1/48 - Fairey Britten Norman BN-2A/B & T (Turbo) Islander by Valom - released - new boxing

Homebee

Ebay. I bought mine for £30 (+ £2.99 p+p) from a seller called heepdrutt (UK). With luck it may be here today. He has both the Aurigny and BA (Loganair) releases.

Plus, check 26decals as Ray has some kit and decal releases due shortly. I'm hoping to get the Olympic version.

Jeff

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

Ebay. I bought mine for £30 (+ £2.99 p+p) from a seller called heepdrutt (UK). With luck it may be here today. He has both the Aurigny and BA (Loganair) releases.

Plus, check 26decals as Ray has some kit and decal releases due shortly. I'm hoping to get the Olympic version.

Jeff

Yes, the Olympic liveried machine looks tasty!

Tommo.

I got my "Aurigny" box of it this morning. I won't add much except to say it is a lovely detailed kit with some very neat and fine rivet and panel detail, detail that the "revered" and idolized Airfix couldn't even come close to.

The decals are the only let down from what I can see as the Aurigny scheme will depend heavily on your ability to mask sets of narrow parallel cheatlines. So, I'll wait for 26decals or others to produce alternate schemes.

Fuselage details -

20181130-114909.jpg

Fin detail - 

20181130-114859.jpg

Upper wing detail showing the fine rows of rivets. These appear more pronounced in the picture than they are with your eye - 

20181130-114558.jpg

Jeff

• Like 3

There are some etched brass pieces to add to the underside. Curiously, their position is faintly marked on the underside but it looks as though they were once a feature of the mould but were removed leaving just the faint outline of them.

Yeah, the fuselage details may be a wee bit too pronounced but either a) sand back lightly or b) celebrate that we have manufacturers who don't endlessly churn out "spitcane 109s" and have the courage to give us a 1/48 Islander.

I'll gladly take the latter option!!

Jeff

• Like 1

Yep, will order one shortly. I'd like to see if some of the schemes (mainly Air Seychelles or Skybus (well, living in Cornwall it would be a shame not to)) will be available as stand alone decal sheets. The Aurigny kit I have is in desperate need of a better decal sheet!! And with limited space I don't think I've got enough room for more than a couple. 

Jeff

On 11/29/2018 at 8:54 AM, pinky coffeeboat said:

Jeff

Me too - I have one coming from the same E. Bay seller - much cheaper than a well-known UK model supplier!  Alas, the big let-down with Mikr Mir/Valom is the decals as just not enough effort is put into research and printing of their decals and we have to wait for someone to produce after-market sheets. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AMB said:

Me too - I have one coming from the same E. Bay seller - much cheaper than a well-known UK model supplier!  Alas, the big let-down with Mikr Mir/Valom is the decals as just not enough effort is put into research and printing of their decals and we have to wait for someone to produce after-market sheets. 

About £15 cheaper than a well-known UK model supplier??!!

The Aurigny decal sheet is awful to be really honest - 

20181202-093958.jpg

The black stripes are meant for the MCA aircraft, hence why I said earlier that Aurigny will depend heavily on your ability to mask precisely. I think the font for the HM Coastguard is wrong and the underwing serial is missing. Not that it bothers me, it's not a scheme I wouldn't even dream of doing but others may want to.

Does anyone have a picture of the Loganair (BA) decal sheet?

Jeff

Edited by pinky coffeeboat

9 hours ago, gavingav said:

Any chance of an RAF bird

Alas no!  The RAF and Army Islanders are TURBINE Islanders with different engines, pointed nose and other minor differences. We would need an after-market manufacturer to produce resin parts to make the conversion.

Edited by AMB
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, gavingav said:

Any chance of an RAF bird

797px-RAF_Northolt_2009_BN_Islander_CC2_

Yes there will be an RAF version with the additional turbine engine parts etc included in due course and the current kit release does include the pointy nose as well as the standard nose cone.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, AMB said:

Alas no!  The RAF and Army Islanders are TURBINE Islanders with different engines, pointed nose and other minor differences. We would need an after-market manufacturer to produce resin parts to make the conversion.

are the turbine engines and pointy nose already on the sprue's but not used?

45319117284_32bd47f802_b.jpg&key=ae99cd4

seems to be two different nose cap parts here

45319116034_c1e5377926_b.jpg&key=cdd2c70

The more pointed nose is on the sprue but looking at the picture of the Army (or RAF?) Islander that nose seems to be rounded at the fuselage joint and a different shape too. And those engines aren't on the frame either.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, CaracalModels said:

Caracal Models will release at least one decal sheet for the 1/48 scale Valom BN-2 kit, with both military and civilian options.

Could we have VP-FAY of Falklands Islands Government Air Service please? (The white one destroyed at Port Stanley.)

Many thanks,

Gareth

9 hours ago, CaracalModels said:

Caracal Models will release at least one decal sheet for the 1/48 scale Valom BN-2 kit, with both military and civilian options.

My suggestions: BN-2A/B

- Belgian Light Army Aviation

- Danish Air Force Homeguard

- Armed Forces of Malta

Thanks in advance.

Waiting now the BN-2T Turbo Islander boxing or conversion set.

And hope one day a model company will produce a 1/48th plastic injected family of Beechcraft 200 & 300 King Air.

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1