Airfix Victor

Boy oh boy what a kit. Assembled the cockpit, main u/c, nose gear & bay, air brake, tailplane & bomb bay.  Installed the intake trunking into the lower wings, then, placed the upper trunking on top & slid the rather complex intake splitters down through the top halves before securing them with liquid cement & allowing to set before removing them.  Then sprayed the trunking gloss white.  There will be the inevitable seam but I can probably live with it.  Also assembled the main u/c bays into the wings.  I don't think the instructions are very clear with the cockpit colouring.  I had thought black (it's a British post war jet - deal with it!) but suspect it's some form of mid grey which is what I used; not really critical as it's not really going to be visible!  Mind you I'm mightily impressed with the five(!) part ejector seats in 1/72 scale!

I had to consider the scheme I'll be building.  I'm not good with over all white finishes but the though of all the masking necessary for the camouflaged scheme fills me with dread so I'll go with the former.  Anyway it's going together surprisingly fast & I'll try to post more pics down the line.

u+71Wc3lStuvcL4EZarXAwl6z9OXXvSJykWACw5T9Zhg

• Like 15

It's tough but the Victor just edges it as my favourite aircraft of all time. 

I've also got one of these in my stash so I'll be watching this with interest. 

I have had the pleasure of working on the K2 during the mid 70's to late 82 and I agree that this is a truly fantastic looking aircraft that has yet to be surpassed in design styling. (my opinion). I will watch this build with the respect of a Victor devotee.

Bob 

Edited by Victor K2

Cockpit & airbrake all assembled & painted & installed along with bomb bay & nose gear bay.  I didn't go over board with the cockpit as little will be seen once installed - just looking for an effect.  Fuselage together & wing assembly attached.  Despite taking great care, the intakes "popped" apart while trying to manoeuvre the wings into position so I need to reseal, refill AND resand them which is a bit of a fag due to the awkwardness of the latter along with the care needed in handling a large assembly while doing so, really hoped to avoid that!  Fit is generally superb however & the whole thing is proving a real mojo restorer.  The Blue Steel is a neat little kit on its own.

FxR3I%ccTyKfFtma9m0xbQ

FHyLHu+tQzSNT6NCX74y5wa3+V8j7ZQXSoWzU5hDdBPQMq1I4h9sSY+6BVTu%WdWPgtT1SeI%9SaCGY8gS2Y1psQBk8gIe0GSZOIVCT1x3gIWQ3RyFuExwSL+cCiD71T95mg

• Like 15

Awesome! Even at this stage of the build you can tell the wings are longer than the tanker version. Looking forward to seeing this finished.

LOVELY LOVELY LOVELY BUILD!

For the anti flash white finish I recommend Citadel Corax White primer, then Halfords white primer, then Halfords appliance white.

2 light coats of each.

This is my Valiant done the same way...

tn_303322cb-414a-456e-9b50-3554264dade6.

• Like 8

43 minutes ago, At Sea said:

LOVELY LOVELY LOVELY BUILD!

For the anti flash white finish I recommend Citadel Corax White primer, then Halfords white primer, then Halfords appliance white.

2 light coats of each.

This is my Valiant done the same way...

tn_303322cb-414a-456e-9b50-3554264dade6.

That's amazing how many coats used! I just used one coat of satin white spray on my white Vulcan. I don't know how exactly accurate she is but it's good enough for me!

IMG29851525285882.jpg

• Like 4

In fairness each coat was very very thin, paranoid about runs in white.

So my preferred method is to mist on.

Also by doing it that way it gives me a bit of aircraft to hold on to each time!

• Like 1

On 5/2/2018 at 6:45 PM, At Sea said:

Great tip, out of interest, why two different types of primer?

33 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Great tip, out of interest, why two different types of primer?

Corax white is brilliant, it covers well and 'grips' onto all plastics and resin that I have used.  But it is a bit 'off-white' so I use it as a base for final sanding etc.

Halfords white is pure white but I find it can run and is a bit temperamental over filler and glue residues.

*Edit* Using a few coats also fills the trench like panel lines without loosing small detail on the model.

• Thanks 1

Oh, well, this is, errrr awkward!  Forgot the starboard engine fronts!  NO ONE LOOK UP THE INTAKE!, NO ONE LOOoh whats the use.  On the plus side I've applied just a few of the parts from the Eduard external detailing set, really just the u/c door parts although there are a few others I might use.

d6ExmhqbQii6f2Gf81+K6AgrrHfythTKyxzuhRaWWHHw

• Like 4

Simple diorama suggestion: put the starboard intake blanks in and have an erk with a step ladder walking round the front of the jet either to remove them, or to put the port ones in.  Thanks for reminding me that my engine fronts aren’t in yet either.

Edited by stever219
#@+*$~^<{% auto-incorrect
  • Like 1

More progress.  Primed yesterday with Alclad grey primer & rubbed down.  Now on with a coat of Humbrol Satin white.  Nearly a whole tin on the uppers & still not finished.  Another coat plus undersides to follow when I return from holiday so nothing for a couple of weeks 😪

1wzwXwikTECfuI6lAYMoKw0QtZvz7lQRmdSiupv3FeeA

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

That looks really cool now that its in it's overall white finish. The way all V bombers should look in my Martian opinion.

Martian

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...