N.A. T-6G Texan, Nha Trang, South Vietnam, 1954-56

Howdy All,

Thought I`d share some pic`s of my latest effort, Revells reboxing of Monograms 1/48 Texan kit

329K4Jp.jpg

Completed to represent an aircraft of the Air Training Center, Nha Trang, South Vietnam, where they were used.....

mNWh5RK.jpg

...to train South Vietnamese pilots between 1954 to `56 until the training was relocated  to the USA.

0ZXluBO.jpg

Built pretty much from the box ( as there`s not a lot to add that Monogram didn`t provide )....

zicImuT.jpg

Exceptions being: wiring harness for the engine, seat belts and some aerials.

jQOYG4q.jpg

Decals came from a Hobbycraft Beaver, the stash and some from the kit

17m2yVY.jpg

Hope you enjoy, thanks for looking

Cheers Russ 

• Like 64
  • Thanks 3

Russ, I know a lot of guys don't like this kit for various reasons, but I do, and you NAILED it ! Just the right amount of weathering, it looks really good, the engine looks like it is just cooling down... awesome job !! take a bow

Jeff

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

Lovely looking Texan. I'm not really into weathering what you've done is just about right :yes:.

From a photographic point of view, I think the backdrop should have been something other than clouds, just my :2c:.

Cheers, I`m saving my `Junglie` back grounds for my next builds :smile:. Glad you like the weathering, I tried really hard not to overdo it on this one.

Thanks again, Russ

• Like 2

Great build and a great looking plane.  I think you are right to tone down the weathering simply because it was a training plane.  My own experience is student pilots keep the training planes pretty clean.  I think I will go this route with my own Texan that is sitting in my stash.  

• Like 1

Hi Russ!!!

Congratulations for this wonderful build!!!

I have been looking for this aircraft info in VNAF but seem a little obscure and had only the curiosity because looking a pic in the Squadron VNAF History book found a pic of a T-28's Line up and in far away the flight line have been watching some T-6 but  think it's a pity there are no pictures of this interesting aircraft there. Would you be so kind to tell where one can find some more info about this bird in VNAF service...quantity, uses, and other useful info??? Thank you very much in advance and thank you very much for sharing.

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Luis Alfonso said:

Hi Russ!!!

Congratulations for this wonderful build!!!

I have been looking for this aircraft info in VNAF but seem a little obscure and had only the curiosity because looking a pic in the Squadron VNAF History book found a pic of a T-28's Line up and in far away the flight line have been watching some T-6 but  think it's a pity there are no pictures of this interesting aircraft there. Would you be so kind to tell where one can find some more info about this bird in VNAF service...quantity, uses, and other useful info??? Thank you very much in advance and thank you very much for sharing.

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso.

Thanks Luis,

I used a small grainy photo of one in Robert Mikesh`s book `Flying Dragons` as my source of inspiration, although I think there`s a larger photo in Squadrons Texan `In Action` book. I found hardly anything on Google except some painted profiles.

From the book I have, it says that: 55 were sent to the VNAF from 1954 to 1956, used by the Air Training Center at Nha Trang until VNAF training was shipped back to the `States.

Now you know as much as me :smile:

If the photo you have has got T-28`s in it, I think the Texan would probably be a Thai Aircraft as T-28`s weren`t used until 1960.

Thanks again, glad you like it, Cheers Russ

Hi Russ!

Another beautiful Texan!  Will look nice next to your Royal Lao T-6. BTW: As Revell has re-released the old Heller kit in 1/72, I´m planning an armed Texan in Lao markings. Unfortunately I could only find very few pics in the internet and some infos in the Squadron Signal book about the war in Laos.

Cheers,

Mario

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mario said:

Hi Russ!

Another beautiful Texan!  Will look nice next to your Royal Lao T-6. BTW: As Revell has re-released the old Heller kit in 1/72, I´m planning an armed Texan in Lao markings. Unfortunately I could only find very few pics in the internet and some infos in the Squadron Signal book about the war in Laos.

Cheers,

Mario

Cheers Mario, have you tried the University of Texas at Dallas website ( utdallas, something or other ) they have lots of stuff on South East Asia, not looked for Thai stuff myself though.

Good luck, Cheers Russ

• Like 1