Whitley MK.V

This will be my “on leave” project. I'm not sure if four weeks will be long enough to complete it but we'll see.

I grew up only a couple of miles from RAF Leeming at Exelby, the crabs among you will probably know it, so a Leeming aircraft had to go in my cabinet at some point.

Ive done quite a bit of reading recently about 4 & 6 Groups. One of the books being “The Whitley Boys”. A particularly poignant part for me is where the author says on arrival at Leeming from Dishforth 10 Sqn. quickly adopted the Green Dragon in Bedale as their local, the pub where I spent probably too much of my own leave but where I met my wife.

This will be my tribute to the young men who served at RAF Leeming and especially those that never returned for a pint in “The Dragon”.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I love the Whitley so I shall be keeping an eye on this.

Martian

Great!

I'm being left to my own devices today so unless I am going to be left a list of jobs to do there should be some good progress made. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Watcher said:

Following this one with interest as its next out of my stash. Thinking about doing some of the smaller windows with Krystal Klear; what do you think?

I've just put the small windows in the fuselage this afternoon. I'll post some photo's shortly and then you can judge for yourself if Krstal klear is a better option, having never used that method I can't really comment. I will say  though the way it is engineered the kit wondows are pretty foolproof. 

Thgis is really going together beautifully. In my limited experience I have never had a kit go together as well as this before.

Wings done, I'm not sure why it came as a surprise but they're big! 😄

IMG_5990IMG_5989

Edited by Roger Newsome
  • Like 6

Further inspiration arrived in the post yesterday, From Hull, Hell and Halifax- An Illustated History Of No 4 Group 1937-1948 by Chris Blanchett. 

Recently when I'm out walking the dog over the fields I've found myself looking over towards Leeming and imagining seeing Whitley's circling, taking off and landing, I may need help. 😵

• Like 2
  • Haha 1