1/72 Focke Wulf Flitzer

A little Luftwaffe '46 for today, the very nice Revell 1/72 Focke Wulf Flitzer. Believe it or not this aircraft actually made it to the wooden mock up stage, but never progressed further. I've equipped mine with a pair of 21cm mortar tubes from a 262 and two X-4 wire guided air to air missiles as a bomber destroyer. The little tractor is from Academy and the base was made from scrap plastic and the base of an old trophy.

7JBZznR.jpg

DtnT0zo.jpg

f0aa3at.jpg

ViVc0MH.jpg

kZ2xlR3.jpg

sE0v73q.jpg

• Like 32

On 4/25/2018 at 7:45 PM, Andwil said:

I don't normally like Luft '46 subjects, but this looks really nice.  Forerunner/inspiration for the Vampire?

Andrew

No I don't think so. I'm pretty sure the Vampire was in development long before the Flitzer. The reason for many of these early jets had a similar design was due to the early get engines. They weren't powerful enough to have a long jet pipe, thus the short stubby fuselage with the twin booms became popular. The Japanese also had a similar idea with the Senden.

I remember somewhere in the deep dark recesses of my memory that the reason for "non-existent" or really "short" jet pipes in the first generation of jets had a lot to do with weight, heat and materials technology.

To overcome weight that ruined performance from the low thrust of the first generation of jet engines designers would use either multiple engines (Meteor, Me 262 etc) or make the structure lighter by eliminating unwanted structure (Ta 183, Vampire, Flitzer).

Either design method allowed designers to deal with the real problems caused by heat within a structure that could not be adequately heat shielded without a significant (at the time) weight penalty. Hot gas flow and freely burning 'puddles' of fuel flowing out of the early jet engines (due to incomplete combustion) could cause obvious radiant heat problems for an aircraft's structure.

Materials technology had not yet caught up either as the materials used in the early jet engines were relatively heavy and very prone to heat induced failures. This also translated to shortened or non-existent jet pipes to keep weight down and limit failures.

Both the mentioned design methods only required minimal jet pipes and so neatly overcame the problems of weight and heat.

As far as I know it has very little to do with a low powered jet engine the length of an attached jet pipe.

Hope this helps,

Regards 🍻

FAA 😎

• Like 3