1/48 F-16AM RNLAF Demo Jet (Tamiya Conversion)

• 3 weeks later...

The colour is going on 😉

Here she is in vallejo white primer:

F16_J015_027.jpg

This is also proof that the KASL spine fits really well.

For the Mr. Paint orange, the aircraft should be primed in white, since it isn't very opaque, and you would need very thick layers to cover up colour variations or darker base colours.

After the primer was cured, I sprayed the first layer, the light orange without any metallic particles: (on the rear, near the exhaust, I already sprayed a little bit of the metallic top coat)

F16_J015_028.jpg

Cheers,

Markus

Edited by Delayar
  • Like 5

Thanks!

After the base orange was dry, I shot the metallic orange.

F16_J015_029.jpg

the darker orange fits perfectly to the colour of the Syhart decals. I sprayed the arresting hook area and the inside of the ventral strakes in this colour.

F16_J015_030.jpg

After that, I carfully masked the orange parts to paint the black parts. In most areas, the boundaries of the black areas are marked by decals, so the outline don't have to be masked exactly.

F16_J015_031.jpg

The grey IFF antenas have been painted by brush.

Now it is ready to receive the black decals.

Cheers,

Markus

• Like 1

Looking good.

Can you tell me what else needs painting in the darker orange? I was wondering how necessary it was to purchase and if it was not much more than the paint you need if you want to paint the lion yourself instead of using decals.

Hi!

I can't tell you yet. Theoretically, everything you need is on the decal sheet.

When I applied the decal to the front wheel door, I found out that the decals are not sized for the Tamiya kit. So I will try out if the decals on the fuselage side behind the wings fit.

I will tell you of my results.

Cheers,

Markus

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The decals are on at last.

This was by no means easy, as the decals are very fragile and need a lot of decal softener to conform to the surface details. Also, they seem to be not specifically sized to the Tamiya kit. But thankfully, there is enough sheet decal material in the darker orange to compensate for too small areas. The only issue is that the decals are not completely opaque, so if they overlap, the overlap areas are darker than the rest.

F16_J015_033.jpg

Now a gloss clearcoat will follow.

Cheers,

Markus

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi!

Some other projects in the last weeks prevented me from working on any models.

In the meanwhile, the gloss coat over the decals had anough time to dry, so I could do some detail painting, like the metal doors and mesh areas on the belly.

F16_J015_034.jpg

The position light on top of the vertical tail was made from a clear sprue. For the A, it is more rectangular than for the C.

F16_J015_035.jpg

The smokewinders were fitted with little ram air intakes on the bottom between the fins.

F16_J015_036.jpg

Also, I did coat the black areas with a semi-gloss coat.

I would have finished the aircraft yesterday, but when attaching the jet nozzle, I messed up with the CA glue. The glue settled while the nozzle wasn't pushed in the whole way. Luckily, during the process of extracting the nozzle, only the painting of the exhaust got messed up, the airframe itself remined undamaged.

F16_J015_037.jpg

This is a review of how it will be mounted. The base in the picture is just a provisional base, and also the length of the acrylic rod probably will be shorter. I will determine the final length once the exhaust is repainted and fitted.

Cheers,

Markus

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Delayar said:

Hi!

Some other projects in the last weeks prevented me from working on any models.

In the meanwhile, the gloss coat over the decals had anough time to dry, so I could do some detail painting, like the metal doors and mesh areas on the belly.

F16_J015_034.jpg

The position light on top of the vertical tail was made from a clear sprue. For the A, it is more rectangular than for the C.

F16_J015_035.jpg

The smokewinders were fitted with little ram air intakes on the bottom between the fins.

F16_J015_036.jpg

Also, I did coat the black areas with a semi-gloss coat.

I would have finished the aircraft yesterday, but when attaching the jet nozzle, I messed up with the CA glue. The glue settled while the nozzle wasn't pushed in the whole way. Luckily, during the process of extracting the nozzle, only the painting of the exhaust got messed up, the airframe itself remined undamaged.

F16_J015_037.jpg

This is a review of how it will be mounted. The base in the picture is just a provisional base, and also the length of the acrylic rod probably will be shorter. I will determine the final length once the exhaust is repainted and fitted.

Cheers,

Markus

The metal door in your first photo is the JFS (jet fuel starter) exhaust, so if you have the urge to do weathering on an otherwise squeaky clean show jet, this is a place you can satisfy those urges :D

I feel like my inner voice telling me not to weather has grown an outer voice :D

Back to seriousness, that is looking very nicely done. Looking forward to seeing the finished result. 

• Like 1

Nearly there! Looks great. Not wantingto take anything away from your lovely work, but I think your greatest achievement was managing to keep the static dischargers attached, something I've never managed to do with any of my F-16's.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Thank you.

Yes, I htought it was the JFS, but wasn't sure 😉

And I also broke (and lost) two of the static dischargers, luckily, the set included two spares. The one on top of the vertical tail will be attached last.

Cheers,

Markus

When installing the static discharger on the tip of the tail, I noticed that there was quite some paint build-up on the other dischargers, which affected their delicate appearance. I therefore carfully stripped them of the paint and repainted them, preserving their detail.

F16_J015_038.jpg

I also repainted the exhaust and attached it to the aircraft. It is now finished, i only have to make a nice base.

F16_J015_039.jpg

Cheers,

Markus

• Like 1