Revell Lancaster Mk I/III & Heinkel 117

Beginner

On 4/26/2018 at 4:04 PM, Beginner said:

masks

On the subject of masks, I learned a trick recently from the lads on here, simple but something I'd never have thought of.  Say you've painted the bottom of the plane in the sky colour.  When you mask that off to paint the brown on the upper side, first go around the edges of the mask with a thin coat of sky.  Let it dry then paint the brown.  The sky at the edge of the mask will "bleed" under the mask and seal it instead of the brown bleeding under and ruining the clean edge of your sky colour.  This saved me a lot of cursing and touch-up work.

• Thanks 1

My best advice would be to start with a subject that interests you. That way, your enthusiasm will see you through.

As others have said, start off with brush painting to get used to thinning paint and applying in two or three light coats, with plenty of drying time in between. With thinned paint, don't be put off by the first coat as it will look a little bit messy. Just build up the thin layers of paint until you have a nice even finish. Another piece of advice, if you want inspiration for brush painting, search the WIP and RFI sections of the forum for anything by Tonyot, he is THE master of the craft of brush work.

Finally, don't be put off by "mistakes", they are not mistakes, look at them a learning points and you'll soon build up your skills.

I really hope you enjoy your chosen model, you have a nice selection of kits to choose from in your bargain box (I wish I was that lucky 🙂).

This is a wonderful, absorbing hobby and the fun is in learning.

There are lots of very knowledgeable people here on Britmodeller, who will go out of their way to help you, so don't be afraid to ask.

Good luck and Happy Modelling.

Chris.

• Like 3