Condor Boeing 707 in 1/144 - Minicraft modified

Lovely job , classic aircraft  and livery, cant get much better than that.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Cheers Michael.                                 

• Like 1

Only thing missing is the smokey exhaust, wish I could’ve got a ride on one or at least a walk through. Do the nose wheels look a bit big? Just something that caught my eye.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Only thing missing is the smokey exhaust, wish I could’ve got a ride on one or at least a walk through. Do the nose wheels look a bit big? Just something that caught my eye.

The closest I've ever got to a walkthrough on a 707 is the partial fuselage at East Fortune which now serves as a cinema! There used to be a preserved 707 at Hamburg Airport but I can't remember if it was open to the public and I'm not even sure if it's still there.

I hadn't thought about the nose wheels until you mentioned them. I've had a quick look at P.R. Smith's book and the wheels might be fractionally too big but not to the extent that it bothers me.

Hi Dave;

Such a beautiful airplane. And a beautiful model! As usual, you've presented another masterpiece. Much appreciated. Didn't know the history of Condor, that it was a charter subsidiary of Lufthansa. Thank you for educating me! Now as for the model itself...wow. I didn't know about the Phase Hangar nose conversion, either...and it has just made the model as it should be. What a brilliant addition to make her more accurate. I have a couple MC 707s in the stash, and I'll for sure order a couple of those noses before tackling them. Looks, too, like you're going to need a larger display base! She hangs over on all sides! She's a beauty! Very nice job. And how in the world did I miss this one??? I saw you posted her back in April...must have had my head in the sand about then. 😉

P.S. Hows about getting in a little closer with your camera?? Really would love to see some close ups of the main gear!

• Like 1

Thanks for your kind comments Paul. Did you notice that I posted this in April 2018? For some reason the thread has come back to life more than two years on.

As I mentioned in the introduction, there were specific reasons for not getting the camera too close to this particular model. D-ABOC definitely looks better from a couple of feet away which tends to be the case with most of my models!

Dave G

• Like 1

I joined in March 2017...I certainly should have seen this post. At any rate, I’m seeing it now...and it is very pleasurable to gaze on it. And I still think you should do a close up. But then, I do understand that you more than anyone else know the best angles and distances to compliment the build to be at its best. And you never fail to do just that! Nice build, for sure. 

Paul

Edited by Challenger350Pilot

me likey likey... really nicely done. Allthough i dont know, i'd be surprised if they hadn't the emergency exit guidance markings, always though it was a legal requirement even back then.?! i think all 720s also had it... but anyways, doesnt matter - model looks superb and i really like your choice of livery.

btw i living next to that Lufthansa plane, which has been donated from boeing in the early 80ies. the story about it is really interesting...

• Like 1

On 7/5/2020 at 1:43 AM, Skodadriver said:

Thanks David and others. I was surprised to see the thread coming back to life!

I agree about the Roden engines. I'm hoping that my next RFI will be a Roden 720B which is currently in the paint shop. The engines are really nice but the fit of the pylons to the wings is awful.

i know i mentioned it before in another Boeing 720-related thread, but a couple of people reported back saying if you shave/file off the raised pads on the wing undersurfaces that it actually improves the fit of the Roden pylons.

I have 2 Roden 720s in my stash now but aside from some test fitting have not really dived in. However a friend of mine DID finish one and the removal of the pads mode did seem to help the looks of the finished model.

Thanks @David H. I fitted the engines to my 720 before painting. I had to do quite a bit of filling particularly just ahead of the leading edges but I got there in the end. Unfortunately good joints were at the expense of some p.i.t.a. masking but you can't have everything. The issue on the Minicraft 707 was the fit of the engines to the pylons rather than the fit of the pylons to the wings and at least the design of the Roden engines means you only have to worry about the pylon to wing joint.

• Like 1