I intended this one  for a future upload ,together with my sopwith strutter "1/2" ,but now  that strutter was accidently uploaded earlier this sunday. here is one of the two bi-planes ,LVA =dutch airforce ,when it started in WWI  , I have build this year .it is pfalz III ,the kit was produced by eastern models,and I enjoyed building it very much!  as always it take some before I can set myself to process of rigging ,thart has still to come for this pfalz .but it will be done ,I am much to happy with it and think the plane deserves it .  the dutch painted the orange circles over the german mltese crosses without first removing them . it was my intention,on purpose ,it was not one of my mistakes! ML9iHMf.jpg  and  T9gnyO0.jpg   and  AzroxKq.jpg   and  S5igCWx.jpg   this upload is finished now too ,and I shall now take a well deserved [I suppose] rest re;oading the energy level for a next upload .uploading is a procedure that makes me very tired always .......I'll be back  ,deo volente.. 

• Like 5

I think that I used oil paint fropm a tube for this one. I discovered this may work out very nicely with the bright colours that were so often used on WWI  aircraft . I tried that for the first time after on youitube I saw someone using oilpaint from those tubes for WWII monoplanes too ,on an ordinary spitfire I believe,       --https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BitmaECqO30----       when I saw that clip I had to think of the oil paints I found with the stuff my mother had left after she died.I begin to spot more and more opportunities where it can be used.I fell especially in love with the colour vermillion .some months ago I posted here some pictures of my siemens-schuckert II [and not a pfalz iii  Llike I said in my innocence!] done with the vermillion. the lozenge is from decals ,I have some sheets from different producers.the brown for the struts is comes from from a very old humbrol gloss tin,50 years old I guess, and rust comes vwery often but not always from  a mig/ak acrylic rust paint set.I have all kind of brushes ,made from marter-hair up to very cheap synthetic brushes .marter brushes and fothouse artists produced round +block shaped and more I bought in a shop for art products - they are not really cheap- and the cheap ones at the action shops line [in holland] ,a kind of wallmart but not that big ,I mean ,it is very big shop with a lot of things but not wall market-ish big! for those smal;lsized airplanes I use very small ,I mean really small brushes ,but I work ,or try to work also with an airbrush.  the bigger than really small or tiny planes -like those bi-plane fighters- were done mostly with an airbrush ,a sparmax airbrush  ,not expensive ,maybe later I'll buy a more expensive one.I use humbrol enamels and acrylics ,and lately I tried a lacquer type of paint from hataka -the polish colours set- and I am really enthousiastic about them. in acrylic my favorite paint is without any doubt the lifecolor line ! for me it is without equal!   https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235032741-172-pfalz-eastern-express/&tab=comments#comment-2932132

Edited by Emily-Emma silverscreen
some extra information about used paints

bytheway ,the siemens schuckert was not from eastern models I see only now but from toko.the difference is non-existent ,same molds ,different name only .very cheap to buy in russian [never mind the boycot by eu and rest of the world!] ,ukrainian or lithuanian shops on ebay .very reasonable postage too ,but have patience ,they may need some time before they arrive  at your place. I bought many kits overthere and I never had even a single case for complaining!

Yes.  I have been building Eastern Express and TOKO kits for many years.  

I think that if you take more care with your paints and brushes you will achieve more realistic results with your models.  Try using modelling paint instead of oil paints, for instance.  They are made for the subject.

Good luck!

dear mr john masters,I am little confused now by the remarks you made  . so I cannot do much with your advice  yet ,unfortunately.at first I thought you were talking of the red pfalz ,but later I started to see other possible connections and finally I thought maybe he is talking about the dornier?because   I can understand very well that someone thinks about  ways how to get more realistic results when he sees that plane the way I have made it  but more realistic in what sense?in the choice of the colours? or do you mean technical improvements in applying the paints?about the last subject ,there is not much to discuss ,because I am very much aware that there still a kingdom to conquer for me in improving my brush painting/airbrushing skills. washes and weathering are still of secondary importance to me .this dornier was painted using an airbrush with humbrol/white ensign enamel paints,humbrol matt sand ,humbrol dark green and white ensign dutch chocolate/dark earth/dark brown ,whatever they call it. I could imagine if some one thinks the colours look "un-natural ,and I could agree with them immediately ,without having any further knowledge,but they are exactly what I tried to get .I never had seen an example of those balkan camo before and that scheme ,those colours were exactly whiat was so appealing to me. I talked about oil paints I use ,but that is only very recently ,and the results made me quite happy, to be honest.but untill now I used them on three ,maybe four bi-planes ,tiny bi-planes in bright colours like purple ,yellow ,you can imagine some other possibilities.I am not that fond of acrylics ,I have quite a lot of those,they are lovely and I use them quite often too,but it is not easiest  paint for me to use. now you know more of what I did and do, maybe you can give me some advice that could be put in practice.by me. please keep it simple ,and concrete ,with as many examples as you can come up with,I would be very happy to try to put things in practice .I  tried to find some of your work ,and is that italian front bristol a plane that you made?or srtill working on? I think that is beautiful ,the way how you build and paint such a "simple" thing [ha-ha ,simple???]like an engine.I am sure you could show me "tricks","secrets",skills ,and it was when I saw some years ago on the internet  other examples of modelling  like  you made/make  here , that inspired me to pick up again a hobby I had in the 1960-ies when was a teenager and I just had discovered the airfix kits. so ,thank you for all you said+intended to say,good luck with yopur bristol ,and if you can spare some time for giving me some advice ,,it's welcome! and you can be certain that I will experiment with it!

I find sometimes that if I brush thinner layers of paint, let them dry, and then apply another layer of the same colour it creates a more realistic effect.  There are also some wonderful websites that help me with accurate colour I need to use.  One of them is Wings Palette

http://wp.scn.ru/en/links

It is easy to pick the era of the aircraft, the type of aircraft and then look at the pictures.  Sometimes there is additional information too.  I use it a lot.

I am still working on the Bristol.

Happy modelling!

Edited by John D.C. Masters