FIAT G.91 R/1 1/32nd DAYGLO MODELS

Piero

Hello Guys,

here is my new project for the next few months, a FIAT G.91 R/1 in charge with the A.M.I. (Aeronautica Militare Italiana) from the '60s to the '90s.

The model is a limited edition resin kit by DAYGLO MODELS.

sdr

Main parts are in grey resin, very well casted, bubble-free.

cof

Also included in the box are metal undercarriages, pitot tube, a small PE sheet and a decal sheet for the German G.91 R/3 only... 

Not a kit for absolute beginners...

Instruction sheet is big and clear printed but you have to take attention with all the alternative parts you can you based on the version you want: pre-serie, PAN, G.91 R/1, G.91 R/3... 

cof

So, you need a good references source to look at. The books are my main source for the Gina.

cof

Starting with the main iternal parts as cockpit tube and undercarriage bays.

cof

I need some tools for remove the parts from the resin blocks and fleshing.

cof

The task doesn't required too much effort because the resin is very well casted and easy to work with.

cof

The interior parts are primed with flat black... 

cof

CIAO!

Piero

• Like 13

Fantastic project, such a beautiful aeroplane. I find it hard to understand why we haven’t got an up to date mainstream model of the Gina. I’ll follow along if you don’t mind, I might even be tempted to get one if still available. :smile:

• Like 1

Hello my friends,

a little progress on the Gina.

Interior Green has been sprayed on the undercarriage bay and speed brake vanes.

Medium Grey has been sprayed on the cockpit tube and instrument panel.

cof

Some hydraulic tubes has been added to the vane.

Than a cote of clear gloss has been sprayed before a dark wash using Mig's specific products.

cof

Next, I worked on the wing pylons and external fuel tanks. Very nice parts...

cof

Gunze's RAF Dark Green and Tamiya's Flat Aluminium has been used for this task.

cof

CIAO!

Piero

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, coneheadff said:

Great progress Piero!!!

Just one thing...we have several Ginas here in Berlin at the Luftwaffen museum and on all aircrafts the wheel and speed brake wells are grey.

Alex

Hi Alex,

many thanks!

I know about the different color of the undercarriage bay and speed brake wells.

In fact, these part on the early Gina with AMI, as the pre-serie R and R/1 were aluminium, than they were proctected with a layer of zinch chromate Interior Green.

And the German G.91 R/3 and T/3 has the Grey applied on the same parts. Also the color of the wing pylons is different as the shape of the external fuel tanks.

CIAO!

Piero 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

some progress on my Gina.

External fuel tanks and wing's pylons are done.

I've used Tamiya XF62 and Gunze H330 for the Dark Green and Tamiya XF16 for the Aluminum.

The finsh is semi-matt.

cof

cof

At this stage I've finished the main undercarriage bays, painted with Tamiya XF58 for the Interior Green. Some tubes and pipes were added too and painted with Vallejo.

cof

Cockpit tube and instrument panel are finished. The collimator, as other small details as switchs and throttle, will be added later after the main parts will be fitted inside the fuselage.

cof

cof

Some specific parts for the Italian G.91 R/1 are the panels that cover the guns and the one at the back of the camera's nose cone.

cof

cof

These resin parts are easy to work with but a little attention needs to be carried on to fit the panels with the fuselage without losing all the the small details around.

cof

CIAO!

Piero

• Like 8

Looking great Piero!!!

One question...Do you have any pictures of the wall behind the ejection seat. I couldn't find any pictures of that area and couldn't take any photos at the museum as the canopies are in a bad condition and you can't really see through.

Alex

• 2 weeks later...

Hello my friends,

a little update on my Gina.

cof

Some details has been added inside the exhaust tube.

cof

The turbine has been corrected in shape and details.

cof

Now the internal parts are ready to be fitted inside the fuselage.

A lot of dry fitting is a must here... especially for the cockpit and jet intake areas.

cof

CIAO!

Piero

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, coneheadff said:

Looking good Piero!

Have you seen the thickness of the fuselage where the landing gear bays attach to? It's a couple mm thick.

Hi Alex,

thank you very much!!!

Yes, I've noted the thickness of the fuselade around the bays... it's a plus for the strenght of the kit but a minus for the level of detail... but I can live with this.

I've already closed the fuselage and started with the filling&sanding stage... tomorrow I'll show you the result...argh!

CIAO!

Piero

9 minutes ago, Piero said:

... it's a plus for the strenght of the kit but a minus for the level of detail... but I can live with this

Exactly what I thought 😉

Looking forward to see the fuselage closed

Alex

Hello guys,

here is the fuselage glued with a lot of CA acting also as putty.

cof

cof

After a good session of sanding some bubbles came up especially under the rear section of the fuselage.

cof

cof

A resin part that really disapponted me was the nose... the part doesn't match with the front section of the fuselage.

cof

cof

dav

Again, a good session of sanding and the nose profile is flushed with the fuselage.

cof

cof

cof

Now its' time to rescribe all the lost panel lines and add some details all around the fuselage.

CIAO!

Piero

Edited by Piero
  • Like 5

Hello my friends,

thanks you for your comments on my Gina!

A big step forward was made last days with the wings glued to the fuselage.

cof

And as you can see there was a needs of a good amount of putty here and there... especially to fill the micro-bubbles-holes... argh!

cof

After that also the tail planes were glued to the fuselage.

cof

cof

cof

Time to check the filling & scribing job...

cof

cof

cof

cof

Taking a break from the filling & sanding task... I spent some time to search a good match for the Dark Green... here a palette to compare the FS34079 of Tamiya and Gunze acrylic paints... mumble mumble...

cof

After that mess of colors I need a real break... wagyu steak...slurp!!!

mde

CIAO!

Piero

• Like 5