Spitfire Mk.Vb Malta Defender!

Hello again! 

Allow me to present my latest work,  Spitfire Mk.Vb 249 Sqn. RAF, Malta 1942. This was great fun to do as I love this unusual scheme and the beat up weathering that Malta based figures endured. 

Happy Modelling!

Darren.

Kit: Tamiya 1/48 Spitfire Mk.Vb Tropical

Aftermarket: Eduard RAF Seat harness.

Decals: From Airfix kit.

Paint: Tamiya & Mr.Hobby acrylics.

Weathering: AK Interactive washes and artists oils.

IMG_6959_zps9az7l3hj.jpg

IMG_6911_zps7zofr7xn.jpg

IMG_6961_zpsx0aufysc.jpg

IMG_6960_zpsy4nb9ew9.jpg

IMG_6932_zpsf2bvh9vb.jpg

IMG_6963_zpsml2zsifn.jpg

IMG_6952_zpslmaautfa.jpg

IMG_6922_zpsnfjra3mo.jpg

IMG_6949_zpssdnbo1xm.jpg

IMG_6957_zpsm5whsmgm.jpg

IMG_6964_zpsgcnyxtve.jpg

IMG_6930_zpsvfsgwra6.jpg

IMG_6946_zpswykg6mix.jpg

IMG_6909_zpsemi9et0j.jpg

• Like 62
  • Thanks 1

Very nice work, with a bit of artistic license thrown in… 

A parked Spitfire invariably has the elevators drooping, unless a stick locking bar is installed.

Rotol props are made of wood and would be unlikely to show scuffed metal showing through. ;-)

The top blade appears in the photos to have negative pitch.

An attractive model nevertheless!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

Hi Darren!!!

Congratulations for this Wonderful build that deserves to be replicated!!!

I was wondering which colors and brand you have used to get the flavor of this build, as I am planning something since a long time when read something about "Screwball" Buerling...I will try my hand but  in 1/72 and if looks at least as 40% as wonderful as yours for sure will be more than happy.

Thank you very much for sharing!!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

Thanks Guys, I appreciated your feedback! 

4 hours ago, Luis Alfonso said:

Hi Darren!!!

Congratulations for this Wonderful build that deserves to be replicated!!!

I was wondering which colors and brand you have used to get the flavor of this build, as I am planning something since a long time when read something about "Screwball" Buerling...I will try my hand but  in 1/72 and if looks at least as 40% as wonderful as yours for sure will be more than happy.

Thank you very much for sharing!!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

Hi Luis! Thank you! For this build I used Tamiya Sky for the undersides and for the upper surfaces I used Mr.Hobby RAF Dark Earth and for the Blue/Grey shade I used my own  mix of Tamiya Ocean Grey and Falt Blue.  

• Like 1

On 4/24/2018 at 11:42 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Good looking Mk.V :thumbsup: I need to do one of these but the can o’ worms around the paint schemes that I've researched is whats holding me up. 

There has been much research and a lot of debate on Malta colour schemes, but the best that can be said is that some are more likely than others. I would suggest looking at the various schemes that have been postulated,finding one you like and going for it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

To be honest I read that book and lost the will to live somewhat.  The author sometimes didn’t seem to be looking at the photos in his own book.  And then some of the profiles varied again!

personally I think if you look at a photo, use what rules there are and a bit of common sense, your model will be as likely as anyone else’s!

cheers

Will

• Like 1

7 hours ago, malpaso said:

personally I think if you look at a photo, use what rules there are and a bit of common sense, your model will be as likely as anyone else’s!

cheers

Will

Good advice!

Pete

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 12:09 AM, davidelvy said:

There has been much research and a lot of debate on Malta colour schemes, but the best that can be said is that some are more likely than others. I would suggest looking at the various schemes that have been postulated,finding one you like and going for it. 

Absolutely. I used to get similarly wrapped up worrying about late war German colours. As if any of it mattered.

Don't sweat the small stuff. Build your Spit and paint it some shade of blue. It'll be fine!

• Like 1

On 4/25/2018 at 1:53 AM, Tango 1 said:

Thanks Guys, I appreciated your feedback! 

Hi Luis! Thank you! For this build I used Tamiya Sky for the undersides and for the upper surfaces I used Mr.Hobby RAF Dark Earth and for the Blue/Grey shade I used my own  mix of Tamiya Ocean Grey and Falt Blue.  

Hi Darren!!! 

Will look in depth for a build, will look which kit of the stash fits and some decals and after will go for a nice build. 

Thank you very much for the colour recipe and for your kindness and  help!!!

Cheers!!!

Luis Alfonso