Eduard Liberator GR Mk. V/VI Identification Help!

Gondor44

Gondor

i’ve been Re-reading the JaPo book to try and clarify the various weapon/equipment fits. These varied by squadron and period and i’m still trying sort it out in my head. One thing does seem clear. They didn’t carry rockets and a Leigh Light. Libs generally, including rocket ships, were being rotated through SAL at Prestwick from late 1943 to have LL fitted. The external rocket fit came first in 1943. These were being removed on rotation. The internal fit came in late 1943.

311 sqn seems to have been the main user of the internal fit and even it was removing them in Dec 1944/ jan 1945, probably because u-boats were no longer being found on the surface.

I was going to make a full post of my findings once I feel clear about it. I’m already re-considering where the BP tail turrets might have been fitted. This may in fact be at SAL after delivery to the UK

• Thanks 2

Gondor

There were examples of external rockets and belly radar in 311 from about July 1943 to March 1944 e.g. BZ769, 774,782,786,798,763,875.

Then from Feb 1944 the squadron began to receive examples with internal rockets and Dumbo noses e.g. BZ743,717,741,751,745,721 and FL948,955,953,978,944. These were kept until March 1945 when Mk.VIs were received.

• Thanks 1

I found a copy of Scale Aviation Modeller the other day which had a conversion of a Hasegawa B-24D into a Liberator GR Mk V. The article in the September 2010 issue depicted PP-Z, BZ751 which the author/modeller had taken from the Revi decal sheet #72003 Czech Consolidated B-24 Liberator GR V/VI, he also used the Pavla #72040 Liberator GR Mk V Part 2 detail set.

The author/modeller also fitted a scratch built bomb bay rocket launch system and fitted a Leigh Light too.

An interesting build as it provides pictures of the detailing of the interior as much as all the onther information.

Gondor

17 minutes ago, Gondor44 said:

I found a copy of Scale Aviation Modeller the other day which had a conversion of a Hasegawa B-24D into a Liberator GR Mk V. The article in the September 2010 issue depicted PP-Z, BZ751 which the author/modeller had taken from the Revi decal sheet #72003 Czech Consolidated B-24 Liberator GR V/VI, he also used the Pavla #72040 Liberator GR Mk V Part 2 detail set.

The author/modeller also fitted a scratch built bomb bay rocket launch system and fitted a Leigh Light too.

An interesting build as it provides pictures of the detailing of the interior as much as all the onther information.

Gondor

That's one of the issues I missed, between my vendor not selling SAM and getting some PDF copies.

Chris

11 hours ago, dogsbody said:

That's one of the issues I missed, between my vendor not selling SAM and getting some PDF copies.

Chris

I'll have to have a look at home for that, might be lucky although the copy right Police might start complaining. Paul

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Decided to bite the bullet and ordered a copy of the Eduard "Riders In The Sky 1944" kit via ebay as I could get it a bit cheaper there. That saves me haveing to backdate the J version to a D which means I can always use the J as a GR Vi?

Gondor

• Like 1

On 5/20/2018 at 3:57 PM, Gondor44 said:

Decided to bite the bullet and ordered a copy of the Eduard "Riders In The Sky 1944" kit via ebay as I could get it a bit cheaper there. That saves me haveing to backdate the J version to a D which means I can always use the J as a GR Vi?

Gondor

This arrived today, next purchases will be the brass set for the bomb bay and a set of the bomb bay rockets then a build thread will be started.

Gondor