Tamiya 1/350 king george v

Hi all I was given this and the Bismark for a Christmas pressie from my daughter and son I bought what i thought was the pe for this kit (which cost more than the kit and I now discover is still not the full pe for it, i will buy the rest but just have to wait a bit) so I was thinking I quite like the pics by Eduard and pontos (others are availiable) of the pe on the finished ship with no paint on it and was thinking maybe I would do that with just a slight difference being I would weather the pe but leave it unpainted. What do you all think, I quite like the pe showing I think it adds interest(i know it's not very accurate but let's face it I'm pretty rubbish with this modelling lark and I very seldom build as per the instructions anyway.
So here is my start on this build
25klc20.jpg
a1shz9.jpg
wrnla0.jpg
2afn0hv.jpg
Made a start on the decking (Will be using pastels for the decking this is just the base coat.
fvjmdy.jpg 
ifrjus.jpg

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, kpnuts said:

I would weather the pe but leave it unpainted.

Hi kpnuts,

The bare brass does have a certain something.

Not sure the PE would still look like PE with weathering though.

Or maybe if it were just aged/tarnished.

36 minutes ago, kpnuts said:

I'm pretty rubbish with this modelling lark

I had a look at some of your rubbish.

Looks like very high quality rubbish to me. ;)

Go for it mate, will follow.

Andy.

Hi Kp,

I personally think that the p.e. can look great unpainted, like it does on the pontos site for example. I also have seen quite a lot of your work and I don't think it is rubbish at all. The main objective has to be what you get from building and not to be too swayed by what others think.

Regards

Richard

Thanks richard and andy for the kind words.

Well im a bit annoyed with eduard.
I started putting the pe portholes on and got 10 done and thought hang on theres something wrong here ( they give you 50 pe portholes) counted down one side theres 63 (it does say optional parts) optional or not they should at least supply enough for the job. And now im thinking about it what about all the pprtholes on the super structure. 
When i built the warspite i had loads of parts left on tge sprue that wernt mentioned anywhere in tge instructions ive since discovered they were ment to be portholes they look a bit different to the ones eduard supply but maybe i will use them.
I managed to get the portholes off without damaging the paintwork too much. As i say maybe i will try the warspite ones will have a count up and see if theres enough.

• Like 1

Hi all well I've done the decking and weathered the hull.

I'm surprised how much bigger this is than the warspite she also quite a bit wider.

2h4yjyc.jpg

2gvtwdc.jpg

33aapuw.jpg

2l8gspu.jpg

212d5bn.jpg

• Like 4

There is a builders model of one of this class that was once on display in the Glasgow Transport museum many years ago. Apart from being at 1/48 scale the most striking thing about the model is that the railings and other items made out of brass were unpainted. It is a stunning model which is enhanced by not painting the detail.

Hi all well the rest of the eduard pe has arrived now I have to cut off all the little boxes I just spent ages painting on the decks also the blast shields and all the doors off all the superstructure 

Hi all well I've added a miniscule amount of the huge amount of pe to this and I've realised someone made a big mistake how do you open these doors.

fc1pp3.jpg

mhxf8l.jpg

Encase you can't see from the pics there is a box about 1 mill in font of a 3 mill door 

t8m0iq.jpg

258xbus.jpg

• Like 3

Well it's been a long time since I put a ship on a stand (usually I have them in a dio of some sort) I think the last one I put on a stand was the La Royale de France.
I'm not sure I like the supplied stand maybe I will put her in a dry dock.
2cnjx53.jpg
hsnhpc.jpg
2mg01s8.jpg
2rgclrt.jpg

• Like 3

Hi all well this will probably be my last update before we get back from our hols we will be packing tomorrow night.
Got to say I'm really looking forward to a week in the sun doing nothing at all with a drink in my hand and my every whim catered for.
fnvjsx.jpg
6r832v.jpg
2uz4ivo.jpg
350l85c.jpg
6ofqsl.jpg
I'm thinking of drilling out all the portholes (I say thinking as there are a lot of them)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all the pe really does make a big difference, I'm still not great at it but even with my ham fisted efforts I still think it looks better (of course if I painted it it would help to hide my errors) I still like the improvements though.
The first 2 pics are how the parts would be oob that is the completed part.
snorau.jpg
2bpe88.jpg
And this is with the added pe
s2utjo.jpg
21dizr6.jpg
And here it is in place
2zzucfn.jpg
5agniw.jpg
2ik37ty.jpg
That part is only 10mm so is really small.

• Like 5

On 4/22/2018 at 5:25 PM, kpnuts said:

Hi all I was given this and the Bismark for a Christmas pressie from my daughter and son I bought what i thought was the pe for this kit (which cost more than the kit and I now discover is still not the full pe for it, i will buy the rest but just have to wait a bit) so I was thinking I quite like the pics by Eduard and pontos (others are availiable) of the pe on the finished ship with no paint on it and was thinking maybe I would do that with just a slight difference being I would weather the pe but leave it unpainted. What do you all think, I quite like the pe showing I think it adds interest(i know it's not very accurate but let's face it I'm pretty rubbish with this modelling lark and I very seldom build as per the instructions anyway.
So here is my start on this build
25klc20.jpg
a1shz9.jpg
wrnla0.jpg
2afn0hv.jpg
Made a start on the decking (Will be using pastels for the decking this is just the base coat.
fvjmdy.jpg 
ifrjus.jpg

Could you post links to your other builds. It would be great to look at them too.

I haven't started the Bismark if that's what you mean if you want me to post links to my other builds there would be hundreds I could post links of ones I think are ok that would reduce it to a lot less.

Hi all well to say I'm disappointed with eduard pe is an understatement I've removed the plastic from the deck that the eduard instructions tell you to so how do I put the box when folded in the first two pics over the larger box.

1zelgcm.jpg

14luj2h.jpg

There are several more folded boxes so I assume I will have the same problem with them, that is problem one with the eduard set number two the instructions show 2 part 30 and there are indeed two boxes on the deck which need those parts here is what eduard supply

2113yp0.jpg

As you can see only 1 part 30 and of course as I've already mentioned earlier in the build there are no where near enough scuttles supplied.

Number 3 their numbering on the frets has no logic at all number 84 being next to number 172 171 being next to 80 takes longer to find the part than it takes to atattch it.

Number 4 the folding instructions are pretty much non existent. 

I've not had a lot of experience with pe but considering eduard are up there with the priceyest. I have to say it's the worst I've used so far. I think I will stick with mk1 and pontos from now on.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, well I seem to have so little time for modelling these days, i would have done double this in a day a yr ago, it's annoying how little time I get for modelling these days.

2llo7jt.jpg

29ep1xv.jpg

5ppx5k.jpg

143f669.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all loads still to add to this part, slow going but I do feel I'm getting there

2urtj52.jpg

bdl4rr.jpg

2vlo65l.jpg

dpblsj.jpg

I will admit due to my abysmally poor modelling skills I've missed some pe out, as a bit of fun can you spot out the bits I've missed out.

I think PE is pretty much beyond my ability now so I can't see me buying any more.

• Like 2