Adding Red dot to US ROUDNELS

Jimd0586

I just added decals to an SBD Dauntless but they lack the red dot. Ideas on how best to stencil them and airbrush? I am building a coral sea dauntless but the decals were midway so I’ve been improvising.

Jim

Hmmm, I think masking over a decal on the model might lead to tearing the decal. I don't know what scale but could you:

A) punch out a red dot of the proper diameter  from a solid red decal sheet 

B ) Use a circle cutter to cut out a decal circle of the proper diameter  from a solid red decal sheet.

If you gloss varnish over the star decal, then de-tack some good quality masking tape (e.g. Tamiya) by applying and removing it from a clean surface a few fews, then you should be safe to mask it.

Find something round of the right size (if you don't have compass cutters), e.g. end of pencil or rod; cut out circle from masking tape. I'd want the minimum of tape in contact with the decal, so cut a large hole roughly out of cling film, and use the tape mask with smaller hole to attach the clingfilm and also locate the circle on the decal. Then airbrush with light coats. You could be cautious by applying a first coat of clear varnish to seal the mask edges.

All the alternatives proposed above are good and all work. I may add another: spray the red circle on clear decal paper. In general having a separate red dot has the advantage of allowing an easier placement, if you mess up the mask alignment on the model you have a problem, with a separate dot you can simply make another one.

• Like 4

Just be careful with measurement.  The red circle diameter is determined by a (hypothetical) line drawn between the inner white points of the star.  So the red dot can never touch the white points, although you'll see badly done decals where that happens.