Fairey Swordfish 1/48 Tamiya

Hi.

I am starting a Tamiya 1/48 Fairey Swordfish Mk. II, and I will make a series of videos of the full build.

The first video is about the cockpit.  

Here is some pictures of the cockpit as of now:

1co286U.jpg

w3d523S.jpg

2TfYuUk.jpg

7yqB1Lc.jpg

KxXgZER.jpg

9no69pc.jpg

You are all welcome to participate and help me out. Thanks.

• Like 7

The Eduard photo etch parts are amazing for the kit, they really make it shine out. 

The wooden panels were made with oil paints. They look good for the kind of visibility they will have.

While the Tamiya fits are great, still need to apply some putty and buff out some seams, but way less than I was expecting.

I am preparing now to paint it all white and after, some camouflage. 

amqu5tkl.jpg

mk2rhpMl.jpg

QF9T0Srl.jpg

dpATzzQl.jpg

xlZvhJAl.jpg

22BGIUpl.jpg

• Like 3

You’ve made a great start on what is a very good kit. Unfortunately those side panels aren’t wooden but doped linen. The dope was red which gave a patchy pinkish effect on the inside of the fuselage. Fortunately, it can barely be viewed once the fuselage halves are together as you can tell 🙂.

Are you planning on using the etched rigging set?  I’ve built the Mk I and the Mk II and struggled with it, (which doesn’t mean it’s unusable but probably a reflection on my modelling skills). I ended up using ez line for both of mine. Watch the wings, it’s easy to end up with anheadral if you aren’t careful. 

Once again, great work and look forward to seeing this progress. 

Best regards

Howard

• Like 3

Fabulous! - just watched your video - it certainly gives a different & interesting perspective on a WIP - very nice photos too - I will enjoy watching this Swordfish build as I have one in the stash to do one day

CJP

16 hours ago, Howard Moon said:

You’ve made a great start on what is a very good kit. Unfortunately those side panels aren’t wooden but doped linen. The dope was red which gave a patchy pinkish effect on the inside of the fuselage. Fortunately, it can barely be viewed once the fuselage halves are together as you can tell 🙂.

Are you planning on using the etched rigging set?  I’ve built the Mk I and the Mk II and struggled with it, (which doesn’t mean it’s unusable but probably a reflection on my modelling skills). I ended up using ez line for both of mine. Watch the wings, it’s easy to end up with anheadral if you aren’t careful. 

Once again, great work and look forward to seeing this progress. 

Best regards

Howard

I saw this picture, and I assumed it would have a woodish look, even we can clearly see the linen wiring... 

wGMw8IZl.jpg

Edited by Never a Pro

10 hours ago, CJP said:

Fabulous! - just watched your video - it certainly gives a different & interesting perspective on a WIP - very nice photos too - I will enjoy watching this Swordfish build as I have one in the stash to do one day

CJP

Thanks a lot. There are a lot of professional scale modelers on youtube that are doing this and it really helps to demonstrate the proper skills and strategies for a great build.

Yet, I want to add my own flavor, with historical accuracy details, a little comedy twist, and above all, entertaining 10 min bits for everyone. 

Your feedback is really encouraging. 

Well, as a stash owner, let me know what you would like to see before you start it. 

Edited by Never a Pro
  • Thanks 1

Really interesting to see a video build and you have done a really nice job on the cockpit. Towards the end when you add the PE dials are you using CA glue? I used to use CA glue for PE dials but now I use "Gator's Grip" acrylic hobby glue, it has a strong bold but gives you a lot of time to position. I also brush the back of the PE dials with Gausy Glass Coat to create lenses. 

8 hours ago, Frank083 said:

Very nice start! The cockpit is gorgeous & the wood effects very convincing!👍

Frank

Thanks, although I need to learn to do other kind of wood grains, I have an Albatros in my stash.

4 hours ago, pipthepilot said:

Really interesting to see a video build and you have done a really nice job on the cockpit. Towards the end when you add the PE dials are you using CA glue? I used to use CA glue for PE dials but now I use "Gator's Grip" acrylic hobby glue, it has a strong bold but gives you a lot of time to position. I also brush the back of the PE dials with Gausy Glass Coat to create lenses. 

Those PE parts have glue already, they are self-adhesive, although I had to CA all of them except the instrument panel.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Never a Pro said:

Those PE parts have glue already, they are self-adhesive, although I had to CA all of them except the instrument panel.

I always remove the self-adhesive now from the start because by the time I have messed around preparing the parts I find the self-adhesive often isn't very self-adhesive any more 🙂

54 minutes ago, pipthepilot said:

I always remove the self-adhesive now from the start because by the time I have messed around preparing the parts I find the self-adhesive often isn't very self-adhesive any more 🙂

Yup, I learnt that, although for the instrument panel, it kind of is enough.

• Like 1

Work from yesterday. 

I wasn't planning at all to do the black primer, but I don't think it was right to have the under wings all white with no different shades. 

So, I copied the pros, and did the whole pre-shading. 

I am still struggling with my cheap airbrush/ paint. Sometimes it flows just about right, sometimes it sprinkles and spews, but I believe if I applythin layers, I will be able to amend and get a nice coat.   

sLxLlqRl.jpg

rsvFDA8l.jpg

xFLNDCbl.jpg

i0ufYESl.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, 

Took 2 weeks, finally I was able to lay the white coats. I was very frustrated on how the white layers never looked good until the last two layers (I applied around 7, I believe). White over black is not that fun, but I think I managed to get those nice shades in the fuselage panels.

FoaV5gPl.jpg

Camouflage was a much needed rewarding step, and it is starting to look like a decent kit, finally. 

hRMZtgel.jpg

Now, on to paint smaller bits, clear coat it, and do the decals. 

Here is the video of the priming and painting step. BTW, anyone care to explain why that black splatter in the beginning of the video occurred?

Thanks a lot.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
On 8/29/2018 at 3:20 PM, CJP said:

Very nice Swordfish - I have one in my stash but am a bit daunted by that rigging - you make it look so easy

CJP

Video editing... I just pick the good parts.

It actually doesn´t help assembling and worrying if it´s  on camera, and can´t use all angles and make sure the hands don´t block the kit. 

In the end, trust me, it is not that complicated, it just needs some patience.

• Like 1