Best way to make a Spitfire VI in 1/72

Killingholme

Hi all,

Just wondering what the Britmodeller brain thinks would be the best way to approach a detailed 1/72 model of a Spitfire MK.VI?

My plan is to use the

1)KP Vb as a base kit

2) add extended wing tips and a Mk.IX prop from spares box

3) fit a basic cockpit pressure bulkhead from plasticard

4) fill the pilot's access hatch whilst discretely ignoring the fixed-down canopy differences.

If I go down the KP route, will I need their boxing that includes the internal armoured windscreen, or the earlier external armoured?

Sound about right?

Will

Edited by Killingholme

The plan sounds good to me. I should add the pressurisation system intake on the right side of the engine cowling.

If you want to make things easier, you could buy a Smer Spitfire VI and rob the wingtips, prop, canopy and decals from that. The rest of the kit is bad but the Mk.VI specific parts are acceptable and the decals are usually pretty good. It's a kit that can be found for a fiver or less and will save you searching in the spares box.

Alternatively the older AZ short run kits also included parts for the Mk.VI and they issued a specific box for this variant.

• Like 1

Apart from separate exhausts and cockpit compressor intake your plan sounds fine to me. Perhaps Seafire III kit would be even better choice as four blade propeller and six stub exhausts would already come with a kit? Of course it would have to be basically Spit V kit with Seafire parts added, like SH Seafire III in 1/48, and I do not know if something like that is available in 1/72.

I have Smer kit, but I have mixed feelings about it. Propeller, spinner and air intake are fine, but wingtips are too thin. Still, nothing that some putty and a brief sanding session could not solve. Cheers

Jure

P.S.: Forget about separate exhausts, my mistake. Most of Spitfires Mk.VI had Mk.V type exhausts.

Edited by Jure Miljevic
P.S. added
  • Like 1

There many ways, but I'd go with Giorgio's suggestion and try to source an older tool AZ Vb* as all boxings included the same plastic.  All the mk VI bits are in the kit - extended wingtips, the pressurisation intake is moulded on the starboard fuselage half and you get the four blade prop.  Only thing you'll have to scratch is the pressure bulkhead aft of the cockpit, but the one in the Airfix PR19 is a dead ringer and an ideal template.

Internal armour screen.

*The older AZ boxings are not too hard to find, but not that easy either.  There are two mk VIs on ebay, both in Germany and the same price but the postage to the UK is extortionate.

One alternate route would be the Brengun Spitfire Vb Floatplane.  Use the Vb for a VI and the floats to convert an Airfix IX into a floatplane.  No waste and if you find one of the Airfix IXs in the desert boxing with the Cartograph decals, it should give you a spare canopy.  

Alternatively, PM me your address.  I'm sure I have the relevant bits in me vast collection of Spitfire spares.  

Jure, try finding a Sword Seafire in the UK these days!  Not easy when you try hunting them down and they command stupid money on ebay.

Edited by The Wooksta!
  • Thanks 1

I think it depends on the aircraft as to which screen it has, because I've just found a pair of photos in the Aircam on the Merlin Spitfires of two different aircraft with the internal armour glass.  AB534 is one, supposedly with 616 Sqn but no codes and t'other being ON-H of 124 Sqn (serial obscured).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1