1/48 Seafire XVII

zebra

Getting back on the horse after the disappointing early end to the Super Etendard build. Having just finished an Airfix Spitfire Vb in the RAF centenary GB and been left wondering why it had been 30+ years between Spitfire models, here's another - the Airfix Seafire XVII. This will be part of a slightly ambitious Griffon Spitfire/Seafire triple build along with the Airfix PR.XIX and the Eduard/Airfix F.22/24 - ambitious because I'm going to try to get all three done before overseas travel curtails my modelling at the start of June - but given how quickly the Vb went together I think it can be done.

Here's the box shot. I also have a Freightdog decal sheet, Eduard masks and Quickboost exhausts. Plus I have two Barracuda carburettor intakes and one set of Barracuda 5-blade props so will need to decide which kits get those. If I get time after work I'll start tomorrow.

Airfix Seafire XVII

• Like 3

good to see a small setback with the other build hasn't stopped you from cracking on with another build. (plus is a great way to refresh the mojo)

That does look like a nice looking model, I haven't seen one of these built before so I'll be following with some interest.

Well good luck with this one, hopefully she'll be smooth sailing with this build.

• Thanks 1

Off to a good start today. I'm doing this more or less OOB but decided I needed a better instrument panel than the kit provides, and it needed seat belts. Didn't have anything specifically for the Seafire but did have a spare PE set for the Spitfire Vb - somehow I bought two, and I've been cannibalising the spare for other builds (the seat belts went into the Airfix Walrus, for example) - so decided the Vb IP would be close enough for my purposes and used that. The seat belts are from an Eduard steel seat belt set - I have to say I really like the steel PE, they're nice and flexible and easy to bend to shape.

Here's a not-very-good shot of the cockpit before I closed up the fuselage:

Seafire XVII WIP

Fuselage is together and waiting for the seams to be cleaned up, wings are assembled too - they needed a little filler on the leading edges. Here's the state of play with the triple build - Seafire XVII and Spitfire XIX leading the way, with the 22 barely started:

Spitfire triple build WIP

Thanks for looking

Z

• Like 2

Thanks Rich. Yes I’m going to have to pay close attention to which kit is which. There’s a good chance the PR.XIX will end up with guns and the Seafire will have a PR wing if I’m not careful.

yes that’s the Micro Mir Argosy in the background, my other build in the RAF centenary GB

Not a lot of time spent on the Seafire today - too much time faffing about with the resin cockpit in the Spitfire 22 - but the wing is on. There's a bit of a step where the rear of the centre section meets the fuselage, and I'll use a bit of filler at the roots, but still a fairly good fit.

The triple build all together - the Seafire is on the right:

Spitfire WIP

• Like 2

Great progress Z those Airfix Seafires are superb kit's I built the 1990's release a while ago still stand's up well among today's releases.

Edited by stevej60

14 hours ago, trickyrich said:

gee you are very busy there!

Just trying to get a few models finished before I take a break in the middle of the year

2 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Great progress Z those Airfix Seafires are superb kit's I built the 1990's release a while ago still stand's up well among today's relaeses.

Thanks Steve. They're great kits, really enjoying them.

More progress today - not a lot, been busy with other things - got the wing roots cleaned up and attached various bits to the nose and tail. That's it for a few days - off to Brisbane for work tomorrow - but might get some paint on next weekend.

Seafire XVII WIP

• Like 2

don't you hate it when work gets in the way of modelling!! My first day sort of back at work (doing other stuff before my new project starts) after having 4 weeks off.....think I'm ready for more holidays!!!

• Like 1

As predicted, no modelling during the week this week. Not had quite as much time as I'd have liked this weekend either, but did get some paint onto the Seafire. I've decided to go with a dark slate grey/extra dark sea grey/sky scheme - painted the sky and the EDSG so far.

Seafire XVII WIP

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Basilisk said:

Looking great Zebra. :thumbsup: Does look rather different in naval colours.

Cheers, Peter

Thanks Peter. Have to say I really like this scheme, seems to really work on the XVII

23 hours ago, trickyrich said:

gee she does look really neat in that colour scheme and she's nicely finished as well. Lovely work. :thumbsup:

22 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Look's superb!

Thanks chaps. Have to say I’m liking a clean finish at the moment. I seem to swing between wanting to weather them and wanting to keep them clean. Clean seems to be winning right now!

just realised I forgot to attach the gunsight before I stuck the canopy on. Ah well, now I have a gunsight for the Sea Fury

After the war aircraft seem to be kept very clean.  I would put some light exhaust staining and leave it at that.  You have an excellent finish aped the model look superb.  So I don't think I would change it..

Great job, well done..

• Thanks 1

Getting there. Main job this weekend was to paint the prop and spinner - Tamiya masking tape for curves came in handy on the spinner. Just the wheels to do now.

Seafire WIP

• Like 2

Finished this and the other two Griffon Spits today. This one's my favourite of the three. This short burst of Spitfire building has really rekindled my love of the type - I don't think it's going to stop here, although it's probably going to be a while before I build another.

One photo here - more in the gallery.

1/48 Seafire XVII

That's my modelling done for now, work and travel commitments will keep me away from the bench until mid-July, but I'll keep up with all the builds going on in this excellent group build.

thanks for looking

Z

• Like 2

a really lovely finished model Z, I hope you're proud of her, I think anyone would be.

I do hope you enjoyed your build, it was great to follow and I look forward to following more of your builds.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, trickyrich said:

a really lovely finished model Z, I hope you're proud of her, I think anyone would be.

I do hope you enjoyed your build, it was great to follow and I look forward to following more of your builds.

Thanks Rich. I did enjoy this one. On a bit of a break from modelling now but I’ll be getting stuck in to the Airfix, Brits Abroad and 60s NATO v Warpac GBs from mid-July