Buccaneer S.2B Airfix 1/72

Tripio

Hello Gents,

As I had the opportunity to join the GB I am opening now the mandatory topic about my build.

Here are the things I would like to deal with:

20180409_182130.jpg

In the last week I really started my build with the most problematic part: rescribing.

I used the usual methodology: scribing - sanding - cleaning - Tamiya Extra Thin Cement

Parts are looking like this:

20180423_093237.jpg

20180423_093255.jpg

20180423_093322.jpg

I decided to use the kit's tail,resin part did not convince me at all, so I reworked a bit the plastic.

20180423_093414.jpg

Similar problem appeared with the nose cone,I did not decide yet,which one will be used. However size and shapewise I am thinking about the usage of the resin cone.

20180423_093527.jpg

Feel free to comment.

Regards,Laz

Edited by Tripio
  • Like 9

Looks much better than the one I have just built in the GB, I decided not to rescribe. A word of warning about the Airwaves PE. The exhaust PE did not fit inside my nozzles & the fan blades were so fiddly to cut each blade and fit the ring I gave up and made some homemade intake blanks. 

Good luck with the rest of the build dude. 

Edited by Hockeyboy76

Hello Gents,

Thank you for the encouragement and Hockeyboy76, thank you for the warning.

I have the Eduard set too, those parts look way better than the oldies, most probably I will use them.

As I am spending my holiday now so I have more time for the build. Today I was looking for seats between the spare resins. Finally I've found two similar ones.20180424_080737.jpg

After sanding I glued some PE from Eduard to the sides and gave them a basic black colour. Detail painting will come later.

20180424_143246.jpg

I spend huge effort on the intakes.

I decided to keep the kits reinforcement in the fuselage after eliminating the fanblades on it. It gives some rigidity, I hope with this I can eliminate some sanding...

After joining the fuselage together I will saw off original intakes.

20180424_102712.jpg

20180424_102735.jpg

20180424_133700.jpg

I started to build some cockpit and also took care with the airbrake components.

20180424_143157.jpg

20180424_143426.jpg

Regards,Laz

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Gents,

In the last few days I've spent my time on reading and researching the history of the Bucc. I've tried to look for details in connection with the air brake too to understand how it works and started to replicate some of the parts.

At the moment this is the status.

20180505_110109.jpg

I carry on with the sides and then some paint job will come.

Regards,Laz

Edited by Tripio
  • Like 5

Hello again,

Air brakes on the sides are made from kit's parts + Airwaves/Eduard PE + some plastic.

Unfortunately Airwaves parts are oversized/not up to date and there are also problems with the details I cannot fix...

So I used what I had:

20180506_001418.jpg

Still there are some parts I need to make.Anyway,up to now I enjoy the build.

Regards,Laz

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Gents,

Col.,thanks for the compliment.

Last week I spent my time with the main parts.Some subassemblies are also prepared to speed up a little bit...I just realized that only 3 weeks left until the deadline...

The Bucc is shaping up like this:

20180514_1621101baed.jpg

The nose is not that long,please consider that intakes are already cut out to fit the resin ones a little bit later on (tomorrow,perhaps).

Regards,Laz

• Like 5

Well, I've tried...

Laz Plasticworks proudly presents the Seethrough Buccaneer.

20180515_161750.jpg

Intakes are a little bit thick even after sanding.Dremel ate the sides of the fuselage,it was definitely not a good idea to use the resin bits.

Regards,Laz

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Well...

I was lucky that I did not cut the original cockpit as I planned at the beginning...

now it would be scrap.

I am working on the solution but probably it will take 1 or 2 days to recover.Thanks for the idea Col,it will be part of the solution.

Pictures later.

Regards,Laz

• Like 1

Hello Gents,

Here is the result of the surgery.

20180517_125858.jpg

20180517_125935.jpg

A closer look on the fit of the resin intakes...

Upper side is almost OK:

20180517_130013.jpg

Underside needs some more work:

20180517_130039.jpg

Generally speaking these intakes are recommended only for those who are interested in S/M activities.

Putty/sanding sessions are coming next.

Sick but I still enjoy this Airfix journey.

Regards,Laz

• Like 4

Hi Laz, one day I plan to do a similar job as I have similar resin and Airwaves parts. Are those the same resin intakes from the Neomega set?

Also do you use Tamiya extra thin cement on your scribed panel lines to clean them up?

Interesting to see how you progress with this as you don't see this done very often to the Airfix kit. If anything I have only seen people build the resin kits in 1/72

It looks daunting and needs some dedication & maybe a stiff drink before you start.

A bit like contemplating a mountain climb ?

Look forward to more progress pics!

Martin

Hello guys,

Martin,

These are the Heritage intakes.

I am always making the rework on the scribing with Tamiya ETC or with Mr Cement S,both are good stuff.

Stiff drink?Hmmm...next time I will make a trial.

Craig,

Thank you for the nice words,I am trying to make a good job on this beautiful A/C.The more I learn about her the more I fall in love.

Regards,Laz

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Gents,

Life got in the way a bit but hopefully latest tomorrow night painting will be done.

Since the last update I managed to finish the followings.

Eduard PE parts are on for the tail:

20180529_130908_RichtoneHDR.jpg

Exhaust PE from Eduard is on plus scratched wing root:

20180529_130947_RichtoneHDR.jpg

Plate in front of the intake is on,some small sanding is needed,cooling intake is upgraded:

20180529_131013_RichtoneHDR.jpg

Detailed main wheel wells:

20180529_131038_RichtoneHDR.jpg

Doors:

20180529_131441_RichtoneHDR.jpg

Air brakes are detailed and ready to insert:

20180529_131900_RichtoneHDR.jpg

Fuel tank and burner cans:

20180529_132015_RichtoneHDR.jpg

Flaps are prepared to install in deployed position:

20180529_132116_RichtoneHDR.jpg

Tonight I carry on with PE parts and nose wheel well detailing and with preparation of other parts for painting.

Will be though to achieve the deadline...

Regards,Laz

• Like 5

Hello Gents,

Thank you Craig,I think I did the achievable maximum with my skills,I really enjoyed.

After the black comedy of yesterday I need to confess that I will not be ready with the A/C until Sunday night.

Yesterday I spent the bench time with repair jobs instead of painting.First I tried to put in place the dashboards.Front panel was too wide so I shortened the sides and sanded them smoothly until they were properly sized.Then the self adhesive PE parts were steadily coming off from the surface in the cockpits,so all of them were removed,cleaned and re-glued with CA.

When I finished I put the ejection seats in place and then it turned out that the space is not enough because of the control stick connected to the dashboard is too long in the front cockpit.That part was glued with CA minutes before...So I removed the control stick,cut it and tried to glue it again.I think the first dozen of trials were not succesfull.Afterall I put the seats in place...

I didn't count how many times I've tried but it took some hours to finish with this:

20180602_004055_RichtoneHDR.jpg

20180602_004205_RichtoneHDR.jpg

No wash is applied yet,slight repairs are still needed.

A/C is looking like this:

20180602_004800_RichtoneHDR.jpg

Overall it is looking like a Bucc.

Regards,Laz

• Like 2