-58 Hustler, FROG Whitley and TSUKUDA HOBBY Yak-38 Forger were mine too.

During the show a local newspaper reporter asked if he could take photographs of us with our models.

resized_257f6bb1-b6e5-4ea7-8a5a-b52c6687

Unfortunately we were photo-bombed by the Polish Air Force .........................

adey

• Like 23

Here are my three for this post...I apologize for the grainy images...all 1/72nd, of course. 😉

My first jet...Airfix Mig-15, OOB, old kit, lots of fun and I was very pleased with it.  I think I posted an image of it here last year.

These are all pre-airbrush as well, btw.

40072184190_7251eb3039_z_d.jpg

My favourite...

Roden Alb. DII Oeffag s.53. OOB...rigged with stretched sprue and Ethicon.   I really love making that spruce plywood look and I have a penchant for the Austrian craft over the German.  I guess I have thing for the Old A-H Empire in general.

40072184160_5f59f02d41_z_d.jpg

...and my best?  I have to go with my Czech Master Resin Hansa-Brandenburg W20, designed by a young Ernst Heinkel in the later stages of WW1 for use as a fold-away recon attached to U-boats.  Only three were ever produced and the U-boat designed to carry them never made it past the drawing board.  The kit was very fun to build and I added some extra bits like fuel lines, radiator hoses and, of course, rigging, all Ethicon.  The decals were very nice too.

40072184700_0ea3fd7aa0_z_d.jpg

This is a fun little thread!

--John

• Like 18

Cool thread guys, great posts.

Adey love the RB-36 😍

My oldest model, as all I have of my first model is the Airfix header card. The Airfix 1958 Focke Wulf Fw 190D, no,no don't be scared, it's only a photo,

35765116732_981bcfec76_o.jpgDSC06826s by Neil, on Flickr

My favourite, a rubber powered 18 inch wingspan Veron designed Comper Swift I finished in 2008,

36150300575_7456dd52b8_o.jpgffFinished20JUL08VH-ACGsml by Neil, on Flickr

My best, it's really a toss up between four models, but this one, Hmmmmm 😎

Hasegawa F-106 Delta Dart modded with gatling gun, frameless canopy and various aerials,

36099565081_98bcfdff74_o.jpgDSC06413 15. 90094s by Neil, on Flickr

Great thread,

Cheers all 😎

FAA 😎😎

• Like 19

My first finish back to the hobby was a Tamiya boxing of the AmTech Ta.183 Huckebein, which is an awesome little kit, and even today all it lacks is a bit of detail.  I didn't even have a photobooth back then! :shocked:

done1.jpg

done2.jpg

Favourite and finest (IMHO) is my AMK Mig-31 Foxhound, which was a joy to build, and with a bit of help from @ya-gabor, I did a lot of detail painting that gave it some extra realism.  Sadly, that model now has a nasty list to port due to the inherent weakness of the kit landing gear, which even though I finished the build without breaking mine, has slowly sunk over time.  I do have the metal gear set on hand, but I just haven't had the nerve to pull her to bits & replace them, as I'm scared of smooshing all those delicate details. :unsure:

mig-31bm-1.jpg

mig-31bm-2.jpg

mig-31bm-3.jpg

mig-31bm-4.jpg

You can find a link to that one in my sig is you're interested :)

• Like 25