My First Ever Build

Hi everyone, 

Here it is...my first ever build. When I say first ever, I really mean my first ever plastic kit build of any type. As this is the case, I'm expecting lots of critiquing, but this is exactly what I want!!! Fire away!

It is the easy assembly Hobby Boss 1/72 Mig 3. I attempted the white colour scheme for the first time build. Crazy right? For the light blue underside I used a brush and for the white I used a spray can. I used a white primer for the whole thing and also added a couple layers of varnish at the end. 

What I learnt during the process of my first ever build:

1. Canopies are a b*tch.

2. Long, big decals like the red arrow are a b*tch.

3. Painting is really hard to get right, but is enjoyable.

4. Getting the wheels into position is frustrating.

5. Keep cats out of the workshop.

6. I want to do more more more!!!

Here it is:

20180425_170041.jpg

20180425_170311.jpg

20180425_170418.jpg

20180425_170349.jpg

20180425_170526.jpg

20180425_170230.jpg

Edited by Coutinho
  • Like 38

For a 1st build you're doing pretty good 👍.

Not to much to critique here but I’ll mention these few things. Did you use filler ? The lower fuselage rear wing joint looks like it might need either some or some more. The canopy is sitting proud above the fuselage. I would sand the edges down, and try to blend that in a little bit better. Id do it with filler or surfacer just to smooth the transition between canopy and plane. Thats about it for now. In the future you can add a bit of weathering and wear & tear to your models. That is once you've gotten that skill down. 

Dennis

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

For a 1st build you're doing pretty good 👍.

Not to much to critique here but I’ll mention these few things. Did you use filler ? The lower fuselage rear wing joint looks like it might need either some or some more. The canopy is sitting proud above the fuselage. I would sand the edges down, and try to blend that in a little bit better. Id do it with filler or surfacer just to smooth the transition between canopy and plane. Thats about it for now. In the future you can add a bit of weathering and wear & tear to your models. That is once you've gotten that skill down. 

Dennis

No filler used, although I do have some available. I'm planning to practice using it on my next build.

As for the weathering, that is still something quite far on the horizon in my mind. Still a few things I want to learn very well first.

Thanks for the advice!!

Pretty much what Dennis said above. As for the painting accuracy, the Soviets didn't paint yellow tips on their props. I know HobbyBoss shows in the instructions, they are wrong. If the Soviets did paint the tips, you have painted too big an area. These are just minor, and I mean very minor, quibbles. As a first model, your MiG is very nice.

I await further great builds.

Chris

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Pretty much what Dennis said above. As for the painting accuracy, the Soviets didn't paint yellow tips on their props. I know HobbyBoss shows in the instructions, they are wrong. If the Soviets did paint the tips, you have painted too big an area. These are just minor, and I mean very minor, quibbles. As a first model, your MiG is very nice.

I await further great builds.

Chris

Thanks for the feedback!

I have been questioning Hobby Boss' accuracy so far in my second build. They seem to be off in a lot of areas. But, their kits are great for beginners, so I'm not complaining!

I think you've done a fine job!

Many, many times better than my first model (vanity prevents me from revealing how long ago that was....:winkgrin:).

On the whole I'd say you're off to a good start.

:goodjob:

• Like 2

Good job Coutinho!

Remember, we all started once!  The thing to remember is that role-playing games, experience points count. The more you do, the better you will get. That being said, even if you do a couple that you don't like, hang onto them. They will be useful one day upon which to practice painting, use for spare parts, or perhaps to even re-do at your then higher standard. Biggest thing is to have fun. There is no "correct" way to do any model, but there may be many "better" ways that you can learn as you journey along.

Best of luck,

ED

• Like 2

Pretty impressive for a first build - nice demarcation on the paint and no obvious glue blobs; my first model had LOTS!

Looking forward to more :)

• Like 1

First build? Here's to many more, great work and superb little kit's to get your skills honed. Try some more!

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, invidia said:

very good looking build for your first kit, very nice, i didn't even paint my first model (was in the late 70s).  

Mine was in the late 60's. The less said about it, the better.

Chris

10 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Dammit! Another ‘first build’ that puts my 40 years of building models to shame. 

How can this be stopped? 🙁

I know!

Chris

• Like 1

Excellent start.  Congratulations.

13 hours ago, Coutinho said:

5. Keep cats out of the workshop.

How?  If I shut mine out she makes such a fuss I have to give in eventually. To be fair she doesn't bother with the models but she always wants to sit on my knee which isn't ideal.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

Excellent start.  Congratulations.

How?  If I shut mine out she makes such a fuss I have to give in eventually. To be fair she doesn't bother with the models but she always wants to sit on my knee which isn't ideal.

This is almost exactly what I was gonna say. But mine wants to stand between me and my kit.

Great model.  I love the Mig-3.

What a great start!

My first kit was unpainted, had glue blobs all over it and was never posted on the internet......well the internet didn't exist in the mid 70's!!! LOL

So glad to see a newcomer to the hobby

Enjoy...have fun and definitely post your next build as we would all love to see it

Cheers

Bruce

If that is your first model then I think you've missed out. It's too good.

You really do need to get an old Airfix, Frog or Matchbox kit, stick it together on one (preferably wet) Saturday afternoon, making sure nothing lines up, put the transfers on without painting it, and then run downstairs in time for Dr Who (the original one..)   

Only then will you be allowed into the fraternity of plastic botherers.

null

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Great start and good looking. Two tips of mine.

Put on a wash (black or dark brown oil paint thinned heavily, smeared on, let rest for an hour and then wiped of with a cloth. The paint will stick in the crevices and this will add more depth).

Second buy masking tape and mask the canopy. Follow the lines first with a cocktail stick and then cut with a sharp hobby knife. Takes time too butin the end much easier...

Continue please.

Greetz TC

Cracking job...  Well done.   Canopy tip nice one ...😁

26 minutes ago, Twentecable said:

Great start and good looking. Two tips of mine.

Put on a wash (black or dark brown oil paint thinned heavily, smeared on, let rest for an hour and then wiped of with a cloth. The paint will stick in the crevices and this will add more depth).

Second buy masking tape and mask the canopy. Follow the lines first with a cocktail stick and then cut with a sharp hobby knife. Takes time too butin the end much easier...

Continue please.

Greetz TC