1/72nd Hasegawa B-25H Mitchell, 1st Air Commando Group, USAAF, Burma 1944....FINISHED!!!

tonyot

Hello Folks,..... sorry,....me again! 

My Grandad fought with the Chindits in Burma during WW2 and my wife`s Grandad also fought against the Japanese in this theatre (as well as the Italian`s and Germans in N.Africa and a number of pre war tustles in Palestine, India, Burma etc too!). So I would like to dedicate this model to both of these gentleman who are no longer with us anymore having gone to the big NAAFI in the sky,.. and everybody else who fought with and supported the Forgotten Army.

During the Quebec Conference in August 1943 President Roosevelt learned of the 2nd Chindit operation in Burma, led by Brigadier Ode Wingate, known as Operation Thursday, and he was so impressed that he ordered a USAAF to be set up to support them, led by Colonel John R. Alison and Colonel Philip Cochran which became known as the 1st Air Commando Group. Equipped with C-47 transports, CG-4A gliders, Allison engined P-51`s and B-25`s along with some other support types,..... it would be responsible for the insertion of the troops behind enemy lines during February 1944 and then their onward supply by air as well as close support,... although the RAF was also involved too.

I have always wanted to build a model of one of the B-25H`s flown by the 1st ACG and so I`ll be using the 1/72nd Hasegawa kit along with some old decals from the old Revell (ex Matchbox) kit and a superb set of decals from DP Casper.

Here is the kit along with the DP Casper decals;

40979482164_85ecbfac65_k.jpgDSCF3105 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

The sprues;

26829873487_fb185b8650_z.jpgDSCF3106 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

I`ve built up the wings, nacelles, engines and tail;

40798680745_c5b70f2ab2_k.jpgDSCF3113 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

And here is the completed cockpit and interior,......painted using Humbrol Grass Green and Dark Green for the cockpit,..... the co pilots control column was removed as the B-25H was operated by a single pilot with the loader for the 75mm cannon taking up the jump seat;

39890742070_69d64d63a3_k.jpgDSCF3110 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

40798682125_ee39284d5a_k.jpgDSCF3111 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

39890741440_69dc67e182_k.jpgDSCF3112 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Having just built the 1/48th scale Monogram kit,....it is amazing how this smaller Hasegawa kit is broken down in a very similar way with similar looking parts..... the Monogram kit must have been used as an inspiration at least! 

So that is it for last night and this morning,.....hoping to get a bit more done tonight,

Cheers

Tony 

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 11

Another nice choice 👍 I salute your relatives service :poppy: ... I think i have some photo’s of Soviet Mitchells. I also remember reading that they replaced some of the Turrets with Soviet made Turrets. I’ll take a look through my library and see if i can find the correct info. 

Dennis

• Like 1

Another great choice Tony.

I remember building the old Matchbox kit in these markings many, many years ago.

@Corsairfoxfouruncle, I think you are referring to the Douglas A-20's that sometimes had the Soviet UTK-1 turret installed as I don't remember ever seeing a Soviet B-25 with a UTK-1, though I am happy to be proved wrong.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Another great choice Tony.

I remember building the old Matchbox kit in these markings many, many years ago.

@Corsairfoxfouruncle, I think you are referring to the Douglas A-20's that sometimes had the Soviet UTK-1 turret installed as I don't remember ever seeing a Soviet B-25 with a UTK-1, though I am happy to be proved wrong.

I still have to look through some other sources. However I must admit that is a distinct possibility in crossing the two in my aged brain.

I believe now that must have been the case. I must have crossed the two types in my head  

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

Cheers Fella`s and yes the old Matchbox kit was one of the inspirations for this build,...... having built one as a kit I loved the artwork, both on the box top and also along the sides but at that age could never master painting those five stripes around the fuselage,.... it has been a long time coming but hopefully I can reproduce a better representation of a 1st ACG B-25H this time!

41001759524_549e2d9d2b_z.jpg560007-14053-89-pristine by Tony OToole, on Flickr 

And onto the model,.....I got the fuselage together and added the short gun nose which was packed out with weight in the hope of being able to sit on its wheels unaided! I also added the nacelles to the wings;

26851684787_bed3dae4c6_k.jpgDSCF3114 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Cheers for now,

Tony

• Like 5

Hiya Folks,

Still plodding along with this one,.....got the wings attached now and most of the seams sanded smooth,.....nearly ready for some paint,... just need to add the rest of the exhaust stubs to the nacelles first! 

27895015148_431a74ba2a_k.jpgDSCF3126 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

The 1st ACG had some bare metal B-25H`s,... some with blue or black stripes on the fuselage,.... but I`m not aware if any had nose art or anything,..... so I`ll stick with a camouflaged aircraft in standard USAAF OD/NG.

Cheers,

Tony 

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Great choice of subject Tony, if only 'cause I've got that kit & decals & can peer over your shoulder on this. :) I'll be looking forward to see it come together. Looking good thus far.

Steve.

Don't blink Steve, at Tony's world record modelling pace, this one will be ready before the sun rises again tomorrow morning!! 

Building a mass of kits of the same subject is something that appeals to me, however I've had three 1/72 Spits on the go now for over three weeks and besides the iinterior paint, are still in bare plastic. 

I'm joining Steve on the Mitchell viewing couch Tony... now C'mom Steve, move over and don't hog the pop corn!! 

Cheers.. Dave. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Don't blink Steve, at Tony's world record modelling pace, this one will be ready before the sun rises again tomorrow morning!

Just as well. I've the attention span of a grass hopper. :D What was that you said about popcorn? ;)

Steve.

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, Beard said:

That's a lovely smooth finish on the Olive Drab. What colour did you use for the seat backs?

Cheers Beard,

I used RAF Trainer Yellow for the seat backs,..... as the B-25 that I went in out in the States had yellow seat cushions! 

I`ve started to apply the Pactra acrylic Neutral Grey undersides now;

40058230770_e80bafe907_k.jpgDSCF3200 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Cheers

Tony

• Like 8

48 minutes ago, tonyot said:

I used RAF Trainer Yellow for the seat backs,..... as the B-25 that I went in out in the States had yellow seat cushions!  

That's 'proper' research. Thanks.

• Like 1

Hiya Folks,... I got the decals on today,..... those fuselage stripes were even harder to put on as they look!

41937717022_efd4357582_k.jpgDSCF3237 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

.40175632170_a524947a66_k.jpgDSCF3238 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

And also found some strips of white decal in the spares box to add the strips around the armour plating,.... seen in photos of the real aircraft;

41263649174_b7271e6ab8_k.jpgDSCF3246 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

27113355167_a3adabbd2b_k.jpgDSCF3248 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Hopefully I`ll get some matt varnish on tomorrow,

Cheers

Tony  

• Like 10

'Twas obviously a very productive modelling day in the O'T household Tony? 

This is looking very sharp and what decalling difficulties you had with those stripes is certainly not noticeable with these photos. 

Another B-25 beauty in the making. Promise us that you'll take a group shot of all your builds when this Mitchell love affair is over - that's if you haven't still got other schemes in mind! 

Cheers,, Dave. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

'Twas obviously a very productive modelling day in the O'T household Tony? 

This is looking very sharp and what decalling difficulties you had with those stripes is certainly not noticeable with these photos. 

Another B-25 beauty in the making. Promise us that you'll take a group shot of all your builds when this Mitchell love affair is over - that's if you haven't still got other schemes in mind! 

Cheers,, Dave. 

Haha,.... cheers Dave,..... yes it has been a busy day!! I`ll take a group photo of my Mitchell`s when finished,.... and no,.... I`ve no more planned yet! I`m also building the Revell C-54,.... so plenty to keep me busy! Lots of fiddly detail in the interior and engines but quite satisfying now that it is coming together..... I keep thinking of the late chief pilot  `Arnie' from `Ice Pilot`s' doing his Dambusters drop in one,.....while building it! 

41937717622_97866131c4_k.jpgDSCF3234 by Tony OToole, on Flickrl

Cheers

Tony

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, tonyot said:

I keep thinking of the late chief pilot  `Arnie' from `Ice Pilot`s' doing his Dambusters drop in one,..

I watched that a few times when it was on TV here. I was seriously impressed by what they attempted and did with the whole thing. From building the Dam, Then actually making a working spinning dummy bomb. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, tonyot said:

.... those fuselage stripes were even harder to put on as they look!

This is looking quite excellent Tony, I've a Hasegawa one of these in stock to do this with, its those fuselage stripes scare the living tripe out of me, you did good with yours.

Steve.

• Like 1

Cheers Fella`s,..... well after a bit of a spurt,.... I`m calling the model finished! A matt coat and some weathering then the undercarriage, turret etc and it is done! In photos of the real `Barbie III' it has very grey looking exhausts staining along each cowling,.... a sign of a lean running engine,.. and I have attempted to replicate this by dry brushing various enamel grey shades behind the exhausts.

42091894961_5b1ebd2795.jpgNorth American B-25H by Tony OToole, on Flickr

41191847585_469c93e98a.jpgbarbie iii 3 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

This model is dedicated to everybody who fought in India/Burma,.... especially the Chindit`s who 1st Air Commando Group were set up to support. Their leader, Major General Orde Wingate DSO (X2),  was killed in one of these B-25H`s when it is thought to have flown into a jungle covered hillside during poor weather.

40284364350_d615eaa0f9_k.jpgDSCF3333_NEW_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

27221926487_8c4decb76e_k.jpgDSCF3329_NEW_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

27221923727_4924af9269_k.jpgDSCF3334_NEW_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

27221928367_fcd5346bc4_k.jpgDSCF3324_NEW_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

40284366870_bd1a8cf560_k.jpgDSCF3326_NEW_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

27221929557_c4d2dbe324_k.jpgDSCF3322_NEW_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

27221927027_dd14540ef5_k.jpgDSCF3327_NEW_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Cheers,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 12