RMS Tantallon Castle 1894

The colour was called "Lavender grey."     Belonged to the Union-Castle Line, in which I served myself for 11 years from 1965 to 1976, when I had to leave because they decided to sell all their ships!☹️     They were once a very famous line, but these days, hardly anyone has heard of them, unless they served in them, or had some connection with them.   If you do a Google search for Union-Castle Line, you will see hundreds of pictures of their ships.     They looked really beautiful when lying in the sunshine in Cape Town, with Table Mountain in the background!    Here is one I built of Winchester Castle.   - Bob 

WINCHESTER_CASTLE_Medium.jpg

Edited by ShipbuilderMN
Added image
  • Like 9

Good looking ship.   The Japanese did produce some magnificent vessels.   Your Fushimi Maru was completed by Mitsubishi at Nagasaki in 1914 and torpedoed by the USS Tarpon in 1943!

Bob

Well, I would imagine the plans went up in the atomic attack, but they may have been published in a tcehnical journal  when the ship was completed such as Shipbuilder, Shipbuilding & Shipping Record or Shipbuilder & Marine Engine Builder.     Here is a model of her in the USA, they may have plans - Bob   https://rlkitterman.deviantart.com/art/NYK-Line-Ship-Fushimi-Maru-666905603

• Like 1

On 4/26/2018 at 1:28 PM, ShipbuilderMN said:

The colour was called "Lavender grey."     Belonged to the Union-Castle Line, in which I served myself for 11 years from 1965 to 1976, when I had to leave because they decided to sell all their ships!☹️     They were once a very famous line, but these days, hardly anyone has heard of them, unless they served in them, or had some connection with them.   If you do a Google search for Union-Castle Line, you will see hundreds of pictures of their ships.     They looked really beautiful when lying in the sunshine in Cape Town, with Table Mountain in the background!    Here is one I built of Winchester Castle.   - Bob 

WINCHESTER_CASTLE_Medium.jpg

I have to agree Bob, that is a very attractive colour scheme. I'd love to see more of that particular line modelled.

Your model of the Winchester Castle is, as usual, stunning.

Thank you for showing it.

Not much chance of that, I am afraid!   The ship model scene is dominated by kits, and kit producers do not seem very keen on anything that does not have guns.    Not that I would like the situation to change, because I am reluctant to build anything that has been produced in kit form.    I prefer the obscure, or semi-obscure, merchant ship every time!

Bob

Edited by ShipbuilderMN
  • Like 1

On 4/26/2018 at 3:35 PM, Courageous said:

Do you know where I can start for plans, etc?

Stuart

NYK line still exists as a shipping group within Mitsubishi shareholdings. There is a NYK Museum in Yokohama. 

http://www.nyk.com/rekishi/e/index.htm

The website is in very good English, so you might have some luck making an enquiry.

• Thanks 1