Hurricane MK1 Airfix 1:72 night fighter

Hairtrigger

I have the above in my stash and wanted to do something a little different ordered the relevant exhausts for it via Hannants also comes with decals.

Has anyone done a Hurricane in night fighter guise?   Would love to see your finished result if you have.

Two different serials are in play here.  Which are we talking about and what about provenance of the information?

9 hours ago, brewerjerry said:

Hi

link to photo here

https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=44771

looks like it maybe a metal wing ? 

cheers 

Jerry

file.php?id=444334&t=1&sid=04836262d6121

yes, metal wing.  The serial maybe from a logbook,  I can't see one.  Note scruffy paint job.    Any proof that the port side reads ZJ-C?  

27811554428_f80efa0068_z.jpg

note the position of the 'ZJ' and roundel in the decal placement are wrong, and this shows the gun access panels of a fabric wing plane(which I doubt)

also, from this photo you can't see what spinner is fitted, though it is a Rotol blade showing, some V**** planes had the Hurricane 'bullet' Rotol fitted though.

also, regarding paint schemes

General overview of Hurricane camo, but some on Nightfighters

https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery/index.php/Modeling-References/Camoflage-Markings/03-Hawker-Hurricane

HTH

In the photo, a lot of a pale colour (Sky?) is visible on the rear fuselage, which the painting guide doesn’t show. 

The profile of the other machine looks to also have a bullet Rotol to me- could those easily be retrofitted (Your prop thread may have the answer, Troy, but I‘m a bit time pressed at the mo)?

Thanks Work In Progress.  Perhaps I should have added "prewar" or even "pre-Blitz" but I thought it clear in context.  However, not everyone is immersed in the Hurricane's history. 

There are other differences between the metal wing Hurricane and the early aircraft fabric-covered wing provided by Airfix.  The landing light is in a different position in the wing, the ammunition panels differ.  The propeller is different.  The canopy is different - there's armour plate on the windscreen of the later ones.  There's no venturi on the fuselage side of later aircraft (not sure now whether it comes in the kit or not).  The aerial mast can be different.  Troy has pointed out that the fuselage fabric panel can differ - I don't know when that change was introduced.  There was quite a range of modifications made to the Mk.I so it does pay to have photos of the one you are modelling.

However I don't know of any with a retractable tailwheel and no surrounding keel, as on the AML set.

Thanks gents for all the information, I'll be perusing the links provided carefully.  The depth of knowledge on here is really quite amazing.

Well now I know the kit I have would be totally inaccurate for the night fighter version...   Looks like it'll be the 615 Sqdrn RAF Kenley Aug 1940 KW. Z then straight out of the box ..  

• Like 1