Tamiya Caterham Super Seven

After picking up the recent re-issue of this kit, I decided to take a closer look at the one original one in my stash from 1994 and see if I could finish it. Thankfully, most everything was still in the box. I was missing the distributor so I had to make a replacement as well as source some new seats. Hope you like it.

DSC_0453-L.jpg

DSC_0446-L.jpg

DSC_0447-L.jpg

DSC_0448-L.jpg

DSC_0449-L.jpg

DSC_0454-L.jpg

DSC_0356-L.jpg

I picked up the kit and started it shortly after it came out but mucked up some bits on it, namely the seats and one of the aluminium side panels. As a result, I shelved it and have lugged it around for the last 24 years. Here's what the contents looked like after all those years.

DSC_0296-L.jpg

Finishing this was a great feeling. I'm glad it was worth hauling around with me for half my life. Now back to my HK B-25s.

Carl

• Like 12

3 hours ago, Thud4444 said:

Nice kit. Great choice on the blue. Wait, 24 years? That's unbelievable.

Thanks! I'm fairly certain it's the oldest kit in my stash. Hopefully the next one won't take as long. 

2 hours ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Great work. The first couple of shots make it look like the real thing!

Thanks! I'm still playing around with my photo booth but it definitely looks better than my usual RFI shots. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spiny said:

Ooh! Carpet! Must be the luxury model.:)

Looks pretty much flawless to me - nice job

Thanks for the compliment. Luxury in a Caterham must be an oxymoron. 

Edited by FG2Si

18 hours ago, Thud4444 said:

Wait, 24 years? That's unbelievable.

24 years? That's nothing. I have an Airfix Triumph Herald, priced at 6 shillings and Ninepence!. That's pre-decimalisation, so it's before 1971.

However, I think I bought it in 1969. That makes it 49 years old...

All the best, Alan.

Edited by Alan R
Typo
  • Haha 1

Excellent kit, excellent work! Brings back memories of my early days when I owned this Seven

BildeigenerSuperSevenb200-vi.jpg

from 1984 to 1990. I remember very well when I collected it at the premises still in Caterham, a southern suburb of London. All in all to this day it is still the most entertaining car I ever had.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Alan R said:

24 years? That's nothing. I have an Airfix Triumph Herald, priced at 6 shillings and Ninepence!. That's pre-decimalisation, so it's before 1971.

However, I think I bought it in 1969. That makes it 49 years old...

All the best, Alan.

That would be older than I am! You win there. 

12 hours ago, harveyb258 said:

Have always loved the look of Caterhams!  Great job!!

Thanks! 

5 hours ago, Plastheniker said:

Excellent kit, excellent work! Brings back memories of my early days when I owned this Seven

BildeigenerSuperSevenb200-vi.jpg

from 1984 to 1990. I remember very well when I collected it at the premises still in Caterham, a southern suburb of London. All in all to this day it is still the most entertaining car I ever had.

Awesome! My wife had promised we could get one but that was before we had two kids and a mortgage. Guess I'm sticking with my Honda Beat. 

8 hours ago, FG2Si said:

My wife had promised we could get one but that was before we had two kids and a mortgage.

Ha, that sounds familiar - in my case it was a 911 that the kids & mortgage cost me (the daughter's horse riding was a major blow too...!! :D)

Keith

• Haha 1