1/350 HMS Dreadnought in dry dock at Portsmouth

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 8:06 PM, beefy66 said:

Cracking build Nick it just shouts out show winner to me  :yes:

beefy

Cheers Beefy

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 8:06 PM, Kris B said:

Why I am not seeing it in the armour WIP, he? I don't want mess here, open it please in the right place. See you in the armour. 

Sorry Kris - noted mate null

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 8:19 PM, Bugle07 said:

Outstanding work! Was a pleasure to watch this come together!

:worthy:

Geoff

Thanks Geoff, glad you enjoyed the WIP

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 3:29 PM, whitestar12chris said:

Just to repeat what others have said, WOW cracking job.

All the best Chris

Cheers Chris

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 4:42 PM, phoscar said:

Hello,
It's superb, it's magisterial. A source of inspiration.
Congratulations.
Mark

Too kind Mark, but thank you

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 5:58 PM, Mike W said:

Very imaginative way of displaying a superbly finished model.

Mike

Cheers Mike

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 7:30 PM, Chewitt said:

Fantastic ,superb work,love to see it in the flesh.     😎

Thanks Chewitt, I've never shown a model at a show, need to work out how to do it!

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 10:21 PM, Clogged said:

Love the result. Brilliantly executed. Well done with the rigging, I would think the most challenging part!

Thanks Clogged. The rigging was great fun to do with Uschi line, but I must admit I nearly gave up on the cage aerials null

Just strayed over from the aircraft area for a quick look at some floaty things and - Wow!!  what a sensational model, and a really imaginative way of displaying a full hull model ship.

Andrew

• Thanks 1

On 4/29/2018 at 10:37 AM, Andwil said:

Just strayed over from the aircraft area for a quick look at some floaty things and - Wow!!  what a sensational model, and a really imaginative way of displaying a full hull model ship.

Andrew

Thanks Andrew, I need to look at flying stuff more often!

On 4/29/2018 at 5:54 PM, Hewy said:

Brilliantly executed, very inspiring , well done nick

Glynn 

Cheers Glynn, much appreciated

• 2 weeks later...

Every time I walk past 15 dock (and 14 dock, I now imagine Dreadnoughts in there. Though it is very different from then, the extension is still very much a part of the dock. Also, I showed your pics to some modern Navy guys and they were impressed too.

Thank you for teaching me a bit more about the environment I work in.

• Thanks 1

Superb diorama work and just what all the other posters have said with bells on.  Magnificent.

One of the best and most enjoyable models to look at that I have seen in a long time

• Thanks 1

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 6:10 PM, Dave Swindell said:

That turned out well Nick!

:thumbsup:

Thanks Dave, and thanks again for the guidance on the blocks

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 9:30 AM, seadog said:

Superb work!

Cheers Seadog

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:01 AM, stevehnz said:

A wonderful piece of ship modelling & diorama building made into one, quite superb. The dock reminds me of the Simonstown one in RSA, the only place I've seen one of these.

Steve.

Thanks Steve

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:55 AM, AndyPG said:

Perfection, well done.

I could look at that for hours.

Andy.

Thank you Andy

23 hours ago, Rhino said:

Every time I walk past 15 dock (and 14 dock, I now imagine Dreadnoughts in there. Though it is very different from then, the extension is still very much a part of the dock. Also, I showed your pics to some modern Navy guys and they were impressed too.

Thank you for teaching me a bit more about the environment I work in.

Thanks fro the feedback Rhino, great to know it looks something like the real thing.

22 hours ago, F-32 said:

An absolutely magnificent piece of work

Cheers mate

22 hours ago, JohnT said:

Superb diorama work and just what all the other posters have said with bells on.  Magnificent.

One of the best and most enjoyable models to look at that I have seen in a long time

Thank you John

outstanding build. truly stunning finish.

My office is between 14 & 15 dock in HMNB Portsmouth and we have a great picture od Dreadnought fitting out with an identical picture (same angle etc) takne of WESTMINSTER refitting there a couple of years ago. Currently my ship, DAUNTLESS, is sitting exactly where you have your model of Dreadnought sitting - I'll try & get some phots from the same angles you have taken of your model and post on a reply to your thread in the next couple of days. A type 45 is almost the same length as Dreadnought (but clearly not armoured) so a comparison should be easy to see. 

PM inbound!

• Thanks 1

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 9:27 AM, robgizlu said:

My absolute favourite model for this year.  Superb in every aspect - the detail is astonishing and the figures really top it off

Congratulations :thumbsup:

Rob

Thanks Rob, really kind of you!

18 hours ago, FIGHTS ON said:

outstanding build. truly stunning finish.

My office is between 14 & 15 dock in HMNB Portsmouth and we have a great picture od Dreadnought fitting out with an identical picture (same angle etc) takne of WESTMINSTER refitting there a couple of years ago. Currently my ship, DAUNTLESS, is sitting exactly where you have your model of Dreadnought sitting - I'll try & get some phots from the same angles you have taken of your model and post on a reply to your thread in the next couple of days. A type 45 is almost the same length as Dreadnought (but clearly not armoured) so a comparison should be easy to see. 

PM inbound!

Thank you for the comments, and for the PM, much appreciated. Pics of Dauntless would be great for comparison. I based the drawing and then the dry dock model itself on a Google Maps pic of a type 45 in dock 15, used the length of the type 45 to scale everything else. It's interesting that a modern destroyer (although I read somewhere that type 45s could be considered cruiser size) is not far off the size of a dreadnought battleship!

Cheers

Nick   

4 hours ago, Nick Charnock said:

Thanks Rob, really kind of you!

Thank you for the comments, and for the PM, much appreciated. Pics of Dauntless would be great for comparison. I based the drawing and then the dry dock model itself on a Google Maps pic of a type 45 in dock 15, used the length of the type 45 to scale everything else. It's interesting that a modern destroyer (although I read somewhere that type 45s could be considered cruiser size) is not far off the size of a dreadnought battleship!

Cheers

Nick   

Pictures to follow (borrowed ny Buffer's phone to take them) and gave some thought to your scale. I think you nailed it. Whenever I am hosting visitors (from Sea Cadets to 2*star seniors!) I always use the Dreadnought as a comparison, because she was built 101 years before DARING. 

Type 45: 152 metres length

Dreadnought: 160 metres

Both were hugely revolutionary, but many do not realise that this innovative new technology was also extended to their propulsion. Dreadnought was the 1st large ship to use Steam Turbines (following development from Parson's experiment), 28 Babcock boilers gave a total of 23,000 shaft horsepower - unheard of in 1906! Type 45 is the RN's first "all electric" ship - by using a combination of Gas Turbines & Diesel generators to "create" the High Voltage, she can produce 28,000 shaft horsepower thru' each of her 2 electric motors. (although, as our delightful UK press keeps reminding us, not without snags! - but soon to be fixed, one ship at a time in Birkenhead with 3 new diesels being inserted to replace the current 2 DGs. 

From a historical perspective, I have read an interesting theory that the Pompey Docks, (14 & 15 built around 1890), considered "huge" at the time of building, were in fact too narrow for the Battleships built during the Dreadnought era. As a consequence the width of these docks dictated the maximum width available for BB designs and "suggests" that some of the disastrous outcomes at Jutland were a direct result. Whereas Germany, who built her dry docks 10 years later than Portsmouth, built theirs wider, = more stable and more armour.  I personally subscribe to the poor ammunition handling practices of the RN in 1916 AND ships designed to have a global reach (food, accom for months) rather than a German Fleet built for short 3 day cruises out into the North Sea.

Finally, for those living in the Portsmouth area, 14 docis currently being "cleaned" up in preparation for future Type 26/45 refits. Part of the work is digging deeper around the area where the sonar domes will sit and the cutting into stone, laid by the Victorians all taken from that eyesore that is the big cutting in the side of Portsdown hill. 

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 6:57 PM, FIGHTS ON said:

Pictures to follow (borrowed ny Buffer's phone to take them) and gave some thought to your scale. I think you nailed it. Whenever I am hosting visitors (from Sea Cadets to 2*star seniors!) I always use the Dreadnought as a comparison, because she was built 101 years before DARING. 

Type 45: 152 metres length

Dreadnought: 160 metres

Both were hugely revolutionary, but many do not realise that this innovative new technology was also extended to their propulsion. Dreadnought was the 1st large ship to use Steam Turbines (following development from Parson's experiment), 28 Babcock boilers gave a total of 23,000 shaft horsepower - unheard of in 1906! Type 45 is the RN's first "all electric" ship - by using a combination of Gas Turbines & Diesel generators to "create" the High Voltage, she can produce 28,000 shaft horsepower thru' each of her 2 electric motors. (although, as our delightful UK press keeps reminding us, not without snags! - but soon to be fixed, one ship at a time in Birkenhead with 3 new diesels being inserted to replace the current 2 DGs. 

From a historical perspective, I have read an interesting theory that the Pompey Docks, (14 & 15 built around 1890), considered "huge" at the time of building, were in fact too narrow for the Battleships built during the Dreadnought era. As a consequence the width of these docks dictated the maximum width available for BB designs and "suggests" that some of the disastrous outcomes at Jutland were a direct result. Whereas Germany, who built her dry docks 10 years later than Portsmouth, built theirs wider, = more stable and more armour.  I personally subscribe to the poor ammunition handling practices of the RN in 1916 AND ships designed to have a global reach (food, accom for months) rather than a German Fleet built for short 3 day cruises out into the North Sea.

Finally, for those living in the Portsmouth area, 14 docis currently being "cleaned" up in preparation for future Type 26/45 refits. Part of the work is digging deeper around the area where the sonar domes will sit and the cutting into stone, laid by the Victorians all taken from that eyesore that is the big cutting in the side of Portsdown hill. 

Thanks Fights, glad the scale looks about right, and thanks for posting the pics of the dock and the Type 45 - very nice!!

I built the caisson based on a similar pic with HMS Westminster so new version on that as well I think - hope the old ones weren't too different 😉

There's what looks like an undercut or angled section in the vertical plane at the far end where it meets the blockwork of the dockwork, do you know why it's designed like that? I assume the caisson slides out of the way under the roadway to the top of your pic - is that right?

Your comment about the width of the docks and the ships beams is really interesting, I hadn't heard of that. Would the 14 and 15 dock have even been long enough for a WW1 Battle Cruiser? I know Repulse and Renown (and then Hood) where very long but I don't about the pre war Battle Cruiser designs that suffered at Jutland? 

Cheers

Nick

14 Dock is longer than 15. i think the first ships built here were TERRIBLE & POWERFUL (big 4 funneled armoured cruisers) in the 1890's that were supposed to be cheaper than BBs, but having the speed to chaise down any enemy ship that could threaten British merchant ships. POWERFUL (I Think) was Captained by the famous Percy Scott during the Boar War & Boxer Rebellion where shore parties from the ship were considered a success (and the legend of the Field Gun Competition comes from).

Neither 14 or 15 dock could accomodate HOOD, but in 1912, 9 lock (and the area around the coaling Jetty) were re built into C & D lock which could. Hyperlink takes you to Pompey Dockyard History (& if you look at image hidden behind title, you can see the Carrier Victorious sat in D Lock.  Pompey Dockyard Timeline

Today the new Queen Elizabeth Carrier will not fit, so she is limited to KGV Dock in Southampton, Rosyth (but I doubt they'll want to take her under bridge again!) or the Netherlands.

The Caissons are effectively boats that when the dock is flooded, are then in turn floated out of the way (complete with road on top). These caissons can be partially flooded themselves thus going "up" & "down" to complete the seal and provide a road across when "down".

Not seen, but I think the film "Les Miserables" (sp?) with Russell Crow had a scene filmed in A dock with theconvicts pulling in a ship (right next to 15 dock)  https://findthatlocation.com/film-title/les-miserables/location/498

must be 20 years ago that I was on INVINCIBLE next to D Lock when HMS BELFAST was dry docked in for her inspections.  D Lock HMS BELFAST 1999 D Lock This is where I think she got her current camouflage paint job(??) This is the google Earth (from 1999) picture that shows the size of D Lock that could accommodate HOOD Google Earth 1999 (you can see INVINCIBLE to North West

1 hour ago, Ratch said:

Astounding.... takes your breath away

Cheers Ratch, appreciate it 👍

1 hour ago, FIGHTS ON said:

14 Dock is longer than 15. i think the first ships built here were TERRIBLE & POWERFUL (big 4 funneled armoured cruisers) in the 1890's that were supposed to be cheaper than BBs, but having the speed to chaise down any enemy ship that could threaten British merchant ships. POWERFUL (I Think) was Captained by the famous Percy Scott during the Boar War & Boxer Rebellion where shore parties from the ship were considered a success (and the legend of the Field Gun Competition comes from).

Neither 14 or 15 dock could accomodate HOOD, but in 1912, 9 lock (and the area around the coaling Jetty) were re built into C & D lock which could. Hyperlink takes you to Pompey Dockyard History (& if you look at image hidden behind title, you can see the Carrier Victorious sat in D Lock.  Pompey Dockyard Timeline

Today the new Queen Elizabeth Carrier will not fit, so she is limited to KGV Dock in Southampton, Rosyth (but I doubt they'll want to take her under bridge again!) or the Netherlands.

The Caissons are effectively boats that when the dock is flooded, are then in turn floated out of the way (complete with road on top). These caissons can be partially flooded themselves thus going "up" & "down" to complete the seal and provide a road across when "down".

Not seen, but I think the film "Les Miserables" (sp?) with Russell Crow had a scene filmed in A dock with theconvicts pulling in a ship (right next to 15 dock)  https://findthatlocation.com/film-title/les-miserables/location/498

must be 20 years ago that I was on INVINCIBLE next to D Lock when HMS BELFAST was dry docked in for her inspections.  D Lock HMS BELFAST 1999 D Lock This is where I think she got her current camouflage paint job(??) This is the google Earth (from 1999) picture that shows the size of D Lock that could accommodate HOOD Google Earth 1999 (you can see INVINCIBLE to North West

Great links and info Fights - thank you. I was going to ask if you knew where the battle cruisers would've been docked and the QE class carriers.

I'm sure there's a mention somewhere of the bottom of one of the docks being widened to accommodate the bilge keels of (I think) the Nelsons so they must of been width constrained at some point. I also found a pick of the battle cruiser Queen Mary in 14 dock in 1915, so I answered my own question 😀 

I must admit, I feel a bit stupid thinking that that caissons would 'slide' out of the way under the adjacent dock side!!

Thanks for the explanation I spent ages looking at the limited pics I had trying to work it out, makes perfect sense now you've explained it.

Cheers

Nick