Sherman tanks in the PTO ...

Etienne

Hello guys,

thanks for your comments 😎 ... not much work around the M4A3 today but good news, Ann got her tracks this morning 😀

Those are Friuls T54E1 tracks ... they gives a very nice effect with the Asuka adjustable idlers !!

For those interested, a small review of Sherman's workable tracks is available here ... https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235038960-sherman-tracks-review/

img_1264.jpg
img_1266.jpg
img_1265.jpg

Cheers E

• Like 10

47 minutes ago, bigfoot said:

That is a thing of beauty! Are the yellow decals on the side  kit or from somewhere else?

Hi,

the decals come from a Bison Decal set for Iwo Jima 3rd Tk Bn Shermans ... out of print however, I was lucky enough to find one.

E

Well, I considered the overall build done ... so now it's time to prime and give a base coat to this M4A3 !!

The modulation is pretty dark on the hull and sides but remember they will be covered with sandbags and wood planks 

img_1268.jpg
img_1272.jpg
img_1271.jpg
img_1274.jpg
img_1269.jpg

Some shell impacts on the glacis ...

img_1275.jpg
img_1276.jpg

and a preview of the wood planks installed

img_1273.jpg

Time to close the bench, base coat is OK ... probably need some highlights, but next week end 

img_1270.jpg
img_1267.jpg
img_1277.jpg

Cheers, E

• Like 8

Hi,

after a long and grueling reflexion, I decided to go for the red brown camouflage ... given that the spikes are very fragile, no way to mask so everything was done free hand ... stressful but rather nice, I think 😎

img_1210.jpg
img_1212.jpg
img_1211.jpg

Cheers, E

• Like 10

Thanks guys for your comments 😊

I reworked the wood planking and installed it temporarly ... painted and highlighted, just need a touch of camo 😉

img_1213.jpg
img_1214.jpg

Cheers, E

• Like 7

Hello,

this morning, I completed the camo ... with a simple brush this time, as the nature of balsa wood creates a natural and subtle feathering, not far from the smooth edge of free hand airbrushing  😎

However, I have a new problem ... not way to paint the numbers, i treid several time but either I don't have the right brush or I don't have the correct hand 😱 ... looking for 4 to 5 mm stencil templates for numbers, any ideas ?

img_1216.jpg
img_1217.jpg
img_1215.jpg

Cheers, E

• Like 5

The cammo's looking good Etienne. The only suggestion that I can give for the stencils, is to cut your own ones from Frisk Film. Not sure if it's available here in France, but if it is, then art supply shops might stock it. Alternatively, it's available on line.

HTH's.

John. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

The cammo's looking good Etienne. The only suggestion that I can give for the stencils, is to cut your own ones from Frisk Film. Not sure if it's available here in France, but if it is, then art supply shops might stock it. Alternatively, it's available on line.

HTH's.

John. 

Thanks John 😎

I tried to cut stencil in masking tape, no easy but I was able to make 7-8mm numbers that look good, but I need smaller ones for this Sherman and I think the limit is not the material but my hand 😕

I saw Eduard's spray stencils for german numbers ... might give a try !

Frisket film would be a good alternative if I had a laser cutting device ... I'd love to so I could make every markings with stencils, but it's probably a little bit of overkill for a recreational modeller 🤨

Cheers, E

Don't know if this is over the top but @CedB and @TheBaron over in aviation WIP's have both used these to good effect for making masks etc. 

www.amazon.co.uk/Silhouettes-Portrait-Digital-Cutting-White/dp/B076B5PRCG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1528706862&sr=8-4&keywords=Silhouette+cutter

Your Sherman's looking top notch like how you have done the camo:

Roger

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Hamden said:

Don't know if this is over the top but @CedB and @TheBaron over in aviation WIP's have both used these to good effect for making masks etc. 

www.amazon.co.uk/Silhouettes-Portrait-Digital-Cutting-White/dp/B076B5PRCG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1528706862&sr=8-4&keywords=Silhouette+cutter

Your Sherman's looking top notch like how you have done the camo:

Roger

have seen these (or similar) on create&craft shopping channel and always thought they would be useful for stencils (if a little expensive)

• Like 1

Thanks guys for the infos ... I think I read a review about this kind of machine and it seems able to event cut thin styrene sheets 🤔

Perhaps something I'll try someday ... but for the moment, I found some small numbers stencils on Ebay, let's see what I am able to do with those ...

Cheers, E

Edited by Etienne

Hello guys,

fairly light update today ... pin wash, filters, washes and to end the day, I assembled Panda tracks, still have to add the duckbills 😉

img_1311.jpg
img_1310.jpg
img_1312.jpg
img_1313.jpg

Cheers, E

• Like 3

Hello,

not too much details of the process but here is the result of my week end's session ...

> identification marks were stenciled : numbers with PE masks and the diamonds with masking tape ... had to make some small corrections, but the imperfactions give a touch of realism, I guess

> duckbills on the tracks, then they were primed, painted and weathered ... for those who consider adding duckbills to Panda tracks DON'T USE EXTRA THIN CEMENT as it will flow in the connectors and you'll end up with not workable tracks 😉 I personnaly use a more viscous cement and it worked like a charm.

> installed the wood planks with resin bolts.

Still have to add sand bag and some other stuff ... then dust and grime !!

img_1314.jpg
img_1316.jpg
img_1315.jpg
img_1317.jpg
img_1318.jpg

Cheers, E

• Like 6