1/48 - Fairey Britten Norman BN-2A/B & T (Turbo) Islander by Valom - released - new boxing

Homebee

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I hope there will be a lot of spare antennae on the sprues, I need a number of those hockey stick ones for 993. I have though resigned myself to having to whittle the ESM and other lumps, bumps and panels.

Come on Valom my wallet is waiting.

16 hours ago, bar side said:

Like this a lot.  What year did these come in to service?

The first 'RAF' one entered service in 1991, and they were withdrawn a couple of years back. I always liked the one with the low-viz cheatline.

A later Army one will need a bit of work as they had clear removable panels added above the cockpit. The Army ones also has a two tone paint scheme (lighter grey underneath) whereas the RAF ones seem to have been a single shade.

There were also two Army Islanders operated in Desert Pink in 1991

https://www.dstorm.eu/pages/en/gb/islander.html

Edited by Dave Fleming
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

The first 'RAF' one entered service in 1991, and they were withdrawn a couple of years back. I always liked the one with the low-viz cheatline.

A later Army one will need a bit of work a dsthey had clear removable panels added above the cockpit. The Army ones also has a two tone paing scheme (lighter grey underneath) whereas the RAF ones seem to have been a single shade.

Thank you for this - never knew about the Pink Islanders! You learn something new every day! :)

Some pics of Aldergrove AL.1s, earliest is around 2000, they are now under RAF control though still Army marked.

48725833903_cb6d32d958_b.jpgis 2 by Tony Osborne, on Flickr

48725833883_10a45a273f_b.jpgis 3 by Tony Osborne, on Flickr

48726163166_ed08fc7f01_b.jpgis 4 by Tony Osborne, on Flickr

48725839243_13acca57c0_b.jpgald wing 04 014 by Tony Osborne, on Flickr

48726175281_1acd3858da_b.jpgatc 1 015 by Tony Osborne, on Flickr

48726184436_1959ebc62c_b.jpgIMG_0047 by Tony Osborne, on Flickr

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

A later Army one will need a bit of work as they had clear removable panels added above the cockpit. The Army ones also has a two tone paint scheme (lighter grey underneath) whereas the RAF ones seem to have been a single shade.

Dave,

We handled some of the Aldergrove Defender AL1 on a regular basis at Dundee. Although that was a few years ago, i cant remember the lower surfaces being a lighter shade. We were also visited by the AL2s for a while and i cant remember them being different. 

Also wondering what you mean with "Later Army" has the AL2 had the longer fuselage, maybe same as a Trilander.

Arabest,

Geoff.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jazzie said:

Dave,

We handled some of the Aldergrove Defender AL1 on a regular basis at Dundee. Although that was a few years ago, i cant remember the lower surfaces being a lighter shade. We were also visited by the AL2s for a while and i cant remember them being different. 

Also wondering what you mean with "Later Army" has the AL2 had the longer fuselage, maybe same as a Trilander.

Arabest,

Geoff.

Hi Geoff, by ‘later’ I meant AL1 later in service. They added clear panels/hatches above the cockpit at some point. They may have been escape hatches as they appeared not long after the accident to ZG994 or that may just have been a co-incidence.

The demarcation on the colour scheme is quite subtle, it follows the lower edges of the fuselage onto the point of the nose, It was quite obvious on ZG845 when it was in the static at Leuchars in 2012. You can see it on this photo

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/7458131

On the wings there is a slight wrap around from the upper surface from outboard of the de-icing strips.

1509105-large.jpg

the one thing I’ve yet to establish clearly is where the light grey stops under the fuselage. I probably need to get to Middle Wallop to look at theirs!

It’s actually something a lot of British grey aircraft have that’s not obvious (HS125s, some Sea Kings)

Edited by Dave Fleming
  • Like 2

Cheers for that Dave,

Probably put fuel in all the AL1s they had bar ZG994 and never once noticed the lighter shade underneath. Should have my own photos of them as well so will have a dig around see what i can find.

Arabest,

Geoff.

• 2 months later...
On 1/9/2019 at 8:42 PM, Aeronut said:

Having put a tape measure to the full size Islander AL1 at Middle Wallop I fear that the kit will also need new wing panels. The turbine engines are slimmer than the piston engines (30 inches instead of 36), meaning that the rivet line for the engine nacelle on the flap in the kit is 1/8 inch too wide, there is also an oil cooler above the engine on the leading edge and the vents either side of the engine under the wing differ from the current kit as well. 

All these changes will be needed for a civil BN2T, for the RAF and AAC Islanders there will also be numerous lumps and bumps , additional glazing and a veritable forrest of aerials needed.

There was at least one dealer at SMW who was selling the Turbine Islander, so I can report that there is an additional sprue for the engines, propellers and drop tanks plus some of the military lumps and bumps. Two bulged windows are provided in vac form and there is an additional brass fret for antenna, wing fences and rear fuselage avionics hatch.

Bad news is that, as I feared, the engines haven't been reduced in width.

3 hours ago, Aeronut said:

There was at least one dealer at SMW who was selling the Turbine Islander, so I can report that there is an additional sprue for the engines, propellers and drop tanks plus some of the military lumps and bumps. Two bulged windows are provided in vac form and there is an additional brass fret for antenna, wing fences and rear fuselage avionics hatch.

Bad news is that, as I feared, the engines haven't been reduced in width.

Oooh I bought one and didn't know about the width problem. Bit of a bummer. I assume it's a bit more complicated than just making the nacelles thinner...

Jon

I saw these at Telford up in the corner by The Kit Crazy chap. £29 I nearly picked on up and they had a couple of 1/48 JPs’ and Piston Provosts.

4 minutes ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Anyone seen this Islander before - I think it must have been a 'what if!' (not connected to seller) 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pilatus-Britten-Norman-BN-2T-Islander-Scale-Model/254425565002?hash=item3b3cf2074a:g:nBcAAOSwvotdiN52

TT

It existed and flew, so not a 'What if' as such.

5 hours ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Anyone seen this Islander before - I think it must have been a 'what if!' (not connected to seller) 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pilatus-Britten-Norman-BN-2T-Islander-Scale-Model/254425565002?hash=item3b3cf2074a:g:nBcAAOSwvotdiN52

It was built and flown as G-DLRA, saw it at Farnborough like that.

It then received the familiar spherical nose radome, when CASTOR became ASTOR(?).  It served for a long time as ZG989 but it has now reverted to its civil reg with some nice markings.

Hopefully aftermarket will create some ASTOR conversions.

49096292543_caa23f6eab_b.jpg

BN2T Islander ASTOR ZG989 by James Thomas, on Flickr

It's evolution,

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/construction-number/2140?f=&f=&sort=model&order=desc

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 71chally said:

It was built and flown as G-DLRA, saw it at Farnborough like that.

It then received the familiar spherical nose radome, when CASTOR became ASTOR(?).  It served for a long time as ZG989 but it has now reverted to its civil reg with some nice markings.

Hopefully aftermarket will create some ASTOR conversions.

49096292543_caa23f6eab_b.jpg

BN2T Islander ASTOR ZG989 by James Thomas, on Flickr

It's evolution,

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/construction-number/2140?f=&f=&sort=model&order=desc

It looks cool in this livery.

I didn't realize it also was the hockey puck version too.

• Like 2