1/48 - McDonnell Douglas A-12 Avenger II by Modelcollect Hobby - 3D renders+box art+decals+sprues - release in 2024

Homebee

3 hours ago, exdraken said:

Wonder what really was the problem for not putting it into production! The real thing I mean....

Where to put sqaudron colors like some crossbones, skulls or cats????

On the outer wings bottom??

Probably on the doors like the B-2.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Probably on the doors like the B-2.

If I recall, both the German and Italian Tornado sported a large black panther painted on the top surfaces of the aircraft. Maybe paint squadron insignia on the top/bottom surfaces? Plenty of space! Something like a Romulan bird of prey on the undersides would be awfully smart!🤔

Allan

• Like 3

On 10/12/2018 at 6:23 PM, exdraken said:

Wonder what really was the problem for not putting it into production! The real thing I mean....

From memory the lawsuits over the whole debacle only finished a few years ago - Wikipedia says 2014! Dick Cheney is the one who cancelled it, the Wiki page is worth a read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_Douglas_A-12_Avenger_II

Edited by k5054nz
  • Like 1

On 10/12/2018 at 1:23 AM, exdraken said:

Money.  A-12 was intended to be an acquisition reform, with the development done on a firm, fixed price.  The McDonnell-Douglas/GD team were running a year (or more) behind schedule, a billion dollars over cost, and they and the program management had just told SECDEF Cheney they were on cost and schedule.

My personal opinion is that Cheney was provided bad legal advice.  He tried to cancel for cause, but the vendors were not yet technically in breach of contract.  And it went through a 20-year series of lawsuits...by the end of which, the value of the money in question had been reduced to a handful of Super Hornets (Boeing having inherited MDD's side of the lawsuit) and some submarine construction credits (from GD's side).

One of the other problems was that U.S. acquisition laws of the period did not allow cost as an independent variable.  The Government could not go to the contractors and say, "What can you give us for $3 billion in RDT&E costs?"

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Homebee said:

New boxing/variant - ref. 

Source: https://www.facebook.com/Modelcollect/posts/1154431374711961

V.P.

😃I have got to get me some of these! Doubtless the nay sayers will have a field day bewailing the "waste of resources on fictional tosh" (or words to that effect) but, I love this type of model. 

Allan

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

😃I have got to get me some of these! Doubtless the nay sayers will have a field day bewailing the "waste of resources on fictional tosh" (or words to that effect) but, I love this type of model. 

Allan

I'm one of them. Why waste CAD talent on fictitious cr@pski when we could have something real like a Star Wars X-wing 😜

Tony 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

• 2 weeks later...

I love this company!! Several very tasty items on their Face Book page for forthcoming projects.. They'll definitely be getting a lot of my money in future - particularly the Fist of War vehicles. I don't have any problem with subjects like the A-12 or, the fictitious subjects. They're as valid a choice as any Sci Fi subject and, hardly anybody seems to complain about THEM!

Allan:whistle:

On 11/9/2018 at 8:47 AM, tony.t said:

I'm one of them. Why waste CAD talent on fictitious cr@pski when we could have something real like a Star Wars X-wing 😜

Edited by B.sin
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Since the other thread is locked down, I guess I have to point it out here.  The A-12 Oxcart and A-12 Avenger are not the same aeroplane, so this thread really isn't applicable to a (potential) family of SR-71-related kits.

Yeah, it's entirely possible that someone heard Modelcollect were doing an A-12 (Avenger) and started a Scalemates page for an A-12 (Oxcart) by mistake, but it's just as likely that Modelcollect are, in fact, doing both subjects.  Either way, clearly there is a rumour that Modelcollect are tooling an A-12 Oxcart, and it seems pretty premature to lock the other thread down.

• 2 months later...

Hi!

Latest info from Modelcollect when asked about the status of this project :

« dear sir
 sorry for the trouble, the project is delayed.
best regards
jiangwei Li  

modelcollect »

1 hour ago, Air one said:

Hi!

Latest info from Modelcollect when asked about the status of this project :

« dear sir
 sorry for the trouble, the project is delayed.
best regards
jiangwei Li  

modelcollect »

Now, there's a surprise!😕

Allan

• 5 months later...

This is one I've been looking forward to for a long time. I'm anxious to see how this develops. Yes, it's a big model and I probably won't buy and build more than one. But it's definitely different and should stand out in a collection.

3 hours ago, Violet Club said:

I hope they will scale down it in 1/72 scale !

For your sake and that of many other 1/72 scalers, I hope so too. With a 10+" wing span, it'd be a pretty good sized model in that scale.

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - McDonnell Douglas A-12 Avenger II by Modelcollect Hobby - 3D renders+box art - release in 2021