1935 Auburn Speedster - The Abysmal Lindberg/Pyro Kit Completely (900+ hrs) Reworked

Hi,

Though the Auburn Speedster is one of the really iconic cars of automotive history there was never any usable styrene kit. The 1:1 Speedster looked like this (for those who are not sure):

photo-vi.jpg
photo1-vi.jpg
photo-vi.jpg

photo-vi.jpg

photo2-vi.jpg

photo1-vi.jpg

Wire wheels were optional, to my knowledge lateral wind deflectors as seen here were neither standard nor optional.

Whatever you hear about the 1/25 Lindberg (former Pyro) kit don't believe it - everything is much worse. All kit parts are crude and mostly out of scale. Fit is disastrous. Panel lines are still raised. A lot of important parts aren't replicated at all. Worst of all OOB the finished kit is so ludicrously ill-proportioned that it looks rather like a caricature:

comp_VergleichOOB130-vi.jpg

After 60 years of modeling and several hundred built kits I think this is the poorest kit I have ever seen. Lindberg's claim on the box "Authentic Scale Model" is a joke even if you consider the age of the kit - many other manufacturers' kits of the same era are still usable.

After comparing the box content with an excellent scale drawing found on the web it was clear from the start that this would be a most challenging and very time-consuming project.

As expected I had to convert almost every spot of the nine-piece body:

comp_VergleichDraufsicht130-vi.jpg
comp_VergleichEinzelansicht130-vi.jpg

All the rest of the kit was completely useless because it was so poor and so incorrect that it couldn't even be modified. Finally the finished model was half conversion and half scratch build, and my sacrifice of time exceeded 900 hours.

Since the proportions are now completely different some more pictures than usual in my topics may make sense.

Auburn001130-vi.jpg
Auburn002130-vi.jpg
Auburn003130-vi.jpg
Auburn004130-vi.jpg
Auburn005130-vi.jpg
Auburn006130-vi.jpg
Auburn007130-vi.jpg
Auburn008130-vi.jpg
Auburn009130-vi.jpg
Auburn010130-vi.jpg
Auburn011130-vi.jpg
Auburn012130-vi.jpg
Auburn013130-vi.jpg
Auburn014130-vi.jpg
Auburn015130-vi.jpg
Auburn016120-vi.jpg
Auburn017120-vi.jpg

Edited by Plastheniker
  • Like 25

Hello Jurgen,

Yes, Kits are very often somewhat euphemistic in the descriptions given on the box, that said, you have managed to produce another beautiful model.

Regards

Richard